The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

McGinn may want to link up with Lennon at Hibs.

BRING HIM HOME

More like its Edina Tinder he wants to link up with. The cheeky monkey.

I dearly hope he comes back to us though. Unless he joins HIbs. In which case I have a statement prepared stating he's shite and not good enough for us.

More like its Edina Tinder he wants to link up with. The cheeky monkey.
I dearly hope he comes back to us though. Unless he joins HIbs. In which case I have a statement prepared stating he's shite and not good enough for us.

There is a certain expectation that is concomitant with re-signing for a club like aberdeen.

If Niall doesn’t feel he is up to it we will endorse this position.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Can't believe it is 10 years ago to the day since we beat FC Copenhagen 4-0.

34 years ago today we beat Hamburg 2-0 to win the Super cup.

Anyone else old enough to have been at both games? ^_^

Typical sheep, living in the past comments to follow this post.

I was at the home leg only. I couldn't get to many midweek games because my da was a fisherman and was usually at sea Sunday to Friday. On this occasion the boats were tied up for Christmas so we got to the game. 

Heady days. I thought they would last forever.

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

McGinn may want to link up with Lennon at Hibs.

BRING HIM HOME

The same Neil Lennon who froze him out st Celtic. 

I reckon McGinn watched Aberdeen dismantle Hibs the other week and realised if he wants trophies and Europe, then he has more chance of that at Kingsford than at Easter Road.

19 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Aberdeen director Duncan Skinner charged with breaching SFA rules on gambling on football https://t.co/aGdrhGteCt

Surely people that high up in the club have zero effect on the team? In a league who's main sponsor is a bookie, They're banned from betting on any football, not just Scottish? Absolutely absurd. 

Teams can dodge millions in tax through EBT's, paying players and staff that they can't afford and not be punished, yet someone (a multi-millionaire) with no influence on team affairs places a couple of bets and gets dragged over the coals? Think the SFA need to develop some common sense.

Edited by AFCDannyFTH

1 minute ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Surely people that high up in the club have zero effect on the team? They're banned from betting on any football, not just Scottish? Absolutely absurd. 

Teams can dodge millions in tax through EBT's, paying players and staff that they can't afford and not be punished, yet someone (a multi-millionaire) with no influence on team affairs places a couple of bets and gets dragged over the coals? Think the SFA need to develop some common sense.

In fairness it's worldwide ban so presumably it's FIFA not the SFA. So take it up with them.

This is from the English FA http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/betting/betting-rules

These rules apply to everyone involved in football, from the players and managers, to the match officials and club staff.

New rules introduced from 1 August 2014

A worldwide ban on betting on football will come into force from 1 August 2014 for all those involved in the game at Premier League, Football League, National League and Women's Super League levels, as well as those at clubs in the the Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues and all other Participants who do not fall into the category below.

Participants covered by the ban will be prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world. 

The changes to FA Rules from the start of the 2014/15 season will also effect a worldwide ban on betting on any other football-related matter. For example, the transfer of players, employment of managers or team selection. The passing of inside information to somebody that uses the information for betting remains prohibited.    

21 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Aberdeen director Duncan Skinner charged with breaching SFA rules on gambling on football https://t.co/aGdrhGteCt

They include one bet on the Dons to lose to Celtic at Parkhead in February this year – when the Hoops won 1-0."

Match fixing rumours....

Seriously, if football is so focused on the issue of gambling, the authorities should be setting an example and binning Ladbrokes, William Hill and Betfred. 

Most of the threat is not from this sort of guy betting on match outcomes. It's the same problem as in cricket - spot betting. If you're going to offer odds on the time of the first throw in, corner or yellow card then you're open to corruption. There's an easy answer - don't offer markets in a team sport where the bet can be manipulated by one person without involving others. 

18 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness it's worldwide ban so presumably it's FIFA not the SFA. So take it up with them.

This is from the English FA http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/betting/betting-rules

No matter what anyone’s views on this, the rules could not be clearer. If you’re involved with a club then you cannot bet on any football match, anywhere, at any time. No grey areas, clear as a bell. 

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Seriously, if football is so focused on the issue of gambling, the authorities should be setting an example and binning Ladbrokes, William Hill and Betfred. 

Most of the threat is not from this sort of guy betting on match outcomes. It's the same problem as in cricket - spot betting. If you're going to offer odds on the time of the first throw in, corner or yellow card then you're open to corruption. There's an easy answer - don't offer markets in a team sport where the bet can be manipulated by one person without involving others. 

I used to be heavily involved in the gaming industry, with Betfred for one, so I'm sympathetic to them, and while I think replacing what they put into the game would be difficult (not just leagues/cups, but individual teams too), it's a very good point min.