The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't take the league consistency for granted, but if at the start of every season you offered me 6th place and one of the two cups, I'd bite your hand off. 

It's hard to get excited about high finishes in a league you'll never win, high finishes that result in qualification for European competitions that you'll never qualify for. 

This isn't the EPL where the payouts are great dependant on final position, all we want is a bit of success. Not even that much, just a bit. 

Agree to an extent, albeit the much-discussed European restructuring probably means 3rd this season is a lot more rewarding than a League Cup.

If someone asks me who the top clubs are in Belgium, Austria or Slovakia - I'd look at the clubs who tend to finish at the top end of the league and are regularly in Europe - I wouldn't even glance at their cup competitions, particularly the League Cup equivalent, as most nations don't even bother with that.

Hampden is $hite anyway - much more fun following your team overseas to new and interesting places........(and Burnley).

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't take the league consistency for granted, but if at the start of every season you offered me 6th place and one of the two cups, I'd bite your hand off. 

It's hard to get excited about high finishes in a league you'll never win, high finishes that result in qualification for European competitions that you'll never qualify for.

This is an interesting trade off. I'm not sure if I would place a cup win above European qualification at this point in time. I want to know if McInnes' performances in Europe were down to his hitting a glass ceiling in terms of our budget/player quality or if would be possible to progress with a different guy in charge. 

Edited by Golden Gordon
Repetition t

7 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

This is an interesting trade off. I'm not sure if I would place a cup win above European qualification at this point in time. I want to know if McInnes' performances in Europe were down to his hitting a glass ceiling in terms of our budget/player quality or if would be possible to progress with a different guy in charge. 

There's an element of both. Most teams that knocked us out were above our level.

Kairat and Maribor were at best our equal. We just didn't get the luck v Maribor.

This isn't the EPL where the payouts are great dependant on final position, all we want is a bit of success. Not even that much, just a bit. 

Winning cups would be brilliant but we need to be aiming to capitalise on the changes to euro tournaments and make the group stages.

First priority is a cup of course but the group stages can enable us to increase our revenues which can increase our budget and then enable us to climb up a level.

Not unrealistic now and Scotland will have three in groups stages next season and the season after.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

As to your last point, I'm not sure you're basing that on anything really?

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

...but then will they be able to maintain the base league consistency and Euro qualifications that the McInnes era had us taking for granted again?

Voila!...and that's not unusual, I read it all the time on forums. That's no criticism of Tarapoa it's just I find the notion that Derek McInnes scaled the summit of our little mountain of 'realistic expectations' extremely unpalatable and defeatist.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

46 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's an element of both. Most teams that knocked us out were above our level.

Kairat and Maribor were at best our equal. We just didn't get the luck v Maribor.

We were more than capable of knocking Burnley, Maribor, Kairat, Apollon, and the leg weary Sporting Lisbon out just like Siroki Brijeg, Groningen, Rijeka the first time, Skendija, Fola Esch were more than capable of knocking us out.

I think only Real Sociedad performed at a class above our own due to their own talent. Rijeka, the second time, did beat us comfortably although that was a bitter pill to swallow because we could have had a team to compete against them. However, the scoreline would suggest that they outclassed us over both legs although there was nothing in it until Logan's mistake in the first leg which was crucial.

Maribor we should've buried even with the dodgy ref. It wasn't down to luck that Rooney missed that pen. We also let them off the hook in the match at Pittodrie which happened frequently under McInnes in European matches at Pittodrie.

Apollon we seemed to be beaten more by the heat than anything else although again that could point to our lack of fitness.

Sevco have been knocking out these type of teams for fun in the last couple of years and we've shown that we can much up to them when we don't throw the towel in before we come out of the changing rooms.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

30 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Voila!...and that's not unusual, I read it all the time on forums. That's no criticism of Tarapoa it's just I find the notion that Derek McInnes scaled the summit of our little mountain of 'realistic expectations' extremely unpalatable and defeatist.

I don't think McInnes scaled the summit - I think he possibly did in terms of the league consistency and win ratio, qualifying for Europe etc............albeit there was a drop-off the last two seasons.

