The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's fairly obvious grandstanding just like last year. It won't get approved and then he'll throw his hands up and say "oh well, I tried".

So what non grandstanding amount should he have asked for in your opinion. 2,500? 3,000? 3,001?

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's fairly obvious grandstanding just like last year. It won't get approved and then he'll throw his hands up and say "oh well, I tried".

Grandstanding was making statements and going on radio slating the government. 

We’ve literally just applied for an increased capacity. Even if it fails who is he hurting here? 

Given the 10k crowds for both Scotland games at Hampden resulted in 75 cases of Covid (0.4% of attendees), 20% capacity is extremely safe as proven. 4,000 would be a fair compromise between the 2,000 that would be allowed and the 8,200 asked for.

I hope ACC do grant extra fans access to the games and while I'd love to see the full 8,200 asked for, a middle ground compromise that is proven safe would be a wise first step in my view.

Having been to both Scotland games at Hampden, I felt extremely safe at both and while it may have felt overkill in some respects (no food kiosks and some fans being asked to be there 3 hours before kick off), it clearly worked in keeping cases of Covid low.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Grandstanding was making statements and going on radio slating the government. 

We’ve literally just applied for an increased capacity. Even if it fails who is he hurting here? 

Just poor wee CraigKillie. Hes a sensitive soul it seems. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

One of these damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenarios here. If Aberdeen had simply gone with the allowed 2000 then they criticised for letting the fans down by not pushing the authorities. So they go for number of season tickets sold and get criticised for grandstanding. You couldnae make it up.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Given the 10k crowds for both Scotland games at Hampden resulted in 75 cases of Covid (0.4% of attendees), 20% capacity is extremely safe as proven. 4,000 would be a fair compromise between the 2,000 that would be allowed and the 8,200 asked for.

I hope ACC do grant extra fans access to the games and while I'd love to see the full 8,200 asked for, a middle ground compromise that is proven safe would be a wise first step in my view.

Having been to both Scotland games at Hampden, I felt extremely safe at both and while it may have felt overkill in some respects (no food kiosks and some fans being asked to be there 3 hours before kick off), it clearly worked in keeping cases of Covid low.

This is Aberdeen city council we're talking about.  The most incompetent, useless, inward looking, unadventurous,  conservative, nimby, wee man mentality council in the UK (outside the Shire, obviously).

I don't think anyone really believes that they'll throw caution to the wind and allow over 8K in Pittodrie. 

12 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I agree re the matches at Hampden to an extent, the staggering of entry times was a good idea in theory but allowing all fans to leave the stadium at the same time made a mockery of it.

18 minutes ago, starryfish said:

I agree re the matches at Hampden to an extent, the staggering of entry times was a good idea in theory but allowing all fans to leave the stadium at the same time made a mockery of it.

If they asked me to turn up THREE hours before KO, I’d not bother.

That’s five hours sat in a seat before you talk about getting to Pittodrie & back. 

23 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

I wonder whether a Ferguson departure is awaited before making any more moves? If we expect to sell him for a few million in a months time, then we could likely get better players in after that. If so would be better to hold off on signings rather than getting cheaper squad players in now? Of course we might well be out of europe by then...

Two things maybe?

As you say, the potential sale of Lewis & also the imminent appointment of a Head of Recruitment?

A £3m fee (albeit not up front) would potentially up the ante for a couple of good signings, compared to what we might end up with?

Also, the new HoR might have a new list of ideas we could target (you’d hope so seeing as that’s his job). 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Two things maybe?

As you say, the potential sale of Lewis & also the imminent appointment of a Head of Recruitment?

A £3m fee (albeit not up front) would potentially up the ante for a couple of good signings, compared to what we might end up with?

Also, the new HoR might have a new list of ideas we could target (you’d hope so seeing as that’s his job). 

https://upthemightypool.co.uk/2020/08/10/insight-analysis-head-of-recruitment-tommy-johnson/

An insight in to how we works here.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Responsible for the signing of Shane Duffy........

Yes… but to be fair, plucked him from obscurity.

I prefer to look at the fact he was responsible for Blackburn signing him for £200k then selling him on for £4.5m

Thst should be our template for a lot of our recruitment. 

Signing youngish players, for small fees, getting 80-100 games out of them, & selling them on for 10 times what we paid. 
Like we’ll do with Lewis Ferguson - perfect example. 

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This is Aberdeen city council we're talking about.  The most incompetent, useless, inward looking, unadventurous,  conservative, nimby, wee man mentality council in the UK (outside the Shire, obviously).

I don't think anyone really believes that they'll throw caution to the wind and allow over 8K in Pittodrie. 

Let's not knock our councillors for being timid.  It's a minor saving grace.  Stupid and timid is better than stupid and brave.

On 10/07/2021 at 05:38, Thenorthernlight said:

Yes… but to be fair, plucked him from obscurity.

I prefer to look at the fact he was responsible for Blackburn signing him for £200k then selling him on for £4.5m

Thst should be our template for a lot of our recruitment. 

Signing youngish players, for small fees, getting 80-100 games out of them, & selling them on for 10 times what we paid. 
Like we’ll do with Lewis Ferguson - perfect example. 

I agree with what you're saying.

On paper at least, he appears more experienced than our previous head scout Russ Richardson. There is still plenty of time for a few new additions in this current window. Perhaps we are waiting to see what players Tommy Johnson can suggest upon his arrival. As stated elsewhere, a 3rd striker, left winger and left sided centre back are blatantly needed.

On a side note, I'm not convinced Ferguson will leave this window. Unlike other sides in our league, we are in a fortunate position in that we aren't required to sell any of our valuable assets. Personally, I'll be surprised if we do receive a bid matching our evaluation for Ferguson this window.