The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

44 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

A wee bit of cynicism there Merkland? Must admit, my heart lept when Cormack said he had taken advice from Alex Ferguson, then I remembered David Moyes. Says all the right things, so hopefully he can back this up with action. 

No no. I'm genuinely not getting too up or down about who gets the job. As long as the club feel they've done all they can to appoint the correct person then I'm happy. They just need to be fully backed.

Of the past four managers there was only two appointments I was happy with. Calderwood and Brown. 

I'm still not convinced this will turn out well, but some much needed comms and I am glad to hear they are going through due process and perhaps the sporadic fixture list over the coming weeks has worked out well in that respect.

The SAF comments were welcome, but I disagree that we are the hardest club to manage outwith the gruesomes, and would go as far to say it's harder.  Many fans' expectations are not far off them, and all on a fraction of the budget. We are a very difficult club to manage, as whoever comes in will need to keep the base level of consistency over the past few years going - and sprinkle in style, more big game mentality along with European progression and trophies in order to appease our support - hopefully the reward structure is aligned with that.

Coming back to Shinie and McDermid - I actually don't mind Shinie, find him affable enough and he's okay being part of the overall RedTV team, but I did listen the previous week and he was banging on about the cup runners-up getting into Europe, which means he's several years out of touch.  McDermid annoys me - complete yes man and a tad arrogant with it. Behaved like that in some of those Q&A sessions - turning them from the initial good open forums with the manager, to semi-patronising events with pre-vetted questions.  

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, d31 said:

I think we we will take our time. 

Paul Sheerin has the Dundee United game.

It's 2.5 weeks to our next game (Dumbarton or Huntly) and 3.5 weeks to our next league game.

I'd imagine Cormack is targeting the post split game to have a new team in place but used the language that Sheerin is in charge until the end of the season in case the best candidate is not available until the summer.

3.5 weeks should be enough time to go through a proper process.

1. Manager sacked. 8 March.

2. 1-2 weeks for Applications. 19 March. 

3. 1 weeks for Board review all Applications and make a short list of 5-6 candidates to invite for interview. 26 March.

4. 1 day for Board review Shortlist and decide if any further managers should be approached. 29 March.

5. 1 week for Interviews to begin from the candidates who applied. 29 March - 2 April

6. 1 week to approach any Managers(Clubs) who have not applied. 29 March - 2 April. 

7. Select final 2 candidates to propose to Board along with details of any Managers approached in the interim (eg estimated compensation). 5 April.

8. Board decision to make offer to manager (or pursue manager under contract). 5 April.

That would for example be a very realistic and thorough process. It allows applications, shortlisting and interview and then consider approaching managers not on the list.

If the manager is immediately available you'd have him in place before the post split fixtures commence. If Sheerin can come out of the Dundee Utd and Dumbarton/Huntly games undefeated then it's all good in the hood.

Or we could just appoint Stephen Glass now. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Or we could just appoint Stephen Glass now. 

Got to be seen to go through a process for those members of the board that might not be part of the expat community in Atlanta

22 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I think you're being negative. All he's guilty of doing is talking up the position.

Since the announcement, he and the fans have been bombarded with nonsense from the Scottish football media. Basically, trying to tell us to know our place and not strive for better, because we're doing as well as we can.

Cormack has came out and quite rightly reminded everyone this is fucking Aberdeen FC we're talking about, and intentionally name dropping Fergie was the icing to the cake on that point. 

"Let me ask this, is it wrong for Aberdeen fans to want more than one trophy in 26 years?"

Magic. What else can you want from your chairman? Can you imagine his predecessor saying anything like this? 

Granted, it's just words at this point but if this is the attitude of the club going forward, I'm all here for it. 

f**k the weegie media shit.

That’s fine and they’re great sound bites but it doesn’t do a huge amount for me. 

12 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Proof has to be in the pudding, but are you seriously not excited that someone with that attitude is running the show? 

Craig Whyte and Dave Kings said the things most **** wanted to hear.

Let's see if he delivers before we get excited.

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think Dave knows the right things to say. 

Well thank God for that, because nobody else at the club has seemed to understand the power of their message and the effect it has on supporters for the last 20 odd years.

Fergie changed the mentality of the club initially by words. Encouraging the players, making them believe they were the best in Scotland, making them believe that the club was hated, making them believe we would win league titles and cup finals.

All we've been hearing about the club recently is the fact that we've got to be realistic and don't expect too much. I've even heard supporters talk on here with same negative tones echoing what they have heard from the club (Milne & McInnes, the players like Considine, Smashie & Nicey)

A support that doesn't expect too much will be given a club that doesn't win too much

Cormack needs to knock that on the head if he wants the stadium to fill up. That was the message yesterday. We ain't lying down to the expectations the  West Coast media and the Gruesome Twosome have set for us. We're going to challenge their hegemony.

Like I said it's a good starter. He's already turned words to action by the removal of McInnes & Docherty before the season's end. His next test is the new appointment. However, the message yesterday was one of intent. He's drawn a line on the sand in which we can measure Aberdeen's performance both on and off the park.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Well thank God for that, because nobody else at the club has seemed to understand the power of their message and the effect it has on supporters for the last 20 odd years.

