The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I’d like to thank Derek McInnes and Tony Docherty for giving me seven /eight years of pretty consistent results to help to justify forcing my two sons to support Aberdeen from birth. They are now 32 and 30 and up until the arrival of McInnes and Docherty had really spent a pretty miserable existence as season tickets holders from around 1997. We have been able to go along to Pittodrie expecting rather than hoping to win, we have enjoyed great European nights both at Pittodrie and in front of the TV, we celebrated madly together at Celtic Park when Adam Rooney’s penalty hit the back of the net, and have generally enjoyed watching Aberdeen since they took over. Thanks for the memories Derek and Tony. Let’s hope the next manager can emulate these past seasons.

I will stand by my previous assertion.................and I'm looking at the big picture of the last 8 years, not just a couple of months when things have been admittedly dire.

20% chance this improves things.

30% chance they stay roughly the same.

50% chance we dip and all the European qualifications and appearances in semis/finals become a lot less frequent.

Over to you Mr Cormack..........

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’d like to thank Derek McInnes and Tony Docherty for giving me seven /eight years of pretty consistent results to help to justify forcing my two sons to support Aberdeen from birth. They are now 32 and 30 and up until the arrival of McInnes and Docherty had really spent a pretty miserable existence as season tickets holders from around 1997. We have been able to go along to Pittodrie expecting rather than hoping to win, we have enjoyed great European nights both at Pittodrie and in front of the TV, we celebrated madly together at Celtic Park when Adam Rooney’s penalty hit the back of the net, and have generally enjoyed watching Aberdeen since they took over. Thanks for the memories Derek and Tony. Let’s hope the next manager can emulate these past seasons.

0319A2E0-17E2-4247-9FF1-FDE2A93EB99E.gif

9 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

The players have to take a large part of the blame for sure.

What are your thoughts overall Joey? You've been one of DMs bigger fans recently while others have been calling for his removal. Were you still behind him or was it time to go?

I was still behind him, but deep down I can see why Cormack felt the decision had to be made. However, if it really is the intention for Paul Sheerin, Barry Robson and Simmie to see out the season, I really don’t get that. The Scottish Cup is there to be played for and to let a stand-in management team go after that, and the admittedly long odds chance of third still a possibility, makes no sense to me. Cormack may be concerned about season ticket sales, but there will be no difference in these figures by keeping Derek McInnes on until May 22nd or having a management team that definitely won’t be there next season, until  around the same date. The timing only makes sense if the new manager is in place before the start of the Scottish Cup for us in April.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Give me a shout lads as to when I should get the next manager thread up. @Ric has been good at keeping me updated for Premiership outgoings.

I've dropped the ball there, @Ludo*1 :( .. normally I like to sound the horn when your services are required...

RS0vvhO.jpg

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

A1C7CB4C-4651-4601-A98E-7118EA63F169.jpeg

A source close to the club has hinted to me that you may have chosen the wrong Saint related team manager. Apparently Cormack has been impressed by the happenings in Perth.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Pretty certain you won’t be posting anything similar when Gerrard makes the move down South in the summer, or before.

It’s inevitable at some point, agreed. Doesn’t stop a wee bit banter in the middle until it’s my/our turn to be on the receiving end.  But comparing Gerrard to McInnes in the same sentence? I’m not so sure. Maybe just lighten up? 

41 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'll set them up with a wee chip to the back post, you nod them in from a suspiciously offside position. 

You know of course what I mean. A club that sacks their manager year after year and slips further and further down the greasy pole until they're humiliated by relegation. 

Could be Hibs, could be Hearts, could be the Arabs. There's nothing written in stone that protects Aberdeen from the same fate. 

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered either deserved relegation.

So if there are any positional problems in the league for the Dons next season, the powers that be will simply bring the measuring tape out and starting sizing up Stranraer's floodlights, just in case another excuse is needed.