The extra push would be the bottle to come out on the right end of more of our glass ceiling fixtures (latter Europa qualifying rounds and Glasgow cup semis/finals), and sprinkle in a bit of playing style.

I stand by the assertion that there is probably a 20% chance whoever comes in finds that and improves us...............but a 50% chance it goes the other direction and we drop down the league. That is maybe defeatist, but consider me completely McGheed. There have been too many eras of pish not to have these fears....................but I hope I am wrong, and did like most of what Cormack had to say, and look forward to the actions that back that up.

9 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I don't think McInnes scaled the summit - I think he possibly did in terms of the league consistency and win ratio, qualifying for Europe etc............albeit there was a drop-off the last two seasons.

The extra push would be the bottle to come out on the right end of more of our glass ceiling fixtures (latter Europa qualifying rounds and Glasgow cup semis/finals), and sprinkle in a bit of playing style.

I stand by the assertion that there is probably a 20% chance whoever comes in finds that and improves us...............but a 50% chance it goes the other direction and we drop down the league. That is maybe defeatist, but consider me completely McGheed. There have been too many eras of pish not to have these fears....................but I hope I am wrong, and did like most of what Cormack had to say, and look forward to the actions that back that up.

The next manager would have to a really bad job to drop lower than 4th. We have scored 1 goal in 10 games and still comfortable in 4th and outside shot at third.

How anyone can say be careful what you wish for when the team with the third biggest budget in league is going to finish 4th for third consecutive season. Mcinnes has failed in the previous 3 seasons that is fact. That’s not to outdo what he did in previous 5 seasons where he done a very good job. But managers are judged on recent performances look and Wildwr and Ranieri for example. 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

Winning cups would be brilliant but we need to be aiming to capitalise on the changes to euro tournaments and make the group stages.

First priority is a cup of course but the group stages can enable us to increase our revenues which can increase our budget and then enable us to climb up a level.

Not unrealistic now and Scotland will have three in groups stages next season and the season after.

I  agree that European qualification should be our main priority, as this would provide the financial foundations for everything else. It would give us a financial advantage over our competitors and would be a lure for players ambitious to play in Europe. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Europa League groups can earn from 5-10 million & the group stages in the Europa Petrofac roughly half that? So either way, we'll be taking in more revenue than previously. 

If this is invested in a stronger squad, then it would increase our chances of winning the odd cup or two. 

However, this will remain a fantasy unless the club hires a management team equal to their ambition and backs them financially. 

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

As I said, it's good for starters. One interview doesn't change 26 years of misery but if the remit of the interview was to give the fans assurances that due diligence would be followed in appointing the new manager whilst giving the fans hope for the future then it was achieved.

One action has already been taken but that was the easy part. It's the appointment that will prove more difficult. If Glass is appointed then there will be a suspicion that due diligence wasn't done and that will cause issues if we suffer poor results on the park.

However, it seems to me that the majority of fans can't see us any better than where McInnes had us. It's very depressing...

It's impossible to really get a handle on what proportion of the fans think what, especially given there's no crowds at the games and we're only left with the online back and fore between a relatively small proportion of the fanbase.

I do think some fans are still stuck in Milne-era thinking though - which is why names like Goodwin or Robinson come up constantly. Solid enough for a season or two at their clubs, but completely unproven at the levels we want to be getting to, especially as the league over the last year or two has been of an atrocious standard.

Get the feeling that Glass might be a red herring and that serious consideration will be given to some of the "outliers" as Cormack described them.

2 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

The next manager would have to a really bad job to drop lower than 4th. We have scored 1 goal in 10 games and still comfortable in 4th and outside shot at third.

How anyone can say be careful what you wish for when the team with the third biggest budget in league is going to finish 4th for third consecutive season. Mcinnes has failed in the previous 3 seasons that is fact. That’s not to outdo what he did in previous 5 seasons where he done a very good job. But managers are judged on recent performances look and Wildwr and Ranieri for example. 

Hearts and Hibs have similar budgets and are often nowhere near the Top 4.

