The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

What are walk up prices for league games this season?
(Not that you can walk up and pay at the gate anymore but you know what I mean)

They've not released it yet as far as I am aware. Don't think we have a home league game for a wee while either!

I haven't paid too much notice about what Lewis Ferguson is saying by proxy through his Father but I did notice that Derek Ferguson used the adjective, ambitious, to describe his son.

Ambitious for what? If he wants a transfer down to the EPL or, if he perceives going to Sevco ambitious, then go and play a starring role in a trophy winning season for Aberdeen, or get the club to the group stages of the Conference League and impress there.

Go and attract a host of suitors and then name your price. But trying to get out after a lame last full season doesn't strike me as someone ambitious to be successful in the game, but rather someone only ambitious to increase their wealth tenfold.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I haven't paid too much notice about what Lewis Ferguson is saying by proxy through his Father but I did notice that Derek Ferguson used the adjective, ambitious, to describe his son.

Ambitious for what? If he wants a transfer down to the EPL or, if he perceives going to Sevco ambitious, then go and play a starring role in a trophy winning season for Aberdeen, or get the club to the group stages of the Conference League and impress there.

Go and attract a host of suitors and then name your price. But trying to get out after a lame last full season doesn't strike me as someone ambitious to be successful in the game, but rather someone only ambitious to increase their wealth tenfold.

Are you saying that Ferguson hasn't proven himself to be an outstanding player in the three seasons he's played for us?! 

If so, I massively disagree.  

46 minutes ago, resk said:

Are you saying that Ferguson hasn't proven himself to be an outstanding player in the three seasons he's played for us?! 

If so, I massively disagree.  

No, I'm not saying that, you're adding that in yourself. I said that his last full season was lame, and it was...if you think he was good last season, especially after December, then I massively disagree.

He's quite obviously played well for Aberdeen before this and at the start of this season, that's why he's attracting interest.

8 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

No, I'm not saying that, you're adding that in yourself. I said that his last full season was lame, and it was...if you think he was good last season, especially after December, then I massively disagree.

He's quite obviously played well for Aberdeen before this and at the start of this season, that's why he's attracting interest.

Your entire post was centred around your proposal that he should stay at Aberdeen and prove himself good enough to go and earn big bucks, or at least that was my reading of it.  I say he has already done that.

Anyway, you and I bickering about whether he's "proven himself" or not is fairly pointless- if a club wants to pay him big money they'll sign him.    

2 minutes ago, resk said:

Your entire post was centred around your proposal that he should stay at Aberdeen and prove himself good enough to go and earn big bucks, or at least that was my reading of it.  I say he has already done that.

Anyway, you and I bickering about whether he's "proven himself" or not is fairly pointless- if a club wants to pay him big money they'll sign him.    

He's played a "starring role in trophy winning season for Aberdeen" or helped the club reach the group stages in Europe has he? Because that's what I outlined as being ambitious as a successful Aberdeen player 

But the whole question is how much "big money" this club wants to pay for him. If it's £2 million then he, rightly, won't be going anywhere if Aberdeen stand their ground.

Will a club satisfy Aberdeen's valuation? Today's team sheet suggests something might be happening in the background.

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

He's played a "starring role in trophy winning season for Aberdeen" or helped the club reach the group stages in Europe has he? Because that's what I outlined as being ambitious as a successful Aberdeen player 

Well no, he hasn't achieved those KPIs that you've just unilaterally invented.  I hope you've passed this information on to the relevant authorities.  

Interesting that today’s pre-match newspaper interviews with Anderson, who I thought played well for Livingston, mention him doing more physical gym work in the past two two months than he’d done in his whole career.

Given similar kinds of comments from Cosgrove and Wright once they departed, and Glass after the United cup tie, I am beginning to wonder if Derek McInnes pushed hard for a dedicated training facility as it long as it had a decent snooker table.

29 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Surely were due a signing? 

JET is never an out and out striker, I would say we need two in. 

Paper thin at left sided centre half as well. 

Another Hedges type player would be welcome as well. Niall McGinn showed yesterday he was very lucky to get his 1 year deal, and we need better cover in those areas. 

They'd all be lovely but i've a feeling you'll end up disappointed. I reckon Glass thinks we have four cbs. 

28 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Surely were due a signing? 

JET is never an out and out striker, I would say we need two in. 

Paper thin at left sided centre half as well. 

Another Hedges type player would be welcome as well. Niall McGinn showed yesterday he was very lucky to get his 1 year deal, and we need better cover in those areas. 

Emmanuel-Thomas has regressed into exactly the type of player we thought we were getting, after a fairly spectacular debut vs Häcken in the home leg.

He can potentially still be a very useful squad member, but is a luxury player and should probably not start in any away games, and maybe some of the bigger home ones too. He is never a lone striker.

Will give the others, including McGinn, the benefit of the doubt in not being match sharp - some of them improved for a while in the second half.  We are just going through that strange period where we have a mix of overplayed and underplayed players, and the rumours of some going out and others coming in - with this ~£5M pot of gold being dangled in front of us, meaning Europe probably has to be #1 priority right now.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Presuming that we get through on Thursday, I would suspect that we'll see a completely different Dons side at Kirkcaldy on Sunday with maybe as many as 7 players being rested. 

Then there's a fair chance that we'll be away to Asia next week, with a long flight back less than 48 hours before a tough game at Tynecastle. Historically under McInnes, this is the point where the team start to look absolutely knackered, and there's a fair chance that we'll get turned over in Edinburgh.

Then we'll have Qarabag at Pittodrie on the Thursday night, before an easier (on paper) home game against Ross County. 

While I've been impressed with what we've produced under Glass so far, we're fast reaching the point where if we want to remain competitive in all competitions we need to strengthen our squad pretty quickly. 

Yesterday proved that we don't have a lot of back up for the first XI, and that we're only one Ramirez knock away from having no striker at all. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Then there's a fair chance that we'll be away to Asia next week, with a long flight back less than 48 hours before a tough game at Tynecastle. Historically under McInnes, this is the point where the team start to look absolutely knackered, and there's a fair chance that we'll get turned over in Edinburgh.

Ah that's right, if we go through the Breidablik tie, then the Hearts match will be moved to Sunday 22nd August won't it? I had forgotten that...

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Presuming that we get through on Thursday, I would suspect that we'll see a completely different Dons side at Kirkcaldy on Sunday with maybe as many as 7 players being rested. 

Then we'll have Qarabag at Pittodrie on the Thursday night, before an easier (on paper) home game against Ross County. 

While I've been impressed with what we've produced under Glass so far, we're fast reaching the point where if we want to remain competitive in all competitions we need to strengthen our squad pretty quickly. 

Yesterday proved that we don't have a lot of back up for the first XI, and that we're only one Ramirez knock away from having no striker at all. 

I’d argue the Raith cup game is bigger than one league game against Hearts