The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, red23 said:

Love the difference in reading posts on here compared to "afc chat"  which is full of bitter people.

The attention seeking comments on there in regards to Cosgrove like "awful striker, always has been" etc just show the dour mentality on that site.

Why talk down/devalue a player of ours just to look like a plastic hard man online. Totally dismissing the contribution he made with 20+ goals the past 2 seasons.

Same bunch of people who said McKenna was useless - Nottingham forum suggests otherwise with them saying he's easily a premiership class player.

Saw some stat during the week that McKenna is statistically the best CB in the championship at defensive duels, as well as being fourth or fifth best aerially in the league - I shall try find the actual stat. Forest fans seem pretty terrified at how much worse they'd have been without him. Funnily enough, it seems fans of the cheeks claiming he was shite despite all evidence to the contrary turned out to be completely wrong - who'd have thought that?

Cosgrove has 47 goals in 103 appearances for us, and that includes his first 10 or so games. When you consider Adam Rooney scored 87 in 197, that's pretty good going. Him being pretty off it this season doesn't change the fact he's been a very important player for us over the past couple of years. Think it is the right time to cash in though, IF we can get in a semi-decent replacement on loan.

ETA: Found the aforementioned stat- sixth best aerially and the best on the ground defensively by some distance. I'm not shocked he's substantially better statistically than Vyner, but there's a few other players of Scottish interest in there as well.

Edited by AngusTheBull

37 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Saw some stat during the week that McKenna is statistically the best CB in the championship at defensive duels, as well as being fourth or fifth best aerially in the league - I shall try find the actual stat. Forest fans seem pretty terrified at how much worse they'd have been without him. Funnily enough, it seems fans of the cheeks claiming he was shite despite all evidence to the contrary turned out to be completely wrong - who'd have thought that?

Cosgrove has 47 goals in 103 appearances for us, and that includes his first 10 or so games. When you consider Adam Rooney scored 87 in 197, that's pretty good going. Him being pretty off it this season doesn't change the fact he's been a very important player for us over the past couple of years. Think it is the right time to cash in though, IF we can get in a semi-decent replacement on loan.

ETA: Found the aforementioned stat- sixth best aerially and the best on the ground defensively by some distance. I'm not shocked he's substantially better statistically than Vyner, but there's a few other players of Scottish interest in there as well.

That's good to see. Wish he was still our player, but if he keeps that form up he should net us a healthy sell on!

28 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Or alternatively, expect some form of attractive football worth their time and money on a Saturday afternoon. 

Cosgrove hardly helpful to such a desire. 

so based on players entirely made up of free transfers and 50k signings - who do you suggest to get us to play like brazil 1970?

sometimes you need to adjust your expectation. It's like buying a Corsa and shouting "f**k SAKEEEE!!" when you get beat off the lights by a Ferarri.

Aberdeen fans seldom take to big lumbering type forwards.

Gordon Strachan always commented that he was loved as a player by his own fans, but (as well as being very good) he had the advantage of being a wee ginger guy that runs around a lot.

Over the years we've now had Cosgrove, Main, Stockley, Zola, Fallon, Lee Miller, Blaha etc....................not a lot of love there, but one or two of them were better than they were given credit for, and I know McInnes feels this type of player makes the 'ball players' behind them play much better by occupying the centre halves.  It just feels maybe this idea has expired and he needs to try something different.

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Boy here saying a striker is incoming. Doesn't normally portray himself as an itk type so it's a little unusual for him but take it for it what it's worth?

Screenshot_20210129-160126.jpg

Ugh. Could have done without seeing that Grant Heath guy. 

Someone in dire need of a ride.

5 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Anecdotaly at least there seems to me to be big crossover between people who think Cosgrove is great but demand eye pleasing football.

Thats a combo that's never happening.

I understand the point you're making but playing Cosgrove and lumping balls long down the channels don't need to go hand in hand.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I understand the point you're making but playing Cosgrove and lumping balls long down the channels don't need to go hand in hand.

Tis true. 

Cosgrove actually has a really good touch for a big striker, and I'm absolutely convinced that we just haven't utilised him properly. 

This firing 40 yard passes to his chest when he's facing Joe Lewis just over the halfway line, can get straight to f**k. And yet we persist with it.

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Tis true. 

Cosgrove actually has a really good touch for a big striker, and I'm absolutely convinced that we just haven't utilised him properly. 

This firing 40 yard passes to his chest when he's facing Joe Lewis just over the halfway line, can get straight to f**k. And yet we persist with it.

Tend to agree although his touch let him down badly the other night. That would have given him a great chance from about 16 yards out.

1 hour ago, red23 said:

so based on players entirely made up of free transfers and 50k signings - who do you suggest to get us to play like brazil 1970?

sometimes you need to adjust your expectation. It's like buying a Corsa and shouting "f**k SAKEEEE!!" when you get beat off the lights by a Ferarri.

Yes but in the SPFL Premiership it's like getting beat off the lights from a reliant robin with the front wheel missing.

We must be up there with the worst support bases in the country for talking down our better players on social media. Cosgrove most certainly has his limitations and hasn't been in good form this season, but Birmingham fans must be worried that they are signing the English Ali Dia with some of the rubbish going about on Twitter. 

Edited by DrewDon

8 hours ago, TheGreatBorderCity said:

Despite what McInnes has said previously, Carlisle United are due a % of any Cosgrove transfer fee.

It’s thought to be in the region of 20/25%.

TGBC

Not true.

Cosgrove had 6 months left on his contract and Carlisle were happy for him to leave in January as they didn't see a future for him at your club. We'd already agreed a pre-season contract with Cosgrove. Carlisle wanted 30k (development fees) for his immediate transfer in January. And as Dave Cormack told me 18 months ago, Carlisle are due NO % of any future fee we may receive for Cosgrove.

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Not true.

Cosgrove had 6 months left on his contract and Carlisle were happy for him to leave in January as they didn't see a future for him at your club. We'd already agreed a pre-season contract with Cosgrove. Carlisle wanted 30k (development fees) for his immediate transfer in January. And as Dave Cormack told me 18 months ago, Carlisle are due NO % of any future fee we may receive for Cosgrove.

Are they not due solidarity payments? 

Usually i'd check the rules but i'll be clocking off work soon and i'm not going to be that wasteful of my own time. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Tis true. 

Aye, I think Cosgrove gets some unfair criticism in that regard. He reminds me of Fellaini in the sense that he has the ability to take useless lump forward and absolutely kill it with his chest/thigh and outmuscle a couple of defenders to hold up play.

As you say, I think he could’ve been utilised a lot better.

Edited by AJF