The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Since the 4 v Celtic was during a TV strike, then let’s go for this hat-trick at the beautiful old Tynecastle.

A couple of good striker’s goals and then the third on 04:25 - even the yams found themselves applauding.

Frank was also excellent during his one season with my team Clydebank at the start of his career. During that 1978-79 season he formed a formidable partnership with Blair Millar with the pair scoring over 60 goals between them as we missed out on promotion to the Premier Division on goal difference. He moved to St Mirren for a then record Scottish fee of £150,000 and would give excellent service to both Saints and then The Dons before his premature retirement from the game due to injury problems. A few Bankies fans caught up with him a few years back when he owned a pub in Aberdeen and he was an absolute gent and spoke fondly of his time at Kilbowie.  He also scored a hat trick for The Bankies in a January 1979 friendly v a full strength Rangers FC at Kilbowie in a 4-0 win for The Bankies- team lines from that game here:

https://www.clydebankfc.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=4351

This is also a link to a Biography of Frank from our excellent Bankies Archive site developed and maintained by Stuart McBay if anyone is interested:

https://www.clydebankfc.co.uk/player.php?id=144

image.jpeg.0261a5e27ba71cb281a7c9e28b6692c4.jpeg

A great player for Bankies and a great player for Saints and The Dons - may he rest in peace 

Edited by Kilbowies Finest

I saw MacDougall score the four against Timothy with the fluorescent ball and also remember him for the winner against a very good Servette team that guided us into the European Cup Quarter Finals, his only European goal for the Dons.

Fitting that we put Der H*n to the sword on Frank's last full day on earth, a feat that he himself did on many occasions.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Since the 4 v Celtic was during a TV strike, then let’s go for this hat-trick at the beautiful old Tynecastle.

A couple of good striker’s goals and then the third on 04:25 - even the yams found themselves applauding.

Another one of my all time favourite goals. Absolutely gorgeous.

I was just a star struck teenager when I met Frank on the concourse of Central Station. I can't remember who we had been playing that day but it must have been an away game.

He had had a few shandies but wasn't drunk and was tucking into a fish supper while waiting for his train.

I introduced myself, told him I was a Saints fan and he chatted away, even offered me some chips.

A brilliant goalscorer for every team he played for and a really nice guy.

RIP.

5 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Oh dear, Frankie McDougall has died.

What a finisher he was, perhaps even better than Joey Harper.

Sad news, career ended by injury. Great goalscorer, that's 2 scoring legends dead this week.

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Totally unmarked for the first two.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Had quite a few drinks in Frank McDougall's Sports Bar opposite the station in Aberdeen. Always entertaining. 

So sad to hear this, I'm just about old enough to remember him in his pomp, one of a few players from that mid 80's era like Mark McGhee, Joe Miller and Kevin Gallagher who were Celtic fans growing up but seemed to always score against us, did Frank not have to retire in his late 20's with back problems similar Eric Black?

The one bizarre memory I have of Frank is a game I didn't even see, he scored all four goals against Celtic in a 4-1 humping at Pittodrie, a week after a 3-0 skelping at Ibrox in November 1985, there was a TV blackout that season with zero football highlights anywhere in the UK from roughly September to March and I seem to recall McDougall scores a rake of goals that season but mostly never seen, think he had a similar prolific record against Rangers too? Alex Ferguson spoke very highly of him as one of the best strikers he had at Pittodrie which is some accolade from that era.

So sad to hear this, RIP.

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Wow, never seen this before, that third goal is absolutely sensational  

What I remember best about Frank was how simple he made it, almost casual. He would just get himself where he should be and stick the ball away when it invariably arrived bearing in mind the quality of his teammates. Nae bother. Blessed with two good feet and a decent sprint. Imagine a scorer like that having a full career in Scotland never mind with Clydebank, St Mirren and the Dons. RIP to a legend.