Fergie changed the mentality of the club initially by words. Encouraging the players, making them believe they were the best in Scotland, making them believe that the club was hated, making them believe we would win league titles and cup finals.

All we've been hearing about the club recently is the fact that we've got to be realistic and don't expect too much. I've even heard supporters talk on here with same negative tones echoing what they have heard from the club (Milne & McInnes, the players like Considine, Smashie & Nicey)

A support that doesn't expect too much will be given a club that doesn't win too much

Cormack needs to knock that on the head if he wants the stadium to fill up. That was the message yesterday. We ain't lying down to the expectations the  West Coast media and the Gruesome Twosome have set for us. We're going to challenge their hegemony.

Like I said it's a good starter. He's already turned words to action by the removal of McInnes & Docherty before the season's end. His next test is the new appointment. However, the message yesterday was one of intent. He's drawn a line on the sand in which we can measure Aberdeen's performance both on and off the park.

That's fine, I'm not here to piss on anyone's chips. If the intent is there that's great. But saying the words is very easy.

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Appreciated the explanation of why the decision has been made now, glad there appears to be a proper process in place. 

The rest felt a little like populist cormack telling us what we wanted to hear. Just get it right, Dave. 

Aye, I think you're right.

With all these motivators and winners and highly respected coaches about the place, how come we've only won 1 trophy in 26 years?

Edited by Jacksgranda
Serious, serious typo

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's fine, I'm not here to piss on anyone's chips. If the intent is there that's great. But saying the words is very easy.

It's a bit like setting out of an evening (when some of us were younger and single) to pull some Megan Fox lookalike in the pubs and clubs, but soon realising that Big Ina fae Rosemount Square is more realistic.

Competing with the top two if the budget remains at Hibs/Hearts level means we'll need a miracle worker.

In the 1980s, the two bigoted behemoths were not paying around 15-20 times our annual wage and transfer bill.

Still let's give Mr Cormack the benefit of the doubt - he's walked the walk in the corporate world, so maybe he has plans for this club that are way beyond what any of us believe.

Edited by tarapoa

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It's a bit like setting out of an evening (when some of us were younger and single) to pull some Megan Fox lookalike,  but soon realising that Big Ina fae Rosemount Square is a more realistic level.

Competing with the top two if the budget remains at Hibs/Hearts level means we'll need a miracle worker.

In the 1980s, the two bigoted behemoths were not paying around 15-20 times our annual wage and transfer bill.

Still let's give Mr Cormack the benefit of the doubt - he's walked the walk in the corporate world, so maybe he has plans for this club that are way beyond what any of us believe.

I don't have an issue with ambition, so long as it's supported by actions.

Ultimately that's where he should be judged, Dave likes the sound of his own voice and he's got the finger on the pulse of social media etc so he knows what to say to generate some goodwill.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I don't have an issue with ambition, so long as it's supported by actions.

Ultimately that's where he should be judged, Dave likes the sound of his own voice and he's got the finger on the pulse of social media etc so he knows what to say to generate some goodwill.

As I said, it's good for starters. One interview doesn't change 26 years of misery but if the remit of the interview was to give the fans assurances that due diligence would be followed in appointing the new manager whilst giving the fans hope for the future then it was achieved.

One action has already been taken but that was the easy part. It's the appointment that will prove more difficult. If Glass is appointed then there will be a suspicion that due diligence wasn't done and that will cause issues if we suffer poor results on the park.

However, it seems to me that the majority of fans can't see us any better than where McInnes had us. It's very depressing...

16 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

As I said, it's good for starters. One interview doesn't change 26 years of misery but if the remit of the interview was to give the fans assurances that due diligence would be followed in appointing the new manager whilst giving the fans hope for the future then it was achieved.

One action has already been taken but that was the easy part. It's the appointment that will prove more difficult. If Glass is appointed then there will be a suspicion that due diligence wasn't done and that will cause issues if we suffer poor results on the park.

However, it seems to me that the majority of fans can't see us any better than where McInnes had us. It's very depressing...

In my original post I said I was glad to hear a proper diligence process was being done.

As to your last point, I'm not sure you're basing that on anything really?

56 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't even think it's overly ambitious to simply ask the question why we haven't won more than one trophy in the last 26 years. It's a totally fair question when you consider our standing in Scottish football.  

If you take out the years of being $hit, luck of the draw (avoiding cheeks), form, refereeing decisions, key injuries/suspensions in semis etc......................the simple fact is that cup football is a bit different from league football, and regardless of the personnel in the dugout or on the park, the team can often freeze on these occasions.

I am convinced this is a psychological thing, which just gets worse as every year goes past (particularly in the Scottish Cup) - as the players know the reaction from supporters when we go out is invariably brutal - and then all the stats will be wheeled out about x club or y club having done this.

You're right - if the new manager can somehow overcome this, then they're on to something - but then will they be able to maintain the base league consistency and Euro qualifications that the McInnes era had us taking for granted again?

Edited by tarapoa