The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

And isn't it true that Milne is getting some sort of deal out of this because of his housing company? Like he owns the land of something? The whole idea stinks IMO and Aberdeen FC could do far, far better.

News to me.

I'm all for alternative ideas but they're lacking in any detail other than 'redevelop Pittodrie', which the club say cannot be done. 

Unfortunately Aberdeen don't have an unlimited budget either. Yes be ambitious but you also have to adopt a realistic outlook. 

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

....Aberdeen FC could do far, far better.

I agree with some of your points but I struggle to see how we could do far far better? This is our chance to really progress as a club with state if the art facilities. Where else in the city can we build a stadium like this?

I don't think we can redevelop pittodrie. It's just not financially possible and I we'll still not have the training grounds. 

As for bars in toon - the clever businessmen will set up busses and supporters groups for match days. I like the idea and look of the fanzone,  bar and red café....I can already see myself sitting with a Pre-match latte getting my buzz on.

I'm struggling not to be positive about this project - but will it get the go ahead? I'm sceptical as there are too many bed wetters who'd love to see this fail.

I agree with jamamafegan. Renovate Pittodrie, there looks to be plenty enough space round about it for a 20,000 capacity ground. It's got that already for FFS!

The best grounds to go to are always inner city ones with plenty of pubs around and atmosphere, not soulless arenas on industrial estates. Our move worked out well because we were a part time team in a lower division and our facilities were really basic. It allowed us to attract better players, and to make far more income away from matchday. 

But our stadium is no longer unique, far from it, so who visits McDiarmid now because they like the ground, or it's something different?  There are very few pubs in the surrounding area and it brings hardly any revenue to the city centre bars and restaurants on match day, as folk are bussed in/ drive straight to the ground.  We didn't really have a choice, but Aberdeen must do surely.

As mentioned, the first season or two would be great with big crowds, but as soon as you hit a dodgy spell, your fickle home support would half, and you'd sit in your plastic bowl staring into space, realising that they've ripped the heart out of your football club.

Fancy computer simulations showing new developments always look great, but how good would 3 new steep stands close to the pitch, with the supporters bar and museum incorporated, at the current site look?  And build a training complex/ academy somewhere else.

Get one of those huge plastic cows like Hearts and start saving...

Biggest problem obv is the cooncil. Any other city would be contorting themselves to make this, or the previous schemes happen. The investment is enormous for a small city and has huge benefits but I'd bet a bollock one of Willie Youngs lodge pals has an allotment within 2 miles of it so it won't happen.

Fucking c***s.

Given the Space dimentions that Aberdeen have to use, Pittodrie probably could be redeveloped - but it would cost more or less the same as the new stadium and would probably lower the capacity to under 17,000.

I know Milne said it would be 12,000 - but I think he's being melodramatic, as is his point that Aberdeen would have to play European games in Edinburgh - when there's a Grade 4 Stadium of reasonable size in Dundee.

2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

The Club have said until it's blue in the face we can't redevelop Pittodrie, the South, Main and Merkland Stands are too close to residential property to redevelop.

We also couldn't even afford to shut the Main Stand, it's an essential part of commercial income. 

This. it was an option once but with the flats nearby we'd need to buy out ~50 odd homes. 

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Biggest problem obv is the cooncil. Any other city would be contorting themselves to make this, or the previous schemes happen. The investment is enormous for a small city and has huge benefits but I'd bet a bollock one of Willie Youngs lodge pals has an allotment within 2 miles of it so it won't happen.

Fucking c***s.

This will ultimately be the downfall. Our council is a f*cking shambles.

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

The Club have said until it's blue in the face we can't redevelop Pittodrie, the South, Main and Merkland Stands are too close to residential property to redevelop.

We also couldn't even afford to shut the Main Stand, it's an essential part of commercial income. 

It's frustrating that we can redevelop pittodrie but it's not physically or financially viable.

I'm not against the idea of a new stadium completely - I just think the current location and design are absolutely dreadful. I'd be happy to see Pittodrie flattened and rebuilt as a state of the art stadium but going by posts here that is not an option.

Surely there has to be a brownfield site in the city centre which would be appropriate?

2 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Given the Space dimentions that Aberdeen have to use, Pittodrie probably could be redeveloped - but it would cost more or less the same as the new stadium and would probably lower the capacity to under 17,000.

I know Milne said it would be 12,000 - but I think he's being melodramatic, as is his point that Aberdeen would have to play European games in Edinburgh - when there's a Grade 4 Stadium of reasonable size in Dundee.

Don't think there's the space any more. 15/20 years ago there was ample space. FML.

This inability to redevelop Pittodrie comes from the same man who has stated that the only option for the club was Loirston oh no wait Kingswells and that a 10 team top division was the only option for our leagues' future...

Oh well it must be true

17 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

So Hearts can develop a 20,000 capacity ground on their hemmed in site, yet Aberdeen can't here:

IMG_0478.PNG

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

This. it was an option once but with the flats nearby we'd need to buy out ~50 odd homes. 

Given the fall in property values across most of the city now would be a good time to do something like that!

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

So Hearts can develop a 20,000 capacity ground on their hemmed in site, yet Aberdeen can't here:

IMG_0478.PNG

We've hemmed ourselves in really with the RDS. If we could shift east, have two big end stands and smaller flanking stands, there could be an interesting stadium design there. I guess if they developed Pittodrie the RDS would be the last one to go, considering its so new. 

There's been a shit load of mistakes from the club over the years, but the reality is we're in this situation now. I don't know if we could wait a few years and perhaps some more investment could come along to facilitate any redevelopment. Seems like wishful thinking though. This seems to be the only affordable way forward. I'm more buzzed about the training pitches to be fair, hopefully we could attract some better players with them!

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

I'm more buzzed about the training pitches to be fair, hopefully we could attract some better players with them!

I don't think you can grumble too much on that score right now! 

On paper, Aberdeen have the most exciting front line in the country...

May, Stewart and Christie, with Shinnie and Maclean supporting, and GMS as back up. All Scottish, and mostly fairly young.  I'd be buzzing about that just now if I was a Dons fan.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't think you can grumble too much on that score right now! 

On paper, Aberdeen have the most exciting front line in the country...

May, Stewart and Christie, with Shinnie and Maclean supporting, and GMS as back up. All Scottish, and mostly fairly young.  I'd be buzzing about that just now if I was a Dons fan.

Aye, and if we can get even better who knows who we can get! It'll go a long way to preserving what McInnes has done. A lot of these players are only at the club because of the man, and he'll move on at some point. If we had proper training facilities, the club will be a more attractive proposition, even with the inevitable diddy manager we get in charge once McInnes is off.  

1 hour ago, R.Mutt said:

This will ultimately be the downfall. Our council is a f*cking shambles.

It's frustrating that we can redevelop pittodrie but it's not physically or financially viable.

I believe only about 6 people showed up to object to the Labour council effectively disrespecting the whole of the Aberdeen electorate and staying in power at all costs. 

Aberdeen voted these people in in the first place, no one objected when they outright cheated to stay in power, so we got what we deserve and can't complain.