The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

28 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

There's something to be said for the hype machine that Hibs can sometimes be. Any good player they've got is world class, any signing they are in for is automatically incredible etc.

Fair point. if we'd signed Kamberi and mclaren we'd still be hearing about our declining squad.

I think the wee clubs have lower expectations.

4 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Played under Lennon before. Somewhat impressed by Hibs signings, feels like they have managed to get in players I would have liked to see at the Dons. Not sure what it is they are doing right that we perhaps aren't this summer. Or maybe I'm getting carried away with all the 'bed wetter' stuff.

More like Edinburgh is a far more appealing city than Aberdeen.

Played under Lennon before. Somewhat impressed by Hibs signings, feels like they have managed to get in players I would have liked to see at the Dons. Not sure what it is they are doing right that we perhaps aren't this summer. Or maybe I'm getting carried away with all the 'bed wetter' stuff.
I'd imagine there are four factors behind it:

1) Hibs have a wider scouting range, open to trying foreign signings
2) Hibs manager is pretty openly ambitious, more publicly openly ambitious than Del, perhaps wrongly, perhaps rightly. That must be attractive to some players more than other players
3) An actual training ground and a cracking, fresh stadium
4) Edinburgh being a nicer city with better links to elsewhere than Aberdeen.

Guest Bob Mahelp
32 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I'd imagine there are four factors behind it:

1) Hibs have a wider scouting range, open to trying foreign signings
2) Hibs manager is pretty openly ambitious, more publicly openly ambitious than Del, perhaps wrongly, perhaps rightly. That must be attractive to some players more than other players
3) An actual training ground and a cracking, fresh stadium
4) Edinburgh being a nicer city with better links to elsewhere than Aberdeen.

Number 1 is probably true, although I would also suggest that Lennon has a much more scattergun policy to signing than McInnes. 

Kamberi was a good signing, and Mallan has got the potential to be one. Other than that I'm struggling to name another player who Lennon has brought in that has really set the heather on fire. 

I would happily have any of Kamberi, MacLaren, Mallan and Hyndman at Aberdeen, to be fair. Hibs have recruited very well, despite losing McGeouch and McGinn (and Allan). Also, as poor as Celtic were yesterday, I thought Hearts looked decent.

I'm not totally panicking yet, mind. I might be come the end of the Scottish window, though, depending on our recruitment in the coming days and weeks. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I would happily have any of Kamberi, MacLaren, Mallan and Hyndman at Aberdeen, to be fair. Hibs have recruited very well, despite losing McGeouch and McGinn (and Allan). Also, as poor as Celtic were yesterday, I thought Hearts looked decent.

I'm not totally panicking yet, mind. I might be come the end of the Scottish window, though, depending on our recruitment in the coming days and weeks. 

As I said above I think we've the 5th strongest squad in the league as it stands. I'm trusting though that we'll strengthen over the next 19 days, so let's wait before making final judgement.

TBH, I'd be delighted if by the end of August we've made a couple of significant signings and are still in the league cup and within a few points off the top of the league. 

39 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As I said above I think we've the 5th strongest squad in the league as it stands. I'm trusting though that we'll strengthen over the next 19 days, so let's wait before making final judgement.

TBH, I'd be delighted if by the end of August we've made a couple of significant signings and are still in the league cup and within a few points off the top of the league. 

I think we had probably the 3rd or 4th best last season and they under delivered in the cups and over delivered in the league

I think this weekend represents a bit of a difference between Aberdeen and Hibs. Aberdeen played, by all accounts, fairly poorly yesterday but got a win (a sentence that could have been said multiple times last season). Hibs apparently played quite well but only got a point. I would say the squads are fairly even but Aberdeen have this tendency to win games these sorts of games.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

What utter nonsense. Hearts finished about 25 points behind us and Hibs have been weakened over the summer. Hibs have recruited well while Hearts is nothing short of scattergun. We’ll be fine and I’m trusting the next two recruits will be significant.

He had a medical yesterday, according to the Daily Mail. Pretty sure we were linked with him in a previous window; if so, no real surprise that McInnes has gone back in for a player he had previously missed out on. Granted, his goalscoring record isn't great, but he walks into the team ahead of Cosgrove and May at the moment. 

We desperately need a starting, scoring striker, so I just hope he can come up with the goods.