The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Apologies for a Raith Rovers fan popping into your thread, however thought I’d drop this here before I flog on eBay! 

I am selling off my shirt collection which features the Don’s home kit 92-93 in a M. In pretty good condition, some bobbling here and there as should be expected of the age. Drop me a message if interested! 

F919F87B-0B2E-4798-9DBA-28DA3BA1B13B.jpeg

Gent FC's stadium, the Ghelamco Arena, looks a fantastic ground. Officially opened in 2013, it has a capacity of 20,175 and cost £70 million to build - same figure Dave Cormack has estimated for Aberdeen's new stadium. However unlikely it is to happen, I'd love to see Aberdeen build a stadium like that. 

Unknown.jpeg

194.jpeg

visit2018_reeks12-7.jpeg

Unknown1.jpeg

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Gent’s ground is apparently the template for what we want.

I think as the years go by, these generic lego arenas (as practical as they are) just look less and less attractive - and I am glad we’re still in the cowp that is Pittodrie.

36 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

McCrorie is still under contract until 2026 and is only 25. I think 2.5 million with add ons would be a fair price for his services.

Aye, times 2. Far more complete player than Ramsay.

9 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Aye, times 2. Far more complete player than Ramsay.

Certainly a more rounded player at 25 than Ramsay is at 19 but in terms of talent it isn’t even close. He’s definitely a useful utility player but I’d be surprised if a team was offering seven figures for him.

Fully on board with Robson being made permanent.

Fairly simple but effective set up. Have guys at the back who can defend with players from middle to front who can hurt teams. It’s fine having a certain style of play but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to win a game, like tonight. 

37 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Fully on board with Robson being made permanent.

Fairly simple but effective set up. Have guys at the back who can defend with players from middle to front who can hurt teams. It’s fine having a certain style of play but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to win a game, like tonight. 

I fully understand why you'd see it this way at the moment. But I'd advise caution and taking a step back to think.

A short run of form is not the same as being the right guy for 2-3 years.

Not disputing the job he's done at all, just talking about what the plan is medium term.

It's possible to think he's done a great job and think he's not the right guy.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I fully understand why you'd see it this way at the moment. But I'd advise caution and taking a step back to think.

Not disputing the job he's done at all, just talking about what the plan is medium term.

There's only so long we'll get away with playing the way we are.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's only so long we'll get away with playing the way we are.

I've not seen any of his games, apart from about twenty minutes of the one against us. So, can't comment on the performances beyond what other people say. And even my Aberdeen mates reckon it's been seat of the pants stuff.

However, if you look at what he inherited, turning that into a team that can win six games running is very impressive.

But I just think all clubs should be working off an actual plan. Where do we want to be in five years? How does this guy get us there?

I'll be saying the same if Naismith wins every game from now to the end of the season with Hearts. It's not about the last few weeks, it's about the next five years.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've not seen any of his games, apart from about twenty minutes of the one against us. So, can't comment on the performances beyond what other people say. And even my Aberdeen mates reckon it's been seat of the pants stuff.

However, if you look at what he inherited, turning that into a team that can win six games running is very impressive.

But I just think all clubs should be working off an actual plan. Where do we want to be in five years? How does this guy get us there?

I'll be saying the same if Naismith wins every game from now to the end of the season with Hearts. It's not about the last few weeks, it's about the next five years.

I speak to an ex Aberdeen player fairly regularly. He looked at the squads at the start of the season and said we should be finishing third, comfortably. I think Robson inherited a very good squad, Goodwin just didn't have a clue how to use it. Robson also got use of two defenders and a goalie that were better than what Jim had.

There's only so long you can base your game on coming out fast and winning second balls.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I agree, we should look at who else is available and what’s best long term.

However, by winning 7 from 9, with the only losses away to Celtic and vs St Mirren with 10 men for 83 minutes, it makes it difficult to argue that he’s not the best candidate to manage this team.

He’s shown that he can lift a squad bereft of confidence, set up a solid defence, get the most out of the squad he has and can adapt his team to find ways to win different types of games.

He’s not an experienced manager but he’s coached youth teams for years and worked with the first team under McInnes. He also has good recruitment and coaching teams which he can rely on.

5 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's only so long you can base your game on coming out fast and winning second balls.

This is actually a long-running conversation I've been having with a mate.

What was the last non-OF team to be successful (actually successful, not just patronised) while playing good football?

I honestly can't think of one. Mowbray's Hibs were a good side, but never finished higher than fourth, then when he left they won a cup but finished about sixth.

Is it really maybe just about winning a midfield battle and having a good back four? If so, nothing's really changed since Levein (mark 1).

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

This is actually a long-running conversation I've been having with a mate.

What was the last non-OF team to be successful (actually successful, not just patronised) while playing good football?

I honestly can't think of one. Mowbray's Hibs were a good side, but never finished higher than fourth, then when he left they won a cup but finished about sixth.

Is it really maybe just about winning a midfield battle and having a good back four? If so, nothing's really changed since Levein (mark 1).

Aberdeen 2016-17