The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

50% in the lower mid table.*

Hearts 33% including 2 relegations and an administration (thanks to buying 2 cups).

I know which I prefer.

*Two League Cups if you use your original "three decades".

Aye, comparing it to Hearts would be a great point if I was on here acting all Billy Big Baws about having to play in a domestic cup competition.

But since I'm not...

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, comparing it to Hearts would be a great point if I was on here acting all Billy Big Baws about having to play in a domestic cup competition.

But since I'm not...

Then why bring it up?

It was obvious somebody would check our stats compared to Hearts.

4 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

The season finished. St J stayed in the top league. Surely you don’t need to wear nappies any more?

We've not signed anyone yet and lost half our team, they'll remain on until we make some decent signings.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Then why bring it up?

It was obvious somebody would check our stats compared to Hearts.

Because Hearts are irrelevant to the point being made.

It doesn't matter if the person pointing it out supports Hearts, Bayern Munich, Queens Park, or San Marino Reserves, an Aberdeen supporter acting as if his team is too big for the group stages is very, very funny when you take a quick look at Aberdeen's history.

Who I support is hee haw to do with it.

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

😀

I mean, no offence, but you support a club that's spent a good deal of the last three decades or so knocking about lower mid-table (bottom half of the league in 43% of seasons of the last three decades) and has won one solitary League Cup in the last 25 years.

You sound like you support Real Madrid or something.

League Cup group stages, THE HUMANITY! 😀

Ahh the old arbitrary timescale argument.

Here's another arbitrary timescale; we've qualified for Europe every year since 2013/14 with the exception of last year. Or an 89% qualification rate in the last 9 years.

So yes, last season was an absolute embarassment, and having to play in the league cup group stage is a continuation of that embarassment. Perfect opportunity for the youth team to get some games though, imo.

26 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Ahh the old arbitrary timescale argument.

Here's another arbitrary timescale; we've qualified for Europe every year since 2013/14 with the exception of last year. Or an 89% qualification rate in the last 9 years.

So yes, last season was an absolute embarassment, and having to play in the league cup group stage is a continuation of that embarassment. Perfect opportunity for the youth team to get some games though, imo.

Well, you're not really taking into account the lie of the Scottish fitba land in that era, are you?

Rangers were away from the top flight for four years and then came back a mess and a laughing stock, Hearts and Hibs have both been an absolute shambles. Other than Celtic, every other club that attracts five-figure crowds has been on its arse.

That's not Aberdeen's fault and it's not their problem, but surely you can see that this frequency of European qualification was always likely to represent a bit of a high watermark for Aberdeen in terms of the modern game?

Rangers are chucking money about again, Hearts have finally got themselves the right way up, and Hibs made it into Europe again last year. Did it never occur to you that Aberdeen weren't going to have such a comparable stroll forever?

Things are basically just back to normal now. Sometimes you'll make Europe, sometimes you won't. This is a hell of a drama-queen reaction to it you're having.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Rangers are chucking money about again, Hearts have finally got themselves the right way up, and Hibs made it into Europe again last year. Did it never occur to you that Aberdeen weren't going to have such a comparable stroll forever?

But we made it into Europe last season too, and Hibs didn't make the Top 6 this season let alone Europe, just like us.

So we've got four figure attendance teams in Dundee Untied and Motherwell in Europe.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Aberdeen fans should be expecting to finish above both?

But lets see how the Hearts juggernaut cope with two games a week up until the World Cup break...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

But we made it into Europe last season too, and Hibs didn't make the Top 6 this season let alone Europe, just like us.

So we've got four figure attendance teams in Dundee Untied and Motherwell in Europe.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Aberdeen fans should be expecting to finish above both?

But lets see how Hearts cope with two games a week up until the World Cup break...

No, it's not unreasonable to expect to finish above them. But it's also not going to happen every single year.

For example, you finished below Motherwell and Killie previously, but got into Europe because the other bigger clubs were all shite for a few years. Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, even United. Aberdeen had a more than fair wind due to the circumstances at other clubs, and that has now more or less gone.

All that's happened here is that your margin for error has been reduced. You won't make Europe every year. Neither will Hearts or Hibs. It just seems a very funny reaction to it. As if The Giants of Aberdeen playing in the group stages is some huge thing, like Real Madrid in the Conference League or something.

You'd better get used to this, it's going to happen from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The jambo has a point. 

To suggest we’re somehow above the league cup is petty in the extreme and just wrong. 

Only one person has claimed the group stages are irrelevant. It's doesn't seem to be a widespread opinion among Aberdeen fans but maybe @VincentGuerin wants to believe it is