The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I would like to see us finishing closer to Celtic than the Rangers.

If it was a choice of finishing 30 points behind Celtic but still being 10 ahead of the child stealers, or the dead club not getting into Europe, I'd choose the latter personally.

49 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I would prefer St Johnstone to finish third, but care more about Aberdeen finishing as clear in second as possible.

Are The Rangers actually allowed in Europe? Thought they had a five year ban or something.

Of course we all care more about Aberdeen. My position on the matter is a pragmatic one. If they qualify for Europe, that provides them another carrot for attracting quality players on top of their existing financial advantage.

Keeping them out of Europe for as long as possible increases the chance they go into liquidation.

Of course if they are banned from Europe, I'd like them to finish 3rd just to watch the utter heads gone. There would be riots, and petitions, and the media implosion would be hysterical. Every day a new depth would be delved to.

Edited by Illgresi

3 hours ago, R.Mutt said:

We could at least rest a few players ahead of the split.

Maybe give a youth goalie his debut?

I've heard that Peter Pawlett fancies himself as a goalie. Good time to try him out IMO. 

9 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I would prefer St Johnstone to finish third, but care more about Aberdeen finishing as clear in second as possible.

Are The Rangers actually allowed in Europe? Thought they had a five year ban or something.

They would be allowed now, if they were to qualify. You need to be able to provide three years of accounts to be in a European competition which they didn't have 2012-2015.

Financial Fair Play could disqualify them in theory but UEFA have been fairly lenient on this in practice and have only really punished repeat offenders.

With this in mind, I'm quite happy to follow the jammamamafagan (whatever his name is) approach and forfeit the points against Saints for the greater good of Scottish football. It's in all of our interests that seasoned Euro-veterans St Johnstone continue their good work in the Europa League instead of letting some upstart lower league outfit embarrass the nation. I'd even go as far as saying I'd be happy to see Hibs reclaim the Scottish Cup to ensure they get a European place too.

I want Aberdeen to win the Scottish but if Saints finished 3rd there would be no words to describe how pleasing it would be to see Hibs win the cup and take 4th placed Rangers European place. Oh man, it would be sensational.

How could you..!? I thought you were a Top Red!!

(From a patter point of view, yeah that'd be pretty funny)

10 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Nah, they weren't eligible to play in Europe for 3 years as a new club. The ban was one of the fictional penalties listed by the "we've been punished enough already" crowd.

Remember back in December when some folk were claiming mcinnes' reign had gone stale and it was time for a change [emoji1]

I've not been as active in recent months and so only saw your post, but I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of them. It had gotten a bit boring at the tail end of last year but he's completely changed the playing style, we're a lot more direct (as in we are getting forward with purpose rather than the other meaning of 'direct' which means playing hoofball). We've been a joy to watch and he's proven me wrong so I can't complain, I didn't think he had it in him to overhaul his pragmatism. There's still the gripe of the league cup final performance but it's well in the past now.

I just pray he sets us up on Sunday the same way we've been for the last few months. If he does, we should paste them.

14 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I want Aberdeen to win the Scottish but if Saints finished 3rd there would be no words to describe how pleasing it would be to see Hibs win the cup and take 4th placed Rangers European place. Oh man, it would be sensational.

On the other hand, it would also be sensational for one of the Gibratarian giants of European football to beat another Old Firm team.