The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

It's massive risk that could cost us 3rd

A risk/mistake, that was made in the Summer when you decided to run with Main as your only, permanent, 2nd choice striker.

Maybe just me but you've always looked like a club that don't particularly plan things that well. Signings are just sort of made on a vague idea of what McInnes wants to do with the knowledge he thinks the players joining are good, so he'll figure it out once they've joined.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Difficult to know for sure how Hornby will turn out, but at least it's a bit more imaginative and exciting than Hendry. If worse comes to worst, we will have to suffer with Main for a few months and hopefully just about scrape home in third. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

A risk/mistake, that was made in the Summer when you decided to run with Main as your only, permanent, 2nd choice striker.

Very few non-OF clubs carry a squad with 3 or 4 ready to go, experienced strikers. 

We took on Watkins, with Cosgrove and Main there as well, on top of having some good attacking midfielders in Hayes, Hedges, Wright etc. 

If all had remained injury free (Watkins especially) there's a pretty reasonable chance we would be sitting 2nd in the league at this moment. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hornby is an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you will have for 4 months.

Cosgrove was an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you signed in January and played for 4 months.

Really, really, hard to see why I'm drawing comparisons between the two.

Hornby has far less senior minutes and goals than Bruce Anderson, yet you've got folk on here claiming he's a "proven goalscorer".

Maybe those people don’t discount goals for the under 21s as readily as you do.  

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Very few non-OF clubs carry a squad with 3 or 4 ready to go, experienced strikers. 

We took on Watkins, with Cosgrove and Main there as well, on top of having some good attacking midfielders in Hayes, Hedges, Wright etc. 

If all had remained injury free (Watkins especially) there's a pretty reasonable chance we would be sitting 2nd in the league at this moment. 

Aye, but Watkins would likely still be away this window, as would Edmondson.

So you'd still be in this position.

Could the money committed to the McCrorie deal not have been better spent elsewhere?

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

Maybe those people don’t discount goals for the under 21s as readily as you do.  

As I say, most of us his U21 goals came v San Marino and Andorra. 

If you're about to tell me that I'm the idiot for thinking they don't show he's a proven goalscorer at top flight level, then batter on by all means.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

RG is actually making some fair points as to whether we’re signing a striker ready to hit the ground running in the next few months. 

And if that was his only point then fair enough but when you have to start saying goals against certain teams or before a certain date don’t count it just reeks of pedantry.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe just me but you've always looked like a club that don't particularly plan things that well. Signings are just sort of made on a vague idea of what McInnes wants to do with the knowledge he thinks the players joining are good, so he'll figure it out once they've joined.

We had a loan deal with Watkins, unfortunately for us he got injured or I positive we would have extended his deal.

Don't agree with your point that Mcinnes doesnt plan as if he didn't then we wouldnt be as high up the league. He does go with a smaller squad than most clubs as he wants quality over quantity but when you have a fair few injuries then it does get a bit difficult.

5 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Surely there are some players in the lower leagues that could fill the role that Cosgrove had. If not, Scottish fitba is in a poor state.

That seems to be a bit of a blind spot for us in the Mcinnes era. Besides some youth players I can’t really think of just about any players brought in from the lower leagues up here. Deals like Nisbet to Hibs just never seem likely.

15 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

And if that was his only point then fair enough but when you have to start saying goals against certain teams or before a certain date don’t count it just reeks of pedantry.

Good luck debating with him without pedantry involved. I rarely give him any credit so I’m being charitable. 

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Could the money committed to the McCrorie deal not have been better spent elsewhere?

We could have also avoided spending £400,000 on Stevie May and then freeing him to a bottom 6 club.

McCrorie has been a success for us.

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I presume you're having a wee laugh here ?

McCrorie has been one of the stars of the season, for any club. The money we're paying to Rangers is a complete bargain considering that he'll turn into a Scotland international and make us a heap of cash when he's eventually sold on.

McInnes takes a lot of criticism in the transfer market (a lot of it from St Johnstone fans bizarrely) but I defy anyone to say that any other manager in Scotland has done better business in the last few years than bringing in Ferguson and McCrorie for comparative buttons.

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

That seems to be a bit of a blind spot for us in the Mcinnes era. Besides some youth players I can’t really think of just about any players brought in from the lower leagues up here. Deals like Nisbet to Hibs just never seem likely.

Found one. Callum Morris from Utd. 

39 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

My point was he's not a "proven goalscorer", because he has 3 senior goals and is 22.

Countered by his youth goals, which was countered by the fact over 50% were against San Marino and Andorra, and I don't think thats a level of opponent that's relevant to the Scottish top flight.

It's all very simple.

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I presume you're having a wee laugh here ?

McCrorie has been one of the stars of the season, for any club. The money we're paying to Rangers is a complete bargain considering that he'll turn into a Scotland international and make us a heap of cash when he's eventually sold on.

McInnes takes a lot of criticism in the transfer market (a lot of it from St Johnstone fans bizarrely) but I defy anyone to say that any other manager in Scotland has done better business in the last few years than bringing in Ferguson and McCrorie for comparative buttons.

Aye, criticising the mccrorie deal is absolutely bizarre. Exactly the type of signing we should be making.