The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Scott Burns saying we’re interested in Declan Gallagher along with Hearts, Cardiff, Dundee Utd etc on a pre-contract. I thought he had played enough to trigger a new deal with Motherwell?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/declan-gallagher-aberdeen-transfer-chase-23762082

That seemed to be the line that was being taken when his agent was running around briefing the press that his client was being forced to extend "with a gun to his head" in January and that his dream move to Celtic was in jeopardy because no club would pay a fee for him. It's went quiet of late though.

Burrows and the board were asked about Gallagher's contract situation at the AGM in January and the response was a circumspect "we can't disclose details of contracts but don't believe everything you read in the papers" but that as far as the club were concerned Gallagher's deal expires in the summer.

Gallagher hasn't actually started a game for us since late-January due to an "injury" which he "picked up" just before the game that in complete coincidence would supposedly have triggered the clause.

Even Alexander alluded to it the other week post-match when he said there were "reasons" Gallagher hadn't been playing before qualifying that he'd been injured but that he was available now.

There are a couple of rumours that suggest there's been a (re)negotiation and range from the clause just having been dropped to the clause having been amended so that his contract runs to beyond the Euros so we'll pocket any appearance money that could run to 6 figures but would also allow him to move under freedom of contract - which tbh seems like a fair compromise.

Gallagher/his agent have played this pretty poorly tbh. It's been a pretty terrible look for the club captain (or "sources" close to him) to be going public with that sort of stuff and at worst refusing to play because of it. Especially as Motherwell are the sort of club who'd actively be trying to facilitate a move for him even it the extra year had been invoked.

On top of him having had a massive drop off this season without Peter Hartley playing alongside him this whole episode has removed any sort of goodwill he had from the fanbase and it's kind of come back to bite him as barring the games against Accies and St Johnstone (two teams who we've been perfectly capable of losing to with Gallagher in the team) our form has been pretty good so by and large we've not missed him - we've played 8 games without him starting won 4, drawn 1 and lost 3.

He's been available in our last two games but started on the bench in both wins which doesn't make him look quite as indispensable as he perhaps thought he was.

Edited by capt_oats

Incidentally, seeing as it's been mentioned in posts on both The Hat and Donstalk...

Alexander didn't actually say that the clause had been triggered all he said was that Gallagher was staying at the club until at least the summer - it was The Sun who said that his appearance against Hibs triggered the extension clause.

Scotland international Gallagher came on as a second half sub for his 25th appearance of the season against Hibs this afternoon.

That will trigger an extension clause in the defender’s contract, but Alexander was reluctant to discuss his situation afterwards.

He said: “He’s here until the summer, we know that. 

“I’m not going to get into details of contracts. We’ve tried to build him up this week, we didn’t think he was ready to start the game."

(Quote is from The Sun - f**k The Sun)

Alexander's comment about Gallagher being here until the summer also came around the time it was reported he'd knocked back a move to MLS - link. That story ran on 22nd February. The "He's here until summer, we know that" comment was 27th Feb.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, highland_mechanic said:

Taylor has been one of the few who hasnt been total crap since Christmas.

Massive rebuilding job for whoever the new boss is.

Whilst I agree, we will have Considine for at least another season. Neither are blessed with pace and aren't great with the ball at their feet. For what they both offer I think we should be looking to replace one.

Hoban looks like a man who needs a long rest. I doubt he'll give us another year.

When a player with Taylor's many limitations has been one of your best performers over a season, which he has been, I think that tends to say more about the rest of the squad than anything else. I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving him a new deal, but I also wouldn't want him as a regular starter under the next manager. I agree with the point above about ideally only wanting to accommodate one from him and Considine in the squad, and Considine is already signed up. 

Hoban is the only one of the out-of-contract players I would really like to keep. He hasn't been as good recently as he was immediately upon his return, but he is playing the most football he ever has in a single season and it has probably begun to catch up with him. It is a minor miracle that he has got this far without breaking down, to be honest. He will probably go back to England, unfortunately. I think some, including myself earlier in the season, probably got a bit carried away with the level he is capable of playing at, but he will probably have done enough to attract some interest from lower-end Championship and upper-end League One teams. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

When a player with Taylor's many limitations has been one of your best performers over a season, which he has been, I think that tends to say more about the rest of the squad than anything else. I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving him a new deal, but I also wouldn't want him as a regular starter under the next manager. I agree with the point above about ideally only wanting to accommodate one from him and Considine in the squad, and Considine is already signed up. 

Hoban is the only one of the out-of-contract players I would really like to keep. He hasn't been as good recently as he was immediately upon his return, but he is playing the most football he ever has in a single season and it has probably begun to catch up with him. It is a minor miracle that he has got this far without breaking down, to be honest. He will probably go back to England, unfortunately. I think some, including myself earlier in the season, probably got a bit carried away with the level he is capable of playing at, but he will probably have done enough to attract some interest from lower-end Championship and upper-end League One teams. 

I agree with @Dons_1988 that Hoban is away. I think his loyalty was with McInnes for giving him another chance and not the club. There's nothing wrong with that.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We can definitely do worse than Taylor but we know he's on a decent wage. I'm happy to look elsewhere to fill it but maybe not an urgency as we have Devlin to replace too.

Is he? I always heard he was on a pretty low wage when he came back. 

Well getting rid of McInnes really made a difference.

And even after another defeat still five points clear of fifth with five games to play. Coming off the worst run for a long time. Testament to what a stunning job he continued to do there.

Hope you didn't get too used to all this success.