The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guaranteed that however much time Sportsound give to this story tomorrow night, whichever “pundits” are on the show will be flabbergasted that a team can get rid of their manager whilst still having a possibility of being “best of the rest”. “Are their fans still living in the eighties?” “What more could Derek McInnes have done?” “The fans should be careful what they wish for.”  Kenny McIntyre will be leading the disbelief. Actually, some of my thoughts are in there, but I don’t want outsiders telling us what we should or shouldn’t do.

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

It’s inevitable at some point, agreed. Doesn’t stop a wee bit banter in the middle until it’s my/our turn to be on the receiving end.  But comparing Gerrard to McInnes in the same sentence? I’m not so sure. Maybe just lighten up? 

Not sure how you can read from my post that I’m comparing the two managers, but I am comparing the two similar scenarios of two teams losing their manager. And I’ll thank you to f*ck *ff with your “maybe just lighten up” comment on this of all evenings.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered deserved relegations.

So if there are any positional problems in the league for the Dons next season, the powers that be will bring the measuring tape out and starting sizing up Stranraer's floodlights, just in case another excuse is needed.

That's the beauty of being a big club, m9. 

Not some diddy pish that still manage to get relegated despite being 2 up against Hamilton. 

I'm really not sure what my overriding emotion is after this news. I was a fierce defender if McInnes up until the weekend but had decided after sitting through another turgid 90 mins on Saturday that it was probably time for a change.

The concern for me was becoming about the inability to arrest this slide, yes we are still 4th, yes we played some cracking stuff only 6 months ago but results have been woeful for a few months now and finishing 4th for a 3rd consecutive season marks serious regression.

This is an absolutely massive appointment for the club and it will be very important for whoever takes over to hit the ground running. The support seems very split at the moment and the #mcinnesoot brigade will probably be inclined to give any new manager a wee bit more time to get things right, whereas those who defended McInnes to the end may end up on the new managers back very quickly if things are ropey to start with.

As for McInnes, I think even the #mcinnesoot troops will look back on his tenure fondly. He made being an Aberdeen fan enjoyable for a sustained period of time. I'd forgotten what Hampden looked like and there were more great moments over the first 6 seasons than we'd had in the previous 25.

Is there a sense of entitlement among our supporters, absolutely, was it the right decision to part ways, sadly, yes.

28 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Oh how I wish that was true, but Aberdeen have finished in the relegation zone twice in their history and yet somehow have not suffered either deserved relegation.

So if there are any positional problems in the league for the Dons next season, the powers that be will simply bring the measuring tape out and starting sizing up Stranraer's floodlights, just in case another excuse is needed.

It’s a bit like winning a cup with a last minute sclaff, or 1.0 on penalties when 9 players have missed, the record books will just simply show that the team won the cup. So just check back the records and I’ll think that you’ll find that Aberdeen have never been relegated. Unlike Hibs and almost every other team in Scotland. Have a look if you don’t believe me.

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure how you can read from my post that I’m comparing the two managers, but I am comparing the two similar scenarios of two teams losing their manager. And I’ll thank you to f*ck *ff with your “maybe just lighten up” comment on this of all evenings.

^^^ Head’s gone. (Am I doing this right?) 

Not sad that McInnes has gone but really worry about what the club thinks the next manager can achieve.

We won't finish higher than 3rd and if 4th is considered as unacceptable then that's a lot of pressure to put a new manager under straightaway especially when you consider how many new signings are required and the likelihood that new signings will take time to gel.

If Cormack is serious about the number of season tickets that he spoke about last month then he really is going to have to go some with this appointment.

EtLVnu6XAAM-gcn.jpeg

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Not sad that McInnes has gone but really worry about what the club thinks the next manager can achieve.

We won't finish higher than 3rd and if 4th is considered as unacceptable then that's a lot of pressure to put a new manager under straightaway especially when you consider how many new signings are required and the likelihood that new signings will take time to gel.

If Cormack is serious about the number of season tickets that he spoke about last month then he really is going to have to go some with this appointment.

EtLVnu6XAAM-gcn.jpeg

Finishing 4th is a red herring. The issue is the football, run of form and how the manager operates in the transfer market.

We tend to forget that it's an entertainment industry. Most people pay to be entertained. We're steadily selling less season tickets each year. Average attendance is dropping after hitting a peak a few years ago. Something had to be done.

