The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Certainly wasn't complaining about MacKenzie at 4.40pm this afternoon while wildly celebrating his goal inside Ibrox

I take it all back. A great finish and that tackle is boner inducing. 

3 hours ago, fasda2 said:

Also remember the 86 final where a pretty decent heart’s defence (Jardine, Levine and maybe Whittaker) gave McDougall a hard time. He dragged them all over the shop and Hewitt and Stark got the goals. 

I think that was his last match....he wasn't moving freely in that final if I remember correctly

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Any recommendations for parking nearish to the ground for Thursday? Heading South post match and in the Merkland end if that makes a difference. 

Can usually get somewhere in the residential bits around pittodrie if you’re early enough. Leave it too late and you’re probably looking at parking on froghall or somewhere like that. 

For hacken I got parked on park road but I was in south and could enter through normal away end so was ideal. 

Edited by Dons_1988

32 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Any recommendations for parking nearish to the ground for Thursday? Heading South post match and in the Merkland end if that makes a difference. 

I park in a wee car park off St Peter Street.

On 19/09/2023 at 20:45, Thenorthernlight said:

I hear what you say, but I’ve seen enough.

Robson is too one dimensional.

There is NO plan B when the direct, long ball shite doesn’t work.

This is only going one inevitable way unfortunately.

The next 4 games will seal it I reckon. 

Those next four games have gone okay to say the least.

Was Frankfurt on and off the park the catalyst for the improvement and the new recruits starting to bond into a cohesive team?  As Robson said from day one - get the defence sorted and the rest can often take care of itself - hopefully that is now starting to happen.

Thursday will likely see us having to break down a likely organised opponent that will want to counter-attack us - will see how that goes.

That was an affa rick from Kelle on Saturday - but fortunately for him, the outcome/ narrative of the game means it will largely be forgotten.

Gartenmann & Jensen are as good, if not better, than Pollock & Scales. I'd like to see how Angus MacDonald would get on in a back 3 with them.

The midfield looks a bit more balanced, Shinnie seems to be a bit more disciplined in screening the back 3, and not trying to do everything, everywhere, all at once, and crucially we seem to be trying to play 'through the 3rds' and not lumping it long.

39 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Gartenmann & Jensen are as good, if not better, than Pollock & Scales. I'd like to see how Angus MacDonald would get on in a back 3 with them.

The midfield looks a bit more balanced, Shinnie seems to be a bit more disciplined in screening the back 3, and not trying to do everything, everywhere, all at once, and crucially we seem to be trying to play 'through the 3rds' and not lumping it long.

Shinnie was immense on Saturday. That’s as good as he can play. Here’s hoping for plenty more performances like that. 

Some of the early season criticism for Shinnie was way over the top. He was being asked to essentially play a dual role after Ramadani left, which was just too much despite the admirable amount of work he goes through in a typical game. But he has benefitted post-Hearts from both Barron's presence in the Ross County games and having such a compact mid-block against 'better' opposition. He was outstanding on Saturday. 

I think what we have shown against Frankfurt and Rangers is that, under Robson, we are capable of being good antagonists, to be really wanky about it. The next three domestic games, against St Johnstone, Dundee and Kilmarnock, might tell us a bit more about whether we are so comfortable when the opposition want to play that role too. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Some of the early season criticism for Shinnie was way over the top. He was being asked to essentially play a dual role after Ramadani left, which was just too much despite the admirable amount of work he goes through in a typical game. But he has benefitted post-Hearts from both Barron's presence in the Ross County games and having such a compact mid-block against 'better' opposition. He was outstanding on Saturday. 

I think what we have shown against Frankfurt and Rangers is that, under Robson, we are capable of being good antagonists, to be really wanky about it. The next three domestic games, against St Johnstone, Dundee and Kilmarnock, might tell us a bit more about whether we are so comfortable when the opposition want to play that role too. 

This is how I feel.

Add Hacken away and Celtic to this.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

This is how I feel.

Add Hacken away and Celtic to this.

Agreed but…there is signs of flexibility and learning.

One of the main ones being polvara being used in a game like Saturday. I do think he offers something off the ball in the press and in the shape which suits that ‘antagonist’ game. 

Bringing in barron for a ross county where he can dictate play and do a lot of things polvara can’t makes sense. Clearly we have the 541 formation now which looks effective and even Mackenzie instead of a mcgarry in certain fixtures has its place too. 

Still a lot to prove but it’s a bit more of a comfort than the same 352 every week, home or away, no matter the opposition. 

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Cheers for sending Bavidge down to us lads, looks a player and doesn't mind the rough n tumble , always seem to get really good prospects from you , now if you don't mind send Milne back down for the rest of the season 😂😂👌🏼

That's good to read,  I wasn't wholly impressed with his attitude at Tynecastle (seemed to give up on a challenge) and Charlton (went down in the penalty box when I felt he could've stayed on his feet and got a shot on goal) but he didn't play much minutes in either game so I was probably a bit unfair with my opinion on the loon.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

15 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed but…there is signs of flexibility and learning.

One of the main ones being polvara being used in a game like Saturday. I do think he offers something off the ball in the press and in the shape which suits that ‘antagonist’ game. 

Bringing in barron for a ross county where he can dictate play and do a lot of things polvara can’t makes sense. Clearly we have the 541 formation now which looks effective and even Mackenzie instead of a mcgarry in certain fixtures has its place too. 

Still a lot to prove but it’s a bit more of a comfort than the same 352 every week, home or away, no matter the opposition. 

I'd argue he brought Barron in due to the European game on the Thursday and Clarkson being knackered but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

County we were lucky not to be 1-0 down before we scored and was never comfortable until we got a second but three points are three points.

Would love for him to prove me wrong.

21 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I usually park at the Macrobert building off St Machar drive. Isn't too bad for getting away afterwards either. 

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'd argue he brought Barron in due to the European game on the Thursday and Clarkson being knackered but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

County we were lucky not to be 1-0 down before we scored and was never comfortable until we got a second but three points are three points.

Would love for him to prove me wrong.

I am confident we will put on another good showing on Thursday. Confidence will be sky high and there will be a real togetherness about them after the last few games. I agree it is a new test for Robson to be more attacking but I think the players will be up to it now.