The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you can point out where me and A N other said 'underwhelmed'' literally on this very page then...

the bit of your post I quoted is still drivel.

Mixed feelings is a partly negative response. It hardly means you are overjoyed at the prospect. So underwhelmed is a fairly accurate depiction imho. You disagree fine. 

I also believe the fans of most other teams (myself included) feel Aberdeen fans have an inflated opinion on how successful your team should be. Especially after McInnes leaves despite qualifying for Europe pretty much every year he was Manager. You will probably disagree again. Fine....

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Mixed feelings is a partly negative response. It hardly means you are overjoyed at the prospect. So underwhelmed is a fairly accurate depiction imho. You disagree fine. 

I also believe the fans of most other teams (myself included) feel Aberdeen fans have an inflated opinion on how successful your team should be. Especially after McInnes leaves despite qualifying for Europe pretty much every year he was Manager. You will probably disagree again. Fine....

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

59 minutes ago, welldaft said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. 

I'd say qualifying for Europe every year is us hitting par. We've comfortably the third biggest playing budget. Qualifying for Europe doesn't even require us to finish third. It's now four years since we finished where our budget suggests we should. That's not a massive underachievement, but it's an underachievement. 

Personally i think Gallagher would (if he does sign, this is still just paper talk) be a decent signing. He'd be an incremental upgrade on considine, a bit younger and a bit better on the ball. Unsure if he's got hat trick hero abilities though. 

We've been told that we're getting a whole new style and philosophy and that Glass will be backed. Signing Gallagher doesn't support that narrative. That aspect is a bit disappointing. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

If Derek McInnes was being solely judged on qualifying for the Europa League qualifying competition then he would've been kept on. He wasn't though and a decision was made that his time was up which I think most Aberdeen supporters agreed with. What other club's supporters think about it is immaterial because you aren't watching us every week...

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. 

I'd say qualifying for Europe every year is us hitting par. We've comfortably the third biggest playing budget. Qualifying for Europe doesn't even require us to finish third. It's now four years since we finished where our budget suggests we should. That's not a massive underachievement, but it's an underachievement. 

Personally i think Gallagher would (if he does sign, this is still just paper talk) be a decent signing. He'd be an incremental upgrade on considine, a bit younger and a bit better on the ball. Unsure if he's got hat trick hero abilities though. 

We've been told that we're getting a whole new style and philosophy and that Glass will be backed. Signing Gallagher doesn't support that narrative. That aspect is a bit disappointing. 

Not sure about the narrative re Glass as I have not been watching that closely. 

Other than that a decent, understandable and measured response 👍

I don't watch Motherwell that closely except if they are playing against us, but I have read some of their fans on here saying that Gallagher hasn't been particularly good this season. When I saw him last season, however, I thought he was generally excellent - probably the best centre-back outside of the Old Firm. That's why I have mixed feelings about him. Ideally he would be a few years younger too, but that might have made him more likely to go down to England knowing he could probably still get a decent move up here if it didn't work out. 

I suppose it depends on which version of him we are going to see. 

48 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not sure why you think that “signing Gallagher doesn’t support that narrative.” Do you want us to go with 10 attacking players and Joe Lewis?

Just now, kingjoey said:

Not sure why you think that “signing Gallagher doesn’t support that narrative.” Do you want us to go with 10 attacking players and Joe Lewis?

Probably because he's more in the 'no nonsense' defender category rather than one that suits the increased playing out from the back we've seen glimpses of in recent games.

FWIW I have no issue with Gallagher signing from a football perspective, he is obviously good enough for us. I just not sure he's that good that we should be breaking the bank for him.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not saying it disproves the narrative but it's not as obviously a change of gear as say, signing a 25 year old South American centre back we've never heard of with a youtube montage of bicycle kicks. 

35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably because he's more in the 'no nonsense' defender category rather than one that suits the increased playing out from the back we've seen glimpses of in recent games.

FWIW I have no issue with Gallagher signing from a football perspective, he is obviously good enough for us. I just not sure he's that good that we should be breaking the bank for him.

From what I have seen at him at Motherwell he was always the player trusted to take the ball out from the back. Didn't think he was terrible at it.

Whilst he’s not exactly Beckenbauer, he’s actually a much better footballer than he gets credit for(as above video shows). 

He really was outstanding last season, rarely put a foot wrong. This season has seen a big drop off in terms of form and consistency but he’s far from the only Motherwell player that could be levelled at. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I don't watch Motherwell that closely except if they are playing against us, but I have read some of their fans on here saying that Gallagher hasn't been particularly good this season. When I saw him last season, however, I thought he was generally excellent - probably the best centre-back outside of the Old Firm. That's why I have mixed feelings about him. Ideally he would be a few years younger too, but that might have made him more likely to go down to England knowing he could probably still get a decent move up here if it didn't work out. 

I suppose it depends on which version of him we are going to see. 

I think that's the key part. @Casagolda made a good point in our thread yesterday:

On 04/05/2021 at 10:18, Casagolda said:

The guys career has basically been on an uninterrupted, upward trajectory since he left the jail. From playing in League 1 to helping Scotland to the Euro’s in 3 years has been some going. 

However in some respects, his careers probably peaked. He’s now the wrong side of 30has missed the boat for his ‘big’ move down South(or Celtic) and lost his place in the Scotland team now as well. 

If he’s getting a wage hike and 3 year deal at his age it’s a no brainier and I don’t blame him. If he can stay fit and find anything like last seasons form, it’s a decent pick up for Aberdeen as well. 

He was outstanding for us last season but I think the fact most folk aren’t even arsed anymore about him leaving speaks volumes for the season he’s had on and off the pitch. 

It's hard to argue against that tbh.

Last season off the back of his ascent with Livi and his Scotland cap with us feels like a peak so it's a question of whether the regression we've seen from him this season is just a result of circumstance or not. If you get the 19/20 version you're getting a very good player, if it's the 20/21 version then as @Swello said earlier in the thread you're getting a jobber Premiership centre half (and possibly paying a premium for it).

I think he'll be an absolutely fine signing for Aberdeen, he's a good player but he's been miles off it this season (again, he's not the only one in the Motherwell side you can level that at). It's probably fair to say that Motherwell fans indifference towards his leaving is down to both his poor form this season and the way he's carried himself since the "gun to his head" story went to the press and him getting chippy with fans online - it's not a good look for a club captain.

Edited by capt_oats

26 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Not sure if this had already been mentioned but can't say I knew about it.

Update from Cormack and Wicks going up at 7pm.

They did say the next update would be from Wick (at the Q&A) so this must be it.

Will be season ticket stuff I'd imagine.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

They did say the next update would be from Wick (at the Q&A) so this must be it.

Will be season ticket stuff I'd imagine.

Yeah. Should have included the description.

Screenshot_20210505-152408.jpg

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Not sure about the narrative re Glass as I have not been watching that closely. 

Other than that a decent, understandable and measured response 👍

That kind of sensible post will never catch on...