Guest TheJTS98
5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

You mean he did absolutely outstanding, performing above all expectations, and bringing a level of success not seen for decades.

To be honest, you'd have expected him to be the most successful Aberdeen manager for decades.

Nobody else got a run at it at a time when Rangers, Hearts, and Hibs all self-imploded in their own ways and disappeared from the top flight and had to rebuild. The fact that all these clubs' woes were self-inflicted doesn't change their impact on Aberdeen having three of the top flight's biggest wage bills removed from competition and set back while Aberdeen could simply move forward. Aberdeen would have been hard-pressed to not do pretty well in that context.

I think he did ok. Winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe a lot is not to be sniffed at. He was unfortunate to be up against a very strong Brendan Rodgers side. But when you put the timing of his era in a bit of context, it's also reasonable to have maybe expected a little bit more.

The next manager will probably be less successful. There's a functioning Rangers now, Celtic are still loaded, Hibs are stronger than they were when McInnes came in. There's simply more competition now from clubs that have a bit more money.

Edited by TheJTS98

The job McInnes did is easier said then done. Far too many harping on about Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and The Rangers not being in the league etc. So what. Thats football. You weren't good enough and were subsequently relegated. Hibs and Dundee Utd were in the exact same boat as ourselves when The Rangers went bust and Hearts entered administration. Hearts were punished for spending way way way beyond their means. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been relegated however they also wouldn't have won the 2 Scottish cups the previous decade nor finished 2nd that one season. Hearts in recent years have spent a fair amount (mostly on utter dross) in an attempt to compete with Aberdeen. James Anderson has poured 9 million into the club over the past 7 years yet they found themselves relegated once more and don't look like they will be up to much upon their return to the top flight -  certainly not with their current squad.

Aberdeen had been poorly run ever since Milne took charge in1998. It's historically Aberdeen's worst period from 1998-2012. In that period we still managed to finish 3rd, a number of 4th place finishes, a couple of cup finals and also reached the last 32 of the UEFA Cup - a feat no other side outside of the OF has ever managed. We put up with the likes of Steve Paterson as a cost cutting exercise along with Mark McGhee and the cult figure that was Ebbe Skovdahl.

McInnes came along and turned the entire club around. What he did was bring back our credibility. We were incredibly unfortunate that Celtic were so strong under Rodgers otherwise we probably would have added a few more trophies to the cabinet. We have been by far the most consistent side outside the OF during McInnes entire tenure. At last we have a training facility (regarded as the best in Scotland and will soon be adding indoor training pitches) and finally a Stadium (whether its by the beach or in Kingswell) is set to be delivered in the near future. We have a considerably more competent Chairmen in Cormack who has enlisted some serious investors from the US. 

This season has been completely derailed by injuries, Covid, the forced sale of players etc and has arguably been the main cause of McInnes recent demise. For a team currently going through historically one of their worst results runs -  to only be 3 points of third ain't bad. Remember Hibs have spent more on their side this season then Aberdeen. Over 500k on transfer fees and in January strengthened with the signings of Irvine and Cadden both of whom will be on very decent wages. They also spent a nominal fee of a goalie from Arsenal. Turned down significant transfer bids for 2 players. This is the same club that was pleading poverty at the start of the season and threatening to close down their youth academy to facilitate the transfer signings of Nisbett and Magennis. They took a gamble for the elusive third spot in the hope of making returns in Europe all while their is a global pandemic going on.

Hearts and Hibs fans in particular who think that Aberdeen will now revert back to the days of the 00's are grossly deluded. We have the infrastructure and backing of the board that any competent manager should be finishing third with the resources at Aberdeen. McInnes time was sadly coming to an end. Its time for a new era. Hopefully one with more trophies being added to the history records. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Guest TheJTS98
29 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The job McInnes did is easier said then done. Far too many harping on about Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and The Rangers not being in the league etc. So what. Thats football. You weren't good enough and were subsequently relegated. Hibs and Dundee Utd were in the exact same boat as ourselves when The Rangers went bust and Hearts entered administration. Hearts were punished for spending way way way beyond their means. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been relegated however they also wouldn't have won the 2 Scottish cups the previous decade nor finished 2nd that one season. Hearts in recent years have spent a fair amount (mostly on utter dross) in an attempt to compete with Aberdeen.

