The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We're getting a bit old firmy here, lads.

If Hearts have the demand then it's their right to sell to their fans.

No issue with them prioritising their own fans.

However, very odd that they decide their own fans suddenly aren’t that important when the minks roll into Edinburgh. Similar to United closing off the Shed to everyone except the same two clubs. 

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I don't attend many away games or have AberDNA anymore but I've still got 478 points.

I think your calcs are wrong.

And I'm still not likely getting a ticket. 

I think his calculations are wrong too. I have a season ticket and DNA but due to ill health have only been to one away game in 2023 and I'm on 613 points.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hearts are the ones being old firmy giving us a pathetic away allocation. The next step is to offer no away tickets at all, we’ve already seen that for the bigot bash. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if one of them implements that for other teams as well.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Hearts are the ones being old firmy giving us a pathetic away allocation. The next step is to offer no away tickets at all, we’ve already seen that for the bigot bash. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if one of them implements that for other teams as well.

Well, no.

Once the floodgates open regarding away fans getting a higher allocation if tickets remain unsold then what happens when we only sell 12k for the home end against the cheeks?

Well, no.

Once the floodgates open regarding away fans getting a higher allocation if tickets remain unsold then what happens when we only sell 12k for the home end against the cheeks?

What I’m suggesting is a 5 or 10% minimum away allocation, like what is in place in the Champions League, international qualifiers, English Premier League, Bundesliga etc (ie. competitions twitch bit of leadership and vision who don’t just sit back and let the clubs do whatever they want like the SPFL does).

I don’t really understand the situation you’re describing. With the above, away ends will be known at the start of the season. We’re not going to suddenly be handing over pockets of unsold seats to the cheeks in our own stadium 😅 we would however avoid ludicrous situations like Hearts away, Glasgow derbies, Celtic just deciding not to allow away fans because of ‘red zones’.

9 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I don't think this is old firmy at all. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but those that do are making cogent, reasonable arguments in support of their views. You'd not see that with the cheeks. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't think this is old firmy at all. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but those that do are making cogent, reasonable arguments in support of their views. You'd not see that with the cheeks. 

The problem is you do run the risk of being contradictory if you’re asking the SPFL to step in and it does set a bit of a precedent. 

We all encourage clubs to prioritise growing a sustainable home fan base over a quick buck by handing huge parts of the stadium over to the old firm. That is absolutely right in my mind. 

But now that a club has effectively done that to the point that they feel a larger away support is locking out some of their own support, that they want to be part of it and be regular attendees, we are now saying they’re spoiling the spectacle. I don’t think the premise of the complaint is strong enough for league intervention. 

And if they did, then the old firm would, with a bit of justification, ask why the league is intervening over a matter where a stadium would be full whether there’s 600 or 3,000 away supporters, when there’s limited allocations for them and empty seats left in stadiums. 

I’ve always thought that argument was a kid of shite from entitled cry baby Fanny’s, but if you set a precedent that the league should intervene to protect the ‘spectacle’ and selling ourselves then you add weight to it. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

The problem is you do run the risk of being contradictory if you’re asking the SPFL to step in and it does set a bit of a precedent. 

We all encourage clubs to prioritise growing a sustainable home fan base over a quick buck by handing huge parts of the stadium over to the old firm. That is absolutely right in my mind. 

But now that a club has effectively done that to the point that they feel a larger away support is locking out some of their own support, that they want to be part of it and be regular attendees, we are now saying they’re spoiling the spectacle. I don’t think the premise of the complaint is strong enough for league intervention. 

And if they did, then the old firm would, with a bit of justification, ask why the league is intervening over a matter where a stadium would be full whether there’s 600 or 3,000 away supporters, when there’s limited allocations for them and empty seats left in stadiums. 

I’ve always thought that argument was a kid of shite from entitled cry baby Fanny’s, but if you set a precedent that the league should intervene to protect the ‘spectacle’ and selling ourselves then you add weight to it. 

Most leagues have proper rules on away allocations.. It is the SPFL who are the outlier here by having a “reasonable allocation” rule which basically allows clubs to please themselves. One person’s interpretation of “reasonable” could be 5000 tickets while another’s 100 or 10% versus 1%.

21 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

By my calculations, if you had a season ticket and attended every single away league game for five seasons you wouldn’t even be half way there. Anyone in that bracket should be given first dibs, you shouldn’t be able to buy your way in through DNA (and I say that as a subscriber).

It's surely one of the key selling points of DNA though - access to tickets for hard to get away games and first dibs at the decent seats at Hampden.  If the club didn't offer that they wouldn't get as many DNA subscribers.  No matter what your opinion is about what DNA should be for, it does very much allow folk to buy their way into these matches, and although I don't subscribe to it, I kinda think fair enough - those folk are putting more money into the club than I am (assuming they are also season ticket holders).  

Edited by resk

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

Most leagues have proper rules on away allocations.. It is the SPFL who are the outlier here by having a “reasonable allocation” rule which basically allows clubs to please themselves. One person’s interpretation of “reasonable” could be 5000 tickets while another’s 100 or 10% versus 1%.

I’m not opposed to there being a rule really. 

But it would need to be a league wide discussion and if the premise of the argument is protecting the spectacle and selling the game then you are leaving the door ajar for it to be exploited. 

57 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not opposed to there being a rule really. 

But it would need to be a league wide discussion and if the premise of the argument is protecting the spectacle and selling the game then you are leaving the door ajar for it to be exploited. 

Yip.

Just seems that folk are upset they can't attend but not looking at the bigger picture.

What happens if we only have 10k home supporters for a 1230ko v Celtic or Rangers?

Yip.

Just seems that folk are upset they can't attend but not looking at the bigger picture.

What happens if we only have 10k home supporters for a 1230ko v Celtic or Rangers?

Then they get their usual away allocation based on a set minimum percentage, like everyone is suggesting.

The bigger picture is that an increasing number of clubs are taking the piss when it comes to away allocations and treatment of away fans.

The EPL have a minimum of 3k/10% away ends, which shouldn’t just be in an upper tier (where possible) with tickets capped at £30. Perhaps we should aim for something similar in Scotland as well, instead of away supports being locked out of games entirely or stuck behind a pillar (Celtic), given antiquated unsafe stands whilst better areas sit empty (United) or paying as much as £35 for a ticket (Rangers).

- ticket prices, yes I’ll give you 

- away allocations - how much of a problem is it really in this league? Other than the old firm entitlement how many away fans are actually ‘locked out’? We have a great following but other than hearts and the OF where is it actually difficult to get a ticket for?