The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Amen. 

We need a new man in ASAP, the man to tell the HoR what we need to be signing. 
Not someone to come in June, when we are back training later that month & we’ve got no idea what we want 

I've said this on Twitter to folk who say "just give it to Robson till the end of the season then get the new man in". Then when you say we need to sign virtually a full new team you get the "well we have a DoF and HoR"  

Some of our fans are beyond fucking clueless at times. 

Look how long it took to get Miovski's visa sorted for example? Fucking hell he was with us in Spain then had to send him home for 2 or 3 weeks before all his papers were in order. 

And you just know our first league game next season is away at the b*****d garden. 

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s quite a lot of melodramatic takes about Strachan. 

I mean, aye if we were giving him a 3 year contract and a budget to spend then I’d be pretty angry. 

But if you’re telling me he’s coming in to steady us until may then, he wouldn’t be my choice, but it’s a bit of a shrug of the shoulders. He’s not that bad. 

The problem I’d have with that is that Strachan is stubborn and can rub people up the wrong way. I could see him falling out with our players who have shown themselves to be thin-skinned to say the least and results tanking (or continuing to tank). I think there are enough bad teams below us to mean relegation is unlikely but it could easily go badly wrong if he comes in.

I wish Cormack good health but doesn't this emphasis the rather precarious way he's be running the club since 2019 or whenever he replaced Milne?

I don't know the inner workings of the club; however, the general impression is that Cormack has had trouble delegating the big decisions (or even the lesser ones).

But one man can't run a business of this size himself and there should always be an emergency line of succession in place.

I don't know if there is one or if there isn't but the way things have been going for the last couple of years then I would hedge my bets on the latter 

How effective Burrows will be away from his home turf in Motherwell is still unknown but at least it (in theory) should allow Cormack to convalesce in peace.

However, we seem to be stepping from one minor disaster to the next and the news of Cormack's health issues just as the new man is incoming does that nothing to suggest that we're out of the woods yet.

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I wish Cormack good health but doesn't this emphasis the rather precarious way he's be running the club since 2019 or whenever he replaced Milne?

I don't know the inner workings of the club; however, the general impression is that Cormack has had trouble delegating the big decisions (or even the lesser ones).

But one man can't run a business of this size himself and there should always be an emergency line of succession in place.

I don't know if there is one or if there isn't but the way things have been going for the last couple of years then I would hedge my bets on the latter 

How effective Burrows will be away from his home turf in Motherwell is still unknown but at least it (in theory) should allow Cormack to convalesce in peace.

However, we seem to be stepping from one minor disaster to the next and the news of Cormack's health issues just as the new man is incoming does that nothing to suggest that we're out of the woods yet.

Best wishes to Cormack, hopefully get positive news soon.

Your post reflects a bit of what some of our support think - we too have had a difficult period during this season, and while we have a CEO, the lack of visibility from Ron Gordon was making some fans a bit nervous and irritable, esp as his son was onthe hook for a lot of our shite signings.

It subsequently turned out that RG was undergoing treatment for cancer, which made his absence entirely understandable.

I think some fans think we are "entitled" to know everything thats going on at our clubs - to the extent that we wouldnt expect in other areas of life - when the truth is that anyone with a health issue has to be given privacy and time.

I think its a bit more difficult at the moment for Aberdeen as Burrows hasnt arrived yet, but I cant imagine that DC hasnt delegated other issues to board members, esp in light of this pending surgery.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

From his comments upon signing, I don't think he's interested in anything other than a short term deal but I've been impressed with MacDonald.

It’s just refreshing to have centre halves doing the basics competently. I know folk love playing out from the back and a style of play but if you have a solid back line, a competitive midfield and quality in forward areas then you can put together a functional team that could even (whisper it) be relatively consistent. 

Edited by Dons_1988

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s just refreshing to have centre halves doing the basics competently. I know folk love playing out from the back and a style of play but if you have a solid back line, a competitive midfield and quality in forward areas then you can put together a functional team that could even (whisper it) be relatively consistent. 

Well, from what I was told, Goodwin was the one who wanted Stewart playing out from the back.

Madness to carry on with that plan when you could see that was above his station in the league cup group stages.

We'll never know how he would have got on being a meat and potatoes defender.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well, from what I was told, Goodwin was the one who wanted Stewart playing out from the back.

Madness to carry on with that plan when you could see that was above his station in the league cup group stages.

We'll never know how he would have got on being a meat and potatoes defender.

It was indeed madness. I don’t really get why clubs of our size would be so dogmatic with style of play when it was obvious from the Peterhead game he couldn’t do it. And if that’s what he wanted from centre halves then why was he signed? 

Just flawed on so many levels. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

From his comments upon signing, I don't think he's interested in anything other than a short term deal but I've been impressed with MacDonald.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Spot on folks. Refreshing to just have two centre halves who like to defend and do the basics right. We're Aberdeen, trying to get into Europe. We don't need Beckenbauer, we need two or three boys willing to put their bodies on the line to keep the opposition to nil

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It was indeed madness. I don’t really get why clubs of our size would be so dogmatic with style of play when it was obvious from the Peterhead game he couldn’t do it. And if that’s what he wanted from centre halves then why was he signed? 

Just flawed on so many levels. 

Only Goodwin knows 😂

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Spot on folks. Refreshing to just have two centre halves who like to defend and do the basics right. We're Aberdeen, trying to get into Europe. We don't need Beckenbauer, we need two or three boys willing to put their bodies on the line to keep the opposition to nil

You definitely do need to be able to play out to an extent, but it doesn't need to be from the 6 yard box every time.

Just thought I would highlight MacDonald's performance as I was pretty vocal in criticising it at the time.

Was impressed with him, Shinnie and MacKenzie today. Duncan was a big upgrade on Kennedy too.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Only Goodwin knows 😂

You definitely do need to be able to play out to an extent, but it doesn't need to be from the 6 yard box every time.

Just thought I would highlight MacDonald's performance as I was pretty vocal in criticising it at the time.

Was impressed with him, Shinnie and MacKenzie today. Duncan was a big upgrade on Kennedy too.

I was shocked you weren’t shouting from the rooftops that we won as soon as Kennedy and Hayes were dropped 😉