The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

If Aberdeen get the Tansey of a season or two back then it's a cracking signing. If they get the one from the last year Dons fans will be wondering why they bothered. To be fair to him I think he's really suffered playing alongside Vigurs especially this season. When Draper has anchored the midfield Tansey has been a lot more like his old self and really orchestrated a lot of our play getting forward much more frequently and linking defence with attack really well.

Always gutting to lose a good player, especially to Aberdeen given how many have moved down the A96, but given how inevitable this transfer has seemed it's not much of a surprise really.

*insert shrug of shoulders gif*

Edited by RiG

He's a more defensive, ball-winning midfielder yes?

Play alongside Jack, move Shinnie into LB?

Jack to depart with Tansey lined up as a replacement?

I'm hearing from a few mates that Greg Stewart could be a McGinn replacement. Out of favour at Birmingham, no goals (and possibly no assists either) for them since joining

1 minute ago, gkneil said:

I'm hearing from a few mates that Greg Stewart could be a McGinn replacement. Out of favour at Birmingham, no goals (and possibly no assists either) for them since joining

No, not a ball winner at all imo. Excellent Deep Lying Playmaker or could easily play in behind the striker

Just now, gkneil said:

No not really. He's more the kind of midfielder to sit deep and move the ball through defence to the attack or wingers and then try and get forward to support. He can tackle but not overly well and he's definitely not a ball winner. If that's what you needed, and I think it is, you would have been better taking a shot at Draper. 

Totally expected signing, not sure it's what Aberdeen actually need though. Pretty jealous as he's absolutely class, and dominates us, possession wise, every time we play him.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Totally expected signing, not sure it's what Aberdeen actually need though. Pretty jealous as he's absolutely class, and dominates us, possession wise, every time we play him.

Ryan JAck has not signed a contract with us, every chance he's away. Good solid replacement. 

49 minutes ago, gkneil said:

I'd be delighted with Stewart, very similar to McGinn, good technique, great shot, great cross. 

Tansey is a bit meh from me, not a bad signing, and certainly should be better amongst better players. Will be disappointing if it means Jack is away, but with him and McGinn, you can't really grudge them having a shot at the big bucks down south. Can certainly see either returning a few years down the line if it doesn't work out. 

Just imagine, IMAGINE, the absolute seethe from the Dens Park faithful if Stewart comes.

There won't be any seethe, I expect him to be with you within the next 3-4 year as he's not good enough for the English Championship. Doesn't have the pace nor does he have the positional sense to thrive down there, many Dundee fans said it just before he left.

He'd obviously be an excellent signing for Aberdeen or indeed, pretty much anyone in Scotland but I reckon next season would be a season too soon. He'll still be wanting to make his mark down South and probably sign for another English side first.

All a bit meh for me. Tansey is probably going to replace Jack who seems set to leave given he's not signed the contract nor given any hint of wanting to. With Shinnie beside him, two decent ball playing players in midfield, but Tansey has been underperforming since the game against us mid-February last year. At least Kenny Cameron will be absolutely raging - GIRFUY.

Don't begrudge Niall McGinn a last pay day in England. Served us well for five years and probably quite fancies more money and a proper post-season break for once. Be very interesting to see how McInnes copes with replacing him - it won't be easy. Greg Stewart, Sam Nicholson and GMS would be cracking replacements but all very fanciful truthfully, very very fanciful and unlikely to happen.

Think Tansey could be a very interesting alternative to Jack.

Jack's main role is sitting back, keeping the ball moving, achieveing 100% pass completion and filling in the space when someone else moves forward. 

i think tansey while probably not as disciplined as Jack can do some of that role while also striding forward for 5 or so goals from midfield per season and taking a lot of the set pieces.

Interesting.

I just hope Jack doesnt end up at sevco

3 hours ago, gkneil said:

If this happens then I'll be heading to a few more Dons games this season.  Class act who would fit in well at Aberdeen.

I was very keen on signing Tansey last season; since then, however, there does appear to have been a downturn in his form, but I have to admit that I have not been studying him too closely. I have usually been impressed by some aspects of his game when I have watched him, though. At least we are getting the business completed early, if he is indeed intended as a direct replacement for Jack. I very much doubt it is a case of moving Shinnie to left-back: McInnes has made it abundantly clear that he sees Shinnie as a central midfielder for the foreseeable future. 

McGinn will be very difficult to replace. He is a fantastic player at this level, his statistics are very impressive and he has served the team consistently well since arriving under Brown. He still doesn't receive the recognition or praise he deserves from some sections of our support, I feel; they may only learn to fully appreciate him when he is gone. As for potential replacements: I don't particularly rate Mackay-Steven, but Stewart would be a sound addition. We will have to wait and see, I suppose. I would obviously rather have retained McGinn for another season or two. But the longer we went without hearing any positive developments on the new contract front, the more I suspected that we were going to lose him in the summer. 

Tansey is fine - almost certain to replace Jack by the looks of it.

I really like Ryan Jack, but at times felt I was in a minority - and he's had some brutal and OTT abuse from his own fans at times - don't blame him for wanting to move.  Tansey not exactly the same style, so we'll need to adapt - will probably weaken us in certain games (tougher away games where we soak up and break on teams, where Jack tends to be ideal), but make us more of a goal threat in these ever so common home matches when the opponents try to $hitfest it.

Likewise McGinn - great player, but 30 in the summer and looking for a 3 year deal - pace could go well within that time, and you're left with a less effective wide player on big bucks - let Bolton, Oxford or Hearts take that risk.  Don't blame him for looking for a fresh challenge anyway - 5 years is a long time at any club these days for someone with no ties to the area.

Greg Stewart seems another of these production line who look a standout in our league - does little in England - then comes back to an Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, United etc......is it just the pace and athleticism down there they struggle with?  Nevertheless, would take him ahead of others mentioned such as Mackay-Steven or Nicholson.

Would like to see us keep Taylor - makes mistakes, but we've had a lot of clean sheets recently, so defence has to take some of the credit.