The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

Saturday's game was an excellent example of why Campbell should be retained in the holding role. Everything flowed through him, as an out-ball from defence, which allowed him to display composure and a good range of passing. 

If the three of them are playing in the same team, McCrorie should be used in defence and Ferguson further forward, as he carries a goal threat. I agree that they don't work as a midfield three though. 

Tbh, I thought Ross was much more creative than Campbell. 

Campbell's task seems to be to replicate Ryan Jack. Or if you feel like being cruel, Ojo. 

Like the early version of Jack though, Campbell is running the risk of being labelled negative and cautious.....a safety first player. I'm pleased to see that in the last few games he's obviously being encouraged to drive further forward, and to take more risks. 

If he's going to get more game time, he's going to have to develop his game quickly. The out-balls from defence are fine if they lead to us creating chances further up the park, but it's a huge NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to out-balls that are safety first 10 yard passes to a player with his back to the opposition goal near the halfway line, and 20 seconds later the ball's back with Hoban or Considine, and we have to begin all over again. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Tbh, I thought Ross was much more creative than Campbell. 

Campbell's task seems to be to replicate Ryan Jack. Or if you feel like being cruel, Ojo. 

Like the early version of Jack though, Campbell is running the risk of being labelled negative and cautious.....a safety first player. I'm pleased to see that in the last few games he's obviously being encouraged to drive further forward, and to take more risks. 

If he's going to get more game time, he's going to have to develop his game quickly. The out-balls from defence are fine if they lead to us creating chances further up the park, but it's a huge NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to out-balls that are safety first 10 yard passes to a player with his back to the opposition goal near the halfway line, and 20 seconds later the ball's back with Hoban or Considine, and we have to begin all over again. 

I would argue that Campbell is dependent on the the running and movement in front of him once he receives the ball from defence, which is pretty poor at present. 

For what it's worth, I'd much rather be compared to Ojo than Jack. Ojo may be shite, but he has integrity by the bucket load in comparison. 

I couldn't find the appropriate gif, but I heard your NOOOOOOOOO! as that of the bodyguard trainer in the Simpsons. 

Edited by Golden Gordon

I realise that this will almost certainly not happen, but not much would give me more satisfaction than Hibs getting third place, but we win the Scottish Cup to take the European Group stages away from them. 

4 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

I think he could be a decent right back. Loads of energy to get up and down, has played other positions which can only be to his benefit, he's a tall guy as well so could be a threat arriving at the back post for crosses from the other side. He might even be handy as the right side of a back 3, with his pace and knowledge of the other positions. 

There's a player there for sure it's just figuring out where. I don't think it should be midfield going forward. 

He plays right side of defence for the Scotland u21s and gets a chance to run down the outside at times.

16 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

For what it's worth, I'd much rather be compared to Ojo than Jack. Ojo may be shite, but he has integrity by the bucket load in comparison. 

jack nicholson smile GIF

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I realise that this will almost certainly not happen, but not much would give me more satisfaction than Hibs getting third place, but we win the Scottish Cup to take the European Group stages away from them. 

I suppose its possible, but you might have to start finding the net a bit more frequently, regardless of who you are playing next (and Livi wont be easy).

For context, Hibs scored the same number of goals last night as Aberdeen have this year so far............................

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I suppose its possible, but you might have to start finding the net a bit more frequently, regardless of who you are playing next (and Livi wont be easy).

For context, Hibs scored the same number of goals last night as Aberdeen have this year so far............................

We are relying on new manager bounce to get something/anything. In reality the sooner this season is over the better.

4th place and a Semi Final would, for the record books only, smooth over the cracks of one of our worst seasons in the last 20 years.

43 minutes ago, d31 said:

We are relying on new manager bounce to get something/anything. In reality the sooner this season is over the better.

4th place and a Semi Final would, for the record books only, smooth over the cracks of one of our worst seasons in the last 20 years.

What a mentality to think a semi final is acceptable especially if we don’t meet any of the OF sides. Absolute embarrassing a team that has the third biggest budget in league finishing 4th and a semi final is pass marks. 

43 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

What a mentality to think a semi final is acceptable especially if we don’t meet any of the OF sides. Absolute embarrassing a team that has the third biggest budget in league finishing 4th and a semi final is pass marks. 

Brendan, eh that's why we sacked our manager? that we are releasing 13 players?

It's not pass marks. And we would need to win 4/8 matches this season to achieve that.

We are never gonna win 4 of the next 8 in a million years. I'd offer you a £100 charity Aberdeen For All bet.

For the last 4 wins weve taken 16 matches.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Correct, hence why I said that it almost certainly won’t happen. 

2 hours ago, d31 said:

Brendan, eh that's why we sacked our manager? that we are releasing 13 players?

It's not pass marks. And we would need to win 4/8 matches this season to achieve that.

We are never gonna win 4 of the next 8 in a million years. I'd offer you a £100 charity Aberdeen For All bet.

For the last 4 wins weve taken 16 matches.

A couple of points for you. Would 5th place and a Scottish Cup win still be one of our poorest seasons in the last 20 years?

I'm not so sure that we will be releasing 13 players. We may do, but it’s certainly not set in stone.  

21 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

I think he could be a decent right back. Loads of energy to get up and down, has played other positions which can only be to his benefit, he's a tall guy as well so could be a threat arriving at the back post for crosses from the other side. He might even be handy as the right side of a back 3, with his pace and knowledge of the other positions. 

There's a player there for sure it's just figuring out where. I don't think it should be midfield going forward. 

Both Rangers and Portsmouth tried McCrorie at RB. It didn’t quite work out either. I think he originally came through the youth ranks in that position.

He’s such an odd player. Blessed with great physical gifts too, which is probably why he’s thought of as versatile.

3 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Technically I think he's poor, as you say, it's his physical gifts that allow him to be impactful. With Scott Brown joining next season and Campbell and Ferguson looking to play, I think a shift back to the right side of defence could do him some good. I think he'd be OK at centre half, even if he's not winning every header or every physical battle, because he has great pace to rectify that, and with his time as a midfielder, should theoretically have the composure to play (to some extent) from the back. 

@Dons_1988 as you say his best work has come from midfield, but he's almost exclusively played there, I think a run of games at right back or even centre half could see an improvement on his game, and seeing him become more influential. 

I'm ok with him on the right side of a three as he will offer a bit more on the ball than a Taylor or Considine, but I'd not be comfortable in a centre half pairing. I don't think he's a great defender.

I think we're just asking too much of him in midfield currently. He was best when our attacking unit consisted mainly of Watkins/Hedges/Wright, with wing backs in support and McCrorie acted almost as a support function to that but mainly he'd break play up in the middle and facilitate things for the guys ahead of him.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

A couple of points for you. Would 5th place and a Scottish Cup win still be one of our poorest seasons in the last 20 years?

I'm not so sure that we will be releasing 13 players. We may do, but it’s certainly not set in stone.  

A scottish cup win is of course a bit of a long shot. I'm currently assuming we'll mess up against either Livvie or Dundee Utd. If we win the cup it would be a bigger achievement than anything achieved by Rangers, Hearts or St Johnstone this season. It won't be happening.

Of course it's not set in stone to release all those players, i think it's maybe 12 already because of Virtanen's extension actually, but we are entering April/May with that many players OOC tells its own story.

Glass preferred 4-2-3-1 when managing Atlanta and Atlanta 2 so assuming he's doing that, and assuming Brown is a first pick for at least August-December then there is not much space to fit in all the midfielders.