The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

It unsurprisingly gets worse. That’s a depressing 18 point return from a possible 42. Over the course of a season that sort of form would have us bottom 4.

Edit to correct : wiped away my tears and fingered through the archives again. I think it’s stick on bottom 5 / bottom 6 form.

Guest Bob Mahelp

That's most certainly not the first time Lewis has cost us the game with an absolute howler early on in the game. It's not just the goal, it's the fact that he obviously loses it and it spreads through the team. 

He's the fucking captain for God's sake, and his mistake and then his body language drag the whole side down. He's completely incapable of lifting the team. 

Why can't McInnes recognise this ? It's time for Lewis to be rested for his own good and for the good of the team, and quietly told that the captaincy is passing on to an outfield player. 

We're just stuck in a groundhog day of making the same errors over and over again. 

Too many players, and a manager too, who have been coasting for too long now - the sort who probably thought the 0-0 draw with St Johnstone was actually a good result and were quite happy with it. Almost certainly a bit simplistic, but there isn't enough anger, ambition or drive for my liking. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's most certainly not the first time Lewis has cost us the game with an absolute howler early on in the game. It's not just the goal, it's the fact that he obviously loses it and it spreads through the team. 

He's the fucking captain for God's sake, and his mistake and then his body language drag the whole side down. He's completely incapable of lifting the team. 

Why can't McInnes recognise this ? It's time for Lewis to be rested for his own good and for the good of the team, and quietly told that the captaincy is passing on to an outfield player. 

We're just stuck in a groundhog day of making the same errors over and over again. 

🤣

We'd barely strung a pass together before the goal mate. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't understand how replacing Lewis with an objectively worse goalkeeper and giving the captaincy to an outfield player, who presumably isn't capable of showing leadership without a band on his arm for some reason, is going to improve our performances.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Merkland Red said:

🤣

We'd barely strung a pass together before the goal mate. 

Aye, aye. I know.  And any team can go behind in a game. 

But Lewis fucks up and then he spends the next 20 minutes either staring at the ground or panicking wildly. It spreads to the defence and within 10  minutes we've lost another goal and frankly could be 3 or 4 down. 

Just when we need a captain to lift the side and get players back and focussed, we've got a guy who looks like he'll literally drop any ball that comes towards him. 

I can't imagine Woods could do any worse, and we would have the advantage of passing the captaincy to Considine or Ferguson. Time for Lewis to take a rest. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye, aye. I know.  And any team can go behind in a game. 

But Lewis fucks up and then he spends the next 20 minutes either staring at the ground or panicking wildly. It spreads to the defence and within 10  minutes we've lost another goal and frankly could be 3 or 4 down. 

Just when we need a captain to lift the side and get players back and focussed, we've got a guy who looks like he'll literally drop any ball that comes towards him. 

I can't imagine Woods could do any worse, and we would have the advantage of passing the captaincy to Considine or Ferguson. Time for Lewis to take a rest. 

It was nothing to do with panicking. It was a horrendous wind. The same wind that had their keeper drop a cross and misjudge a punch. Unfortunately for us he didn't drop the ball in to their net.

It doesn't matter who the captain is. Roy Keane said his job as Captain was to police the dressing room, make sure the other players train hard and sort comp tickets out for the players. The leadership he showed on the pitch came naturally. You don't need an armband for that.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Work rate and desire from Livingston is something that our players need to learn from. I would give Ferguson and Hornby pass marks but the rest were absolutely honking.

Keep playing like that and we will finish 5th. Creativity non existent.

The only player that did anything in the first half was Lewis Ferguson, and he looked like the only one who cared. I thought that Ferguson again in the second was by far and away our best player and the one who looked like scoring, in fact he did. Players that stepped up after the break were Dean Campbell, who had a really good half, Callum Hendry and Matty Kennedy, although some of his crosses left a bit to be desired.

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I don't understand how replacing Lewis with an objectively worse goalkeeper and giving the captaincy to an outfield player, who presumably isn't capable of showing leadership without a band on his arm for some reason, is going to improve our performances.

And in that statement you have identified 1 of the main issues. For all the signings, 3rd biggest budget or whatever it is etc., there are basically no leaders in the team. 
I totally agree though with those who say Lewis shouldn’t be captain, it needs to change. 

We had the likes of Shinnie, McLean, Hayes, Reynolds and others giving us additional leadership when Jack was captain - they didn't need the armband to do it, although Shinnie eventually got it and Reynolds had it previously. If Ferguson, McCrorie and others genuinely are leaders, they also shouldn't need an armband to show it. It's a red herring. 

Love the fact that whenever a team loses its because they "lack leaders", as if grown men who've been playing football for ~10 years are completely lost on a football pitch without some grizzled 36yo CB shouting at them for 90 minutes.