The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Fair doos. Hopefully his knee injury hasn't stunted his abilities. 

He scored an absolute screamer in one of his few outings after injury, so you'd suggest if he's treated correctly he'll be fine.

Don't you think you still need to replace Hayes' pace?

Probably.

But if this goes through then we're looking at an attack of Rooney, Christie, Stewart, may, Scott Wright, possibly maloney?

Whilst I agree it's not the quickest attack I feel like we've got good options in attacking areas. We certainly don't at centre half.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably.

But if this goes through then we're looking at an attack of Rooney, Christie, Stewart, may, Scott Wright, possibly maloney?

Whilst I agree it's not the quickest attack I feel like we've got good options in attacking areas. We certainly don't at centre half.

Whilst I whole heartedly agree that would be a formidable attack and that a CH should be priority I can't help but think that someone direct & pacey like Hayes is a must for games where you're hemmed in otherwise teams will just defend at high line against you.

Whilst I whole heartedly agree that would be a formidable attack and that a CH should be priority I can't help but think that someone direct & pacey like Hayes is a must for games where you're hemmed in otherwise teams will just defend at high line against you.

Yeah I agree we could probably use that, who knows Scott Wright might make that role his own this season if he kicks on.

I think we will at least try and sign someone like that, mcinnes knows how effective Hayes was for us.

So far the signings and reported targets suggest to me that McInnes intends to play a much narrower game this season. Hayes and McGinn swapping sides, full of pace and hard work tracking back. None of the new players are similar are they? I am just not getting a clear picture of how this new squad will line up in a starting 11.

No question they are very good players brought in and that we are being linked with.

Centre half, at least one.

A centre half would be good but the worst case scenario is right now is we could start with a back four of Logan, Reynolds, Considine and Shinne and Lewis in goals.  

I was thinking back the other day to when we started the first leg of the game against Sigma Olomouc when Stuart Duff was a centre back and Derek Young was a right back :wacko:  So things could be worse!  I also can't believe that was almost 8 years ago now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8175000.stm

A centre half would be good but the worst case scenario is right now is we could start with a back four of Logan, Reynolds, Considine and Shinne and Lewis in goals.  

I was thinking back the other day to when we started the first leg of the game against Sigma Olomouc when Stuart Duff was a centre back and Derek Young was a right back :wacko:  So things could be worse!  I also can't believe that was almost 8 years ago now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8175000.stm

Remember it well.

Was late for the game and found out the back 4 walking down merkland road. Was about to go through the turnstile and someone shouted fucksake were 1-0 down.

Yep, that sounds about right [emoji1]

ETA- that back 4 you've suggested isn't anywhere near as bad as sigma

I may be in be minority here but I'm unconvinced by Stevie May. His goal scoring record has been dire, he could drift out of games a lot of what I remember him, and whilst he's a decent enough SPFL player spending £300,000 on someone who seems permanently injured because he had one ok season a couple of years ago feels risky.

Hope to be proved very wrong if he does sign for us.

4 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I may be in be minority here but I'm unconvinced by Stevie May. His goal scoring record has been dire, he could drift out of games a lot of what I remember him, and whilst he's a decent enough SPFL player spending £300,000 on someone who seems permanently injured because he had one ok season a couple of years ago feels risky.

McInnes knows him pretty well. I would think he's in a good position to make a judgement. There is always a risk, regardless who you buy. This could pay off in a big way for the Dons. If we do sign him, its important he is always on Fighting Jay's team in training 5's though.

13 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Bit harsh to say his goal scoring record is dire.  Going by the ever reliable Wiki he scored 34 goals in almost 80 matches for St Johnstone before 7 in 39 for Sheff Wed.  Preston he's been injured for the majority of his time.

The English Championship is a totally different style of play for the SPFL top flight. In his whole career he's playing 180 games and scored 84 goals which is basically a goal every 2 matches.   I'd say he's about Adam Rooney's level so would be an excellent signing.

Are Aberdeen really going to spend the sort of fee talked about on a player who hasn't even managed two full games in 19 months? He'd done three ligaments in his knee. I want him to be a success but seems a crazy gamble by Aberdeen for me.

Has McInnes had much luck with signings that aren't "known" to fans up here? Obviously with players like Christie, Rooney, Tansey, Shinnie they've been good for all the club and are all "known" up here but despite their success has he been able to unearth any gems for Aberdeen since he's been there?

Obviously I'm not saying that he shouldn't sign players like those mentioned above but it seems rare that someone comes in who is a relative unknown and they go on to big things at the club.

Has McInnes had much luck with signings that aren't "known" to fans up here? Obviously with players like Christie, Rooney, Tansey, Shinnie they've been good for all the club and are all "known" up here but despite their success has he been able to unearth any gems for Aberdeen since he's been there?

Obviously I'm not saying that he shouldn't sign players like those mentioned above but it seems rare that someone comes in who is a relative unknown and they go on to big things at the club.

Ward, lewis, Logan and but of course josh Parker!

I agree it's not that many though.

3 hours ago, shootingboots said:

We've bid £300k for him so permanent. 

Not sure about a ball winning midfielder, we have Shinnie who is excellent in there. Jack wasn't/isn't a ball winner. 

Centre half definitely though. 

Manager said in his press conference that we are still looking for a Striker/Winger/Central Defender