The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You can just about get away with Dean's role in a 3 man midfield but not two.

It's almost unfair on him playing him in a two as he doesn't have it in his locker to contribute enough (yet?), let alone against the best team in the country.

Yeah. I think that is fair.

Roy Keane was asked about the best centre midfielders in the world a few months back. He said himself there's only a few he thinks can play a traditional centre midfield position to a high level. The rest fill certain roles.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

You can just about get away with Dean's role in a 3 man midfield but not two.

I think that's right. To be honest, you could say the same for Ojo, too. We could just about get away with either of them as a #6 in a three-man midfield in a game where we are having most of the ball, but the current system, especially against a good team, is a completely different matter. 

My more general concern about Campbell is that he is, again much like Ojo, something of a 6/10 at most things. I've called Ojo a nothing player; I wouldn't say the same for Campbell yet because he is much younger and still developing his identity as a player, which is why I would probably rather have him in the team than Ojo if one has to play, but it is certainly something for development. 

I think there's been signs of Campbell getting himself more involved and taking more responsibility. Maybe not as much as we'd necessarily like to see but he has come on since the start of the season despite missing much of it. 

The high press yesterday left the midfield two covering a lot of space and outnumbered against some quality players who were on form. Seems harsh to judge him on not dominating in those circumstances. 

11 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Rangers supporting pal said a few days back there’d been talk of this on their forums and I thought it seemed very unlikely so it’s pretty surprising. Can’t imagine he’d get much of a game for them so guess he’d just fill the squad in the way the likes of Stewart, Middleton, Hastie do.

Edited by Rodhull

A valiant effort to push himself into the Jack realm from Scott here. He could easily have been offloaded by us when he had that serious injury on the back of fairly poor performances anytime he was given a shot (bar the occasional glimpse of the potential like at Partick). 

Just now, Rodhull said:

Would there be much point now? Played Rangers 3 times and with the way things are going there's no guarantee the season would even make it past the split.

I'm guessing he means give them Wright to make a dent in the £350k we are paying them this year.

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Am I missing something about Scott Wright...?

Like him actually being that good? Decent footballer there's no doubt about that but would say Aberdeen is his level at best? 😕

He wasn't good enough for us up until about September.

He has stepped up a lot to be fair but it was for 7-8 weeks before breaking down with yet another injury. It's a pretty shite move from him if this is true.

1 minute ago, d31 said:

I'm guessing he means give them Wright to make a dent in the £350k we are paying them this year.

I suppose but don't think it'd make much of a dent. Doubt Rangers would offer more than we'd get in compensation anyway.

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

I suppose but don't think it'd make much of a dent. Doubt Rangers would offer more than we'd get in compensation anyway.

They compensation could be a decent amount. The going rate for Campbell at Motherwell seems to be £500k.

15 minutes ago, d31 said:

They compensation could be a decent amount. The going rate for Campbell at Motherwell seems to be £500k.

A better example is Hastie, who they actually signed. They paid us the £350k development fee plus a sell on.

Effectively swapping Wright for McCrorie seems quite a good deal tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, d31 said:

Well hopefully. Sounds better than it being a swap for Greg Stewart that some rangers fans are suggesting at least.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A better example is Hastie, who they actually signed. They paid us the £350k development fee plus a sell on.

Effectively swapping Wright for McRorie seems quite a good deal tbh.

Not if we're not reinvesting it in a creative player this window though.