Previous Aberdeen managers had higher budgets than most and other than Calderwood, they were normally in the bottom half.

It can quite easily go that way with the wrong appointment.

Edited by tarapoa

9 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

The club, with these appointments, we're operating under a timid character in Stewart Milne, who oversaw the most consecutive appointments of incompetent managers in our history. As well as the least successful spell in our history. 

There's a different guy in charge, who's looking to shake things up. I dunno have faith. 

"It can quite easily go that way with the wrong appointment" 

It could also quite easily go the other way. 

A good appointment would make it better, a bad one could make it worse.

Its hardly rocket science.

"Go the other way" to what?

Are you genuinely expecting Aberdeen the challenge for the title?

I think there's always a little revision of history with Mcinnes when it comes to 'prioritising' success in competitions over others. As far as I remember, Mcinnes always stated at the start of every season that he wanted to win silverware and qualify for the groups of European competitions. His failure in the cups was a combination of tactical failures on the day, luck and just coming up against better sides. It's not like in England where they rest players in the cup to chase 17th in the Premier League or anything like that.

My point being that Cormack's ambition is nice, but it's not particularly new for the club and actions speak louder than words. I'm sure many people will have watched us turn up against Celtic in the cups and questioned if we really did have an ambition to win, despite what was said beforehand.

Cormack's words mean nothing if he appoints a dud or doesn't give any new man the best possible chances to succeed either through funding or whatever else. And let's not forget a few weeks ago he mentioned administration in a statement. Yes, it said we're working to avoid administration but the very mention of it was quite striking.

15 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Hibs and Hearts both managed to get themselves relegated in recent seasons, no reason that the wrong appointment couldn't do the same to us.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hibs and Hearts both managed to get themselves relegated in recent seasons, no reason that the wrong appointment couldn't do the same to us.

Absolutely. Football is football.

A seemingly unstoppable Liverpool team a year ago are now toiling to finish above West Ham and Everton. It only takes a few adverse circumstances/decisions etc for things to drop off badly.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely. Football is football.

A seemingly unstoppable Liverpool team a year ago are now toiling to finish above West Ham and Everton. It only takes a few adverse circumstances/decisions etc for things to drop off badly.

Look at Dundee, they never seem to get their act together, historically one of Scotland's big clubs, they've completely lost their way since 1976. 

Which should we prioritise, a cup win or Europe? There has been a massive clamour this season from our fans saying that this is the season to finish third as this will guarantee entry to the Group stages of the European Conference League. I’ve always thought that this wasn’t the case and I’ve just read what awaits Scottish clubs next season. Unless Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup, third and fourth place in the league would mean three qualifying rounds to get into the Group Stages of the Conference League. The Holy Grail is to win the Scottish Cup which gives you one qualifying round only to get into the Europa League, but if you fail to get through that, you automatically go into the Group Stage of the Conference League. So not only do you win a cup but you get European games until December at least. Despite what most of our fans are saying, this isn’t the year to finish third, this is the year to win the Scottish Cup.

The club, with these appointments, we're operating under a timid character in Stewart Milne, who oversaw the most consecutive appointments of incompetent managers in our history. As well as the least successful spell in our history. 

There's a different guy in charge, who's looking to shake things up. I dunno have faith.

I admire your optimism, but always feel that every cynic is a disappointed idealist. If you take the Chelsea buns as an example, ever since they were promoted in 2016/17 they were 'going for 55*'. They had to go through Warburton, Murty, Pedro, Murty, Gerrard before they achieved any success. I think that it's good that Cormack is saying what fans aspire to but it may take a fair amount of trial and error before this is achieved. 

3 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I admire your optimism, but always feel that every cynic is a disappointed idealist. If you take the Chelsea buns as an example, ever since they were promoted in 2016/17 they were 'going for 55*'. They had to go through Warburton, Murty, Pedro, Murty, Gerrard before they achieved any success. I think that it's good that Cormack is saying what fans aspire to but it may take a fair amount of trial and error before this is achieved. 

Maybe they meant managers...