The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Look forward to another 2 weeks of Aberdeen fans still claiming they'll get him by adding another player though.

We suffer the same with Hibs fans, who seem to think we'll happily accept no fee for our captain because we're getting a worse player in a completely different position on higher wages handed to us.

Really odd mindset.

21 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Let’s just swap Matt Kennedy for Ali McCann and Jason Kerr

St Johnstone won’t mind 

Callum Davidson will likely be our next manager so it’s probably actually in his own interests. 

Edited by Dons_1988

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We suffer the same with Hibs fans, who seem to think we'll happily accept no fee for our captain because we're getting a worse player in a completely different position on higher wages handed to us.

We once gave Dundee United about 800K plus Billy Dodds for the services of Robbie Winters.

Dodds scored so many there that he 'won' a move to Ibrox, whereas Winters was a slow burner and sacrificial enough to go between the sticks in a cup final after the buns managed to 'accidentally' injure yet another AFC keeper.

- so these things can work out !

Even on Sunday - not quite the same scenario, but if you look at the respective performances of Anderson and Emmanuel-Thomas - the player that quietly slipped away in the other direction was far more impressive.

Edited by tarapoa

We once gave Dundee United about 800K plus Billy Dodds for the services of Robbie Winters.
Dodds scored so many there that he 'won' a move to Ibrox, whereas Winters was a slow burner and sacrificial enough to go between the sticks in a cup final after the buns managed to 'accidentally' injure yet another AFC keeper.
Even on Sunday - not quite the same scenario, but if you look at the respective performances of Anderson and Emmanuel-Thomas - the player that quietly slipped away in the other direction was far more impressive.
I'll always maintain that at the time, the Dodds/Winters deal was a good one for Aberdeen. I was very young but I remember Dodds being the kind of striker that needed half a dozen chances a game to score. Winters was much younger, I think was on the fringes of the Scotland squad and we were buying a promising young player, probably hoping he'd score a shitload and we could punt him on. Ok, it didn't work out like that and we couldn't have forseen the upturn in Dodds fortunes after he left us. Hindsight a wonderful thing but at the time it was a good deal, as was the Bernard one.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Worst transfer deal in our history: Dodds was well liked by the Aberdeen support and was scoring goals for us yet we managed to give Dundee United money and sign a player that wasn't as good. Robbie Winters wasn't a terrible player but the money we paid for him he wasn't the player that we should have got.

Those was the terrible days under Alex Miller and didn't get that much better under Ebbe Skovdahl.  

Edited by betting competition

24 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:
2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I'll always maintain that at the time, the Dodds/Winters deal was a good one for Aberdeen. I was very young but I remember Dodds being the kind of striker that needed half a dozen chances a game to score. Winters was much younger, I think was on the fringes of the Scotland squad and we were buying a promising young player, probably hoping he'd score a shitload and we could punt him on. Ok, it didn't work out like that and we couldn't have forseen the upturn in Dodds fortunes after he left us. Hindsight a wonderful thing but at the time it was a good deal, as was the Bernard one.

I remember thinking it was a shit deal at the time but i do think people's view of Winters is adversely affected by it. He was a top player, not so much in goals though. A straight swap would have been a fair deal but us chucking £800k in was always ridiculous. 

I remember thinking it was a shit deal at the time but i do think people's view of Winters is adversely affected by it. He was a top player, not so much in goals though. A straight swap would have been a fair deal but us chucking £800k in was always ridiculous. 
That's the issue. People look back with rose tinted glasses. Bernard was a good deal at the time. He'd played in the new Premier League in England and should really have gone on to get 40-50 Scotland caps if he wasn't perma injured, however, I'm not sure we were to know how often he'd be injured when we signed him. I'll always stick by the fact that at the time, they weren't the terrible deals they turned out to be.

Worst transfer deal in our history: Dodds was well liked by the Aberdeen support and was scoring goals for us yet we managed to give Dundee United money and sign a player that wasn't as good. Robbie Winters wasn't a terrible player but the money we paid for him he wasn't the player that we should have got.
Those was the terrible days under Alex Miller and didn't get that much better under Ebbe Skovdahl.  
I would have loved to see Winters AND Dodds playing for Aberdeen. That could have been special

The Dodds/Winters deal followed by paying 850k for O'Neil then selling him for 350k a year later if I recall correctly are the worst I can think of. Bernard suffered from people expecting him to win games by himself because of the price tag and most importantly the  injuries like previously mentioned.

Special mention goes out for paying 1 million for Tzvetanov and Kiriakov then punting Tzanko a year later for 100,00 euro. But I just remind myself of Cosgrove going for circa 2 million and I'm in a happy place again.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

11,000 tickets sold and they've been on general sale since 9AM yesterday morning. That's pretty bloody poor. 

£30 a ticket is surely one of the reasons, Celtic are £19 for a ticket in competition a tier above ours, and St J's have offered their ST holders free tickets for the Gala game. 

A fair few people online etc saying they genuinely can't afford to go at the rates on offer. 

Not to sound pant pishy or whatever, but I think the club have dropped the ball on this one. They have to consider opposition etc when pricing, surely? 

Your casual fan isn't going to attend a match against Icelandic part timers at £30 a pop. 

No surprise. I think that 30 quid is the most expensive ticket, ever, for a Dons home game. 

As you say, against an Icelandic team. 

I have a feeling that it might be a wee bit harder than we all think on Thursday, but the fact is that we won away from home, and the casual fan is thinking why shell out 30 quid on a routine sure thing ?

I realise that the club have to try and make money back from somewhere, but I think that Dave 'man of the people' Cormack has got this one hilariously wrong. 

11,000 tickets sold and they've been on general sale since 9AM yesterday morning. That's pretty bloody poor. 

£30 a ticket is surely one of the reasons, Celtic are £19 for a ticket in competition a tier above ours, and St J's have offered their ST holders free tickets for the Gala game. 

A fair few people online etc saying they genuinely can't afford to go at the rates on offer. 

Not to sound pant pishy or whatever, but I think the club have dropped the ball on this one. They have to consider opposition etc when pricing, surely? 

Your casual fan isn't going to attend a match against Icelandic part timers at £30 a pop. 
Add in that some people couldn't book their ST seats due to AFC wanting to maximise attendance.
The pricing has been OTT so far for euro games, so I dread to imagine the multi-game ticket price should we qualify