The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Away off to your forum to heartily laugh at the inevitable "spend £100k getting Ali McCann and it'll be fine!" chat.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Away off to your forum to heartily laugh and the inevitable "spend £100k getting Ali McCann and it'll be fine!" chat.

Out of interest can you pull up your play style graphs to compare Ferguson, Allan Campbell, and Ali McCann? And try not to get a chubby on while doing it! ;)

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Away off to your forum to heartily laugh at the inevitable "spend £100k getting Ali McCann and it'll be fine!" chat.

I literally don't know one Aberdeen fan who has uttered the words ' let's buy Ali McCann'. 

You seem to be desperately pushing the myth that McCann is a world class player that every club wants to buy. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surprised he's decided to rock the boat after one rejected bid, days after the season has finished. I suppose he is within his rights, but I think he's been badly advised here. 

His agent will have seen the number of £'s involved and his percentage thereof and ran like Gazza in his housecoat to young Lewis with the transfer request.

What's he got left on his contract 3 years? may yet see if Cormack walks the walk .

5 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Out of interest can you pull up your play style graphs to compare Ferguson, Allan Campbell, and Ali McCann? And try not to get a chubby on while doing it! ;)

1kjig0.jpg.c9e183aec1da3f6ffdea75524f5e6898.jpg

Skipped past the "getting a chubby" stage tbh.

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'll be honest, Ferguson wasn't high on the list of Accies products who I thought would get a Premier League move. An impressive rise for him.

Aye. Went from getting a little run of games at Hamilton to starting every game at Aberdeen.

No problem at all with the statement as it lets both Lewis Ferguson and any potential buying club know where Aberdeen stand on this. From Lewis Ferguson’s viewpoint, he may be 1) p*ss*d off with Aberdeen rejecting his move to the English Premiership, 2) letting Aberdeen know he’s keen to move upwards and give us plenty of time to make our plans without him. I would imagine it’s 1) as it’s an opportunity to play in that league and get a huge salary which he may be afraid will pass him by if he doesn’t get the chance now.

35 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surprised he's decided to rock the boat after one rejected bid, days after the season has finished. I suppose he is within his rights, but I think he's been badly advised here. 

From reading the bit on the Record site with quotes from his uncle it looks like we didn't give then an asking price which is what they're trying to force.

16 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Comparisons are based on league only figures, over the past 3 seasons. Percentage in brackets is "style similarity".

fergu.thumb.png.d8fe02fc8059511bcb58fe0a0655c9ae.png

Mc.thumb.png.f8c2ab32ad098cdc702fd143487c2652.png

Just my view, but McCann looks a closer fit in terms of how he plays and how he performs, just not quite at Fergusons level yet.

Campbell, on paper, doesn't win the ball nearly as much as most people would assume, but would maybe be a better replacement considering your struggles in front of goal this season?

Depends if you want a direct replacement or something different, I guess.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Comparisons are based on league only figures, over the past 3 seasons. Percentage in brackets is "style similarity".

Just my view, but McCann looks a closer fit in terms of how he plays and how he performs, just not quite at Fergusons level yet.

Campbell, on paper, doesn't win the ball nearly as much as most people would assume, but would maybe be a better replacement considering your struggles in front of goal this season?

Depends if you want a direct replacement or something different, I guess.

Interesting, admittedly I don't see much of Campbell and McCann outside of Dons game, but I always had him pegged as a more attacking player, and Campbell as more of a ball winner. Completely the opposite it would seem.

It looks as though neither are at Ferguson's level yet though in general, despite being equal or better in the odd area.

What's the difference between creator and playmaker out of interest?

Edited by Illgresi

3 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Interesting, admittedly I don't see much of Campbell and McCann outside of Dons game, but I always had him pegged as a more attacking player, and Campbell as more of a ball winner. Completely the opposite it would seem.

It looks as though neither are at Ferguson's level yet though in general, despite being equal or better in the odd area.

I think creator is assists etc and playmaker  passing accuracy.

Just now, Illgresi said:

Yeah I'm always surprised Campbell comes out so low, but he seems to be more about pressing players rather than actually winning the ball, McCann/Ferguson pick up a lot of interceptions that Campbell doesn't. From memory McCann was a similar "goal threat" to both before this season, but his deeper role this year obviously affected that.

Creator sets up chances/shots for his team mates, while playmaker is more in terms of just shuttling the ball about.

And yeah, Ferguson is really good considering his age, and despite the hype hes had, I'm surprised its not higher. Hes got some technical flaws but for a 21yo hes incredibly well developed.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Some of the twitter comments are unreal. The lad extended his contract and gave us 3 brilliant years.

I'll be sad to see him go, but it's hard to blame him considering a Premiership side wants him. 

He might never get this chance again.

The great thing is that we'll get a decent fee for him. Good business all-round. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I'm always surprised Campbell comes out so low, but he seems to be more about pressing players rather than actually winning the ball, McCann/Ferguson pick up a lot of interceptions that Campbell doesn't. From memory McCann was a similar "goal threat" to both before this season, but his deeper role this year obviously affected that.

Creator sets up chances/shots for his team mates, while playmaker is more in terms of just shuttling the ball about.

And yeah, Ferguson is really good considering his age, and despite the hype hes had, I'm surprised its not higher. Hes got some technical flaws but for a 21yo hes incredibly well developed.

On that basis we'd need a way to see how many errors or backwards passes Campbell forces, and possibly average distance covered/90mins to get a better picture. Not sure how available that kind of info is?

Edited by Illgresi

Just now, Illgresi said:

On that basis we'd need a way to see how many errors or backwards passes Campbell forces, and possibly average distance covered/90mins to get a better picture.

Yeah I wish I had access to that tbh. FBRef have that type of stuff, plus "pressures" etc., but only for the top 5 leagues.

Scottish football is kind of a barren wasteland of data in comparison. You'd have to go to Opta or that for it, and they charge unreal amounts.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I wish I had access to that tbh. FBRef have that type of stuff, plus "pressures" etc., but only for the top 5 leagues.

Scottish football is kind of a barren wasteland of data in comparison. You'd have to go to Opta or that for it, and they charge unreal amounts.

Aye, it's getting into "real" data analysis. An interesting job for an engineer and football fan like myself, but no doubt very poorly paid (in Scotland at least)!

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Aye, it's getting into "real" data analysis. An interesting job for an engineer and football fan like myself, but no doubt very poorly paid (in Scotland at least)!

Get the impression a lot of it is a case of "if we need you we'll get in touch, but don't expect a wage in between" scenarios tbh.

I just do it as a hobby as its always interested me. Trying to see how accurate I can get these things.