Absolutely none of this is relevant to the point that circumstances fell into McIness' lap. Who is to blame makes no difference to the facts on the ground. Those facts being that Aberdeen had three of their biggest-spending rivals removed and weakened.

For example, 2014-15 Aberdeen had the biggest top-flight average crowds outside Celtic. The next best-attended club had approximately 50% smaller crowds than Aberdeen. Adding together the crowds of the three teams who finished immediately behind Aberdeen just about got to Aberdeen's crowds.

Given a bit of time, that's a situation you'd expect success from.

I should think the next Aberdeen coach would be delighted were the circumstances of 2012-14 to be repeated.

Edited by TheJTS98

28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The job McInnes did is easier said then done. Far too many harping on about Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and The Rangers not being in the league etc. So what. Thats football. You weren't good enough and were subsequently relegated. Hibs and Dundee Utd were in the exact same boat as ourselves when The Rangers went bust and Hearts entered administration. Hearts were punished for spending way way way beyond their means. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been relegated however they also wouldn't have won the 2 Scottish cups the previous decade nor finished 2nd that one season. Hearts in recent years have spent a fair amount (mostly on utter dross) in an attempt to compete with Aberdeen. James Anderson has poured 9 million into the club over the past 7 years yet they found themselves relegated once more and don't look like they will be up to much upon their return to the top flight -  certainly not with their current squad.

Aberdeen had been poorly run ever since Milne took charge in1998. It's historically Aberdeen's worst period from 1998-2012. In that period we still managed to finish 3rd, a number of 4th place finishes, a couple of cup finals and also reached the last 32 of the UEFA Cup - a feat no other side outside of the OF has ever managed. We put up with the likes of Steve Paterson as a cost cutting exercise along with Mark McGhee and the cult figure that was Ebbe Skovdahl.

McInnes came along and turned the entire club around. What he did was bring back our credibility. We were incredibly unfortunate that Celtic were so strong under Rodgers otherwise we probably would have added a few more trophies to the cabinet. We have been by far the most consistent side outside the OF during McInnes entire tenure. At last we have a training facility (regarded as the best in Scotland and will soon be adding indoor training pitches) and finally a Stadium (whether its by the beach or in Kingswell) is set to be delivered in the near future. We have a considerably more competent Chairmen in Cormack who has enlisted some serious investors from the US. 

This season has been completely derailed by injuries, Covid, the forced sale of players etc and has arguably been the main cause of McInnes recent demise. For a team currently going through historically one of their worst results runs -  to only be 3 points of third ain't bad. Remember Hibs have spent more on their side this season then Aberdeen. Over 500k on transfer fees and in January strengthened with the signings of Irvine and Cadden both of whom will be on very decent wages. They also spent a nominal fee of a goalie from Arsenal. Turned down significant transfer bids for 2 players. This is the same club that was pleading poverty at the start of the season and threatening to close down their youth academy to facilitate the transfer signings of Nisbett and Magennis. They took a gamble for the elusive third spot in the hope of making returns in Europe all while their is a global pandemic going on.

Hearts and Hibs fans in particular who think that Aberdeen will now revert back to the days of the 00's are grossly deluded. We have the infrastructure and backing of the board that any competent manager should be finishing third with the resources at Aberdeen. McInnes time was sadly coming to an end. Its time for a new era. Hopefully one with more trophies being added to the history records. 

I preferred your "we are going to buy every good player in the league" content tbh, at least that was funny. This is just buzzword bingo. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

All of this is spot on IMO.

The Hibs/Hearts/Dundee United being out the league (plus **** death) stuff is bollocks. They were all shite/relegated/liquidated for a reason.

Also that chooses to ignore Hearts / Hibs / Dundee United never finished above us in the Mcinnes era , even when back in the league and competing with us. We also finished above a big spending tribute act (Sevco) twice.

Hearts and Hibs have not been far behind in playing budgets for a few years now and have usually been comfortably behind. Unless Hearts find another criminal like Romanov to bankroll them with Lithuanian pensioners money they will not be consistently ahead of us again.

Fair enough his time was up and it ended poorly but rewriting history to suggest he hasnt been a great manager for us is petty and clearly shite.

Edited by afc_blockhead

10 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Unless Hearts find another criminal like Romanov to bankroll them with Lithuanian pensioners money they will not be consistently ahead of us again.

Doesnt need to be a criminal - You have heard of James Anderson?