Edited by HibsFan

Guaranteed that however much time Sportsound give to this story tomorrow night, whichever “pundits” are on the show will be flabbergasted that a team can get rid of their manager whilst still having a possibility of being “best of the rest”. “Are their fans still living in the eighties?” “What more could Derek McInnes have done?” “The fans should be careful what they wish for.”  Kenny McIntyre will be leading the disbelief. Actually, some of my thoughts are in there, but I don’t want outsiders telling us what we should or shouldn’t do.

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

It’s inevitable at some point, agreed. Doesn’t stop a wee bit banter in the middle until it’s my/our turn to be on the receiving end.  But comparing Gerrard to McInnes in the same sentence? I’m not so sure. Maybe just lighten up? 

Not sure how you can read from my post that I’m comparing the two managers, but I am comparing the two similar scenarios of two teams losing their manager. And I’ll thank you to f*ck *ff with your “maybe just lighten up” comment on this of all evenings.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered deserved relegations.

So if there are any positional problems in the league for the Dons next season, the powers that be will bring the measuring tape out and starting sizing up Stranraer's floodlights, just in case another excuse is needed.

That's the beauty of being a big club, m9. 

Not some diddy pish that still manage to get relegated despite being 2 up against Hamilton. 

I'm really not sure what my overriding emotion is after this news. I was a fierce defender if McInnes up until the weekend but had decided after sitting through another turgid 90 mins on Saturday that it was probably time for a change.

The concern for me was becoming about the inability to arrest this slide, yes we are still 4th, yes we played some cracking stuff only 6 months ago but results have been woeful for a few months now and finishing 4th for a 3rd consecutive season marks serious regression.

This is an absolutely massive appointment for the club and it will be very important for whoever takes over to hit the ground running. The support seems very split at the moment and the #mcinnesoot brigade will probably be inclined to give any new manager a wee bit more time to get things right, whereas those who defended McInnes to the end may end up on the new managers back very quickly if things are ropey to start with.

As for McInnes, I think even the #mcinnesoot troops will look back on his tenure fondly. He made being an Aberdeen fan enjoyable for a sustained period of time. I'd forgotten what Hampden looked like and there were more great moments over the first 6 seasons than we'd had in the previous 25.

Is there a sense of entitlement among our supporters, absolutely, was it the right decision to part ways, sadly, yes.

28 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered either deserved relegation.

So if there are any positional problems in the league for the Dons next season, the powers that be will simply bring the measuring tape out and starting sizing up Stranraer's floodlights, just in case another excuse is needed.

It’s a bit like winning a cup with a last minute sclaff, or 1.0 on penalties when 9 players have missed, the record books will just simply show that the team won the cup. So just check back the records and I’ll think that you’ll find that Aberdeen have never been relegated. Unlike Hibs and almost every other team in Scotland. Have a look if you don’t believe me.

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure how you can read from my post that I’m comparing the two managers, but I am comparing the two similar scenarios of two teams losing their manager. And I’ll thank you to f*ck *ff with your “maybe just lighten up” comment on this of all evenings.

^^^ Head’s gone. (Am I doing this right?) 

Not sad that McInnes has gone but really worry about what the club thinks the next manager can achieve.

We won't finish higher than 3rd and if 4th is considered as unacceptable then that's a lot of pressure to put a new manager under straightaway especially when you consider how many new signings are required and the likelihood that new signings will take time to gel.

If Cormack is serious about the number of season tickets that he spoke about last month then he really is going to have to go some with this appointment.

EtLVnu6XAAM-gcn.jpeg

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Not sad that McInnes has gone but really worry about what the club thinks the next manager can achieve.

We won't finish higher than 3rd and if 4th is considered as unacceptable then that's a lot of pressure to put a new manager under straightaway especially when you consider how many new signings are required and the likelihood that new signings will take time to gel.

If Cormack is serious about the number of season tickets that he spoke about last month then he really is going to have to go some with this appointment.

EtLVnu6XAAM-gcn.jpeg

Finishing 4th is a red herring. The issue is the football, run of form and how the manager operates in the transfer market.

We tend to forget that it's an entertainment industry. Most people pay to be entertained. We're steadily selling less season tickets each year. Average attendance is dropping after hitting a peak a few years ago. Something had to be done.