The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

All that competition for places has definitely hurt our push for the top 4.

No need to get defensive.

What part of Van Veen's zero goals in 10 games have put other strikers under pressure?

Listening to the ABZ podcast.  I was totally wrong about Warnock being up for a scrap.  However, I I like the sound of this Jimmy lad.  I enjoy an element of possession-based football, but it has to be with skillful players and not just for the sake of it.  High-pressing football can give everyone a lift.  I am sure some scribes up there already have their copy ready with phrases like Thelin is "burning the players out" and such nonsense.  With the right conditioning, I can't see maintaining intensity throughout the season being an issue.

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

No need to get defensive.

What part of Van Veen's zero goals in 10 games have put other strikers under pressure?

Just his very presence is enough to inspire the Ayrshire lads to greatness.

If you remember correctly he failed to come off the bench in one particular game and look what happened - we lost. 

The man is a maverick and his 10 minute cameos and less than 100 touches have been a joy to watch.

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Just his very presence is enough to inspire the Ayrshire lads to greatness.

If you remember correctly he failed to come off the bench in one particular game and look what happened - we lost. 

The man is a maverick and his 10 minute cameos and less than 100 touches have been a joy to watch.

I stand corrected. Definitely NOT a waste of money.

1 hour ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

An embarrassing appeal and it's an embarrassment that Vale hasn't been given an extra game due to its frivolous nature.

The SPFL's anti-Cormack bias continues unabated.

It's incredible that this wasn't considered frivilous. 

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It's incredible that this wasn't considered frivilous. 

I disagree. I think there was a reasonable but weak argument that it was harsh and Motherwell were within their rights to appeal, even though it had a very low chance of success. 

What was incredible was our appeal last season (was it only last season?) being considered frivolous. 

If consistency was a thing, then using Shinnie's appeal as the benchmark of frivolity, most appeals would result in longer bans. But it's not consistent at all. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I disagree. I think there was a reasonable but weak argument that it was harsh and Motherwell were within their rights to appeal, even though it had a very low chance of success. 

What was incredible was our appeal last season (was it only last season?) being considered frivolous. 

If consistency was a thing, then using Shinnie's appeal as the benchmark of frivolity, most appeals would result in longer bans. But it's not consistent at all. 

It really was as obvious a red card using today's Laws Of The Game as you're likely to see. Totally pointless appeal.

36 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It really was as obvious a red card using today's Laws Of The Game as you're likely to see. Totally pointless appeal.

I agree with @coprolite tbh. I’d go a step further and say the frivolous appeal rule is totally needless. 

The risk of manipulating what fixtures you’re suspended for is pretty much gone so the deterrent is irrelevant. Clubs should have a right of appeal and the criteria for what counts as ‘frivolous’ is so flimsy that the lack of consistency would always be there. 

We all knew after the shinnie one that we’d see plenty of appeals get rejected and not done for frivolous like we did, but the answer for me is to remove it, not charge more clubs with it. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with @coprolite tbh. I’d go a step further and say the frivolous appeal rule is totally needless. 

The risk of manipulating what fixtures you’re suspended for is pretty much gone so the deterrent is irrelevant. Clubs should have a right of appeal and the criteria for what counts as ‘frivolous’ is so flimsy that the lack of consistency would always be there. 

We all knew after the shinnie one that we’d see plenty of appeals get rejected and not done for frivolous like we did, but the answer for me is to remove it, not charge more clubs with it. 

I certainly agree that frivolous appeals should no longer be a thing as no-one can benefit from a stupid appeal apart from the SFA coffers. But, as long as it exists, the benchmark for me will Graeme Shinnie's one.

If it's a case like this where the on-field referee gives a straight red and it's reviewed by the VAR team who confirm the original decision is it even possible for there to be grounds for an appeal?

3 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

If it's a case like this where the on-field referee gives a straight red and it's reviewed by the VAR team who confirm the original decision is it even possible for there to be grounds for an appeal?

The grounds would be that they all got it wrong.  

42 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Heading down to Hampden to catch the Youth Cup final against Rangers, fingers crossed for a win! Think it's on BBC Scotland channel.

Good effort!