The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would say of mccrorie that he can play centre half very well but he’s not a ‘natural defender’ to use a boring football cliche. 

I just think we leave ourselves a little too vulnerable with him and considine. I’d actually like to see us give a run to mccrorie and Gallagher back there. 

Personally I'd like to see the Scotland International partnership of Gallagher and Considine.

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Lack of pace and ball playing ability IMO. 

Gallagher with McCrorie would be better, I think. 

Agreed, Gallagher can compensate for McCrorie's relatively limited physicality and aerial ability (for a CB) but McCrorie still gives a good outlet on the ball.

Would still like another CB in though, if Gallagher was injured for any period of time we'd be pretty soft in there.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Yeah, we definitely need in another centre back/utility defender, together with another striker. 

This season has started well but the squad is paper thin in important areas. 

I think it's very likely players are going to come in. I don't think we're just waiting to see if any bids come in but what stage we get to in Europe. Losing this round, next round or making the groups are all a big difference budget wise and we probably can't afford to take the gamble on signing new players who would help us qualify.

I doubt we'll see any further activity until the final few days of August. A 3rd choice striker will  be a priority.

Cormack recently reiterated that Glass will only sign "quality" players and not squad fillers. I'm hopefully Mowbray has a few gems up his sleeve.

For me the best piece of business we could do at this stage of the window is retain Ferguson and get Hedges to sign a new deal. Happily sell them next summer.

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Was it not Illgresi saying that we never get an easy draw in Europe when one of the possible opponents was Viktoria Plzen, and now one of these losers that McInnes got rid of has scored a hat-trick against this elite mob.

Several recent appearances in the CL/EL group stages and beyond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Viktoria_Plzeň_in_European_football

Welsh and Irish clubs seem to be pulling strangely decent results out this season, after previously normally being Euro punchbags (other than Bohs 2000 and one or two other exceptions).

Suspect the two (very) late goals Plzen got will be enough for them though.

Very unconfident with the Considine/Mccrorie partnership.  Considine has had an Indian summer as a player but is getting ever slower and I have my doubts he should be a first choice central defender.  Willie Milller is right to say that Mccrorie may have the qualities to be a central defender but he's not there yet.  Add to that two inexperienced young full backs and we have a recipe for defensive problems.

We've done well in Europe but still conceded 5 goals in 3 ties against nothing special opposition.  Against Dundee United there were mistakes at the back that better sides would have punished.  So far we've got away with defensive frailties but we will pay a heavy price eventually unless we can get a fix.  We obviously need a more mobile partner for Gallagher. Given the way Glass wants to play he needs to be good on the ball.   Guys like that within our budget are rare beasts, and we seem to be pinning our hopes on Mccrorie being the answer.  On the basis of what we've seen so far that looks too much of a gamble.

12 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Very unconfident with the Considine/Mccrorie partnership.  Considine has had an Indian summer as a player but is getting ever slower and I have my doubts he should be a first choice central defender.  Willie Milller is right to say that Mccrorie may have the qualities to be a central defender but he's not there yet.  Add to that two inexperienced young full backs and we have a recipe for defensive problems.

We've done well in Europe but still conceded 5 goals in 3 ties against nothing special opposition.  Against Dundee United there were mistakes at the back that better sides would have punished.  So far we've got away with defensive frailties but we will pay a heavy price eventually unless we can get a fix.  We obviously need a more mobile partner for Gallagher. Given the way Glass wants to play he needs to be good on the ball.   Guys like that within our budget are rare beasts, and we seem to be pinning our hopes on Mccrorie being the answer.  On the basis of what we've seen so far that looks too much of a gamble.

So we need a more mobile partner for Gallagher, that's good on the ball. Player's like that are rare at our level/price point, but McCrorie is too much of a gamble.

There seems to be an inconsistency in your logic there.

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

So we need a more mobile partner for Gallagher, that's good on the ball. Player's like that are rare at our level/price point, but McCrorie is too much of a gamble.

There seems to be an inconsistency in your logic there.

Not at all.  "Rare" is not necessarily impossible to find. 

Failing that,  if you don't have the personnel for plan A to work, you need to devise a plan B.  My concern about the way Glass wants to play is that I doubt whether we can afford the players we need to implement it.  Mccrorie might yet be the answer.  But if he's not we may just have to settle for an effective defender who isn't so good on the ball, and adapt our style of play accordingly.  We've got off to a good start in terms of results, but we won't be able to maintain it unless we can tighten up at the back.

14 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Derek Ferguson being a classless *** p***k on that Open Goal. 

Saying there was a "gentleman's agreement" that Lewis could leave for X amount if a PL club came in for him when he signed a new deal 2 years ago. Failing to consider that agreement was with a different manager, board and chairman. 

Trying to stir up shit on your sons behalf to make sure he gets his move is pathetic, also made a few shite comments about us as well, which he never used to do. 

Never trust a ***, is the lesson, so it is, by the way, big man.

f**k off, he is looking after his sons interests just like you only care about Aberdeen's interests.

23 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Derek Ferguson being a classless *** p***k on that Open Goal. 

Saying there was a "gentleman's agreement" that Lewis could leave for X amount if a PL club came in for him when he signed a new deal 2 years ago. Failing to consider that agreement was with a different manager, board and chairman. 

Trying to stir up shit on your sons behalf to make sure he gets his move is pathetic, also made a few shite comments about us as well, which he never used to do. 

Never trust a ***, is the lesson, so it is, by the way, big man.

What were the shite comments?

Gentleman's agreements aren't worth a thing as shown elsewhere this week with Harry Kane and Spurs. Ferguson's agent should have had clauses in the contract to that end. As unfair as that may seem on Lewis Ferguson, AFC have to look after their own interests and try to maximise value.