The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Main  will not be coming here to be the lone striker ,  It  will be to play alongside Cosgrove or possibly Wilson . 

If  Taylor done deal then its an improvement on the departing Reynolds.    not going to get any better quality to come  here and play back up.  state fans getting it 

superb..

All the  main  quality  signings will be for middle of the park and left back  if Lowe does not come back and i am happy with that,. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, d31 said:

if we are swapping Cosgrove for Main then its fine but if we are planning on having both then deary me

Weird statement.

Cosgrove has scored as many goals since December as Main has in the last 5 years.

Only Aberdeen fans could be talking about a 20 goal season striker being pish. Mental.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Only Aberdeen fans could be talking about a 20 goal season striker being pish. Mental.

Could probably find a quote of you calling May pish...

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Could probably find a quote of you calling May pish...

You might find a quote somewhere of me saying that he was playing pish, which is a different thing.

I don't think that Stevie May is, or ever has been, 'pish'.  He was excellent with St Johnstone, but hasn't hit the same form with Aberdeen unfortunately.....whether due to his serious injuries or simply the shape and formation that we play, or a combination of both.

He always puts in 100% though, and that has come to be appreciated by Dons fans. And we're a better team with Stevie May playing than we were with Greg Stewart. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Weird statement.

Cosgrove has scored as many goals since December as Main has in the last 5 years.

I kind of get it. Main + 750k in the bank to spend on a striker that can work better with the team may be better than Cosgrove. 

I wouldn't be punting Cosgrove for any old offer but I wouldn't say he was indispensable or irreplaceable. 

Away to Dundee summed up Cosgrove for me. No movement and poor build up play. The team had a lot of possession but didn’t do much with it and it showed his weaknesses. 

Then 2nd half the balls cur back and he taps it in, and along with a penalty we win 2-0 and everyone’s singing his name.

yeah he scored the 2 and is the hero, but I don’t think it’s enough to win trophies.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I kind of get it. Main + 750k in the bank to spend on a striker that can work better with the team may be better than Cosgrove. 

I wouldn't be punting Cosgrove for any old offer but I wouldn't say he was indispensable or irreplaceable. 

21 goals in 42 games is Rooney-esque. I wonder how many he would have scored with Hayes and McGinn firing over 60 crosses a game, like Rooney had for a couple of years ?

If he can knock in 18-20 goals again next season, we all may be looking at him differently. This a big year for Sam, can he prove that he can hack it ?

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, big al said:

Away to Dundee summed up Cosgrove for me. No movement and poor build up play. The team had a lot of possession but didn’t do much with it and it showed his weaknesses. 

Then 2nd half the balls cur back and he taps it in, and along with a penalty we win 2-0 and everyone’s singing his name.

yeah he scored the 2 and is the hero, but I don’t think it’s enough to win trophies.

So he scored 2 goals and it wasn't good enough ?

:lol:

Have you considered that it's maybe the other 9 outfield players in the team that stop us from winning trophies ?

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

So he scored 2 goals and it wasn't good enough ?

:lol:

Have you considered that it's maybe the other 9 outfield players in the team that stop us from winning trophies ?

Of course it’s a team game, but you must comprehend what I’m getting at.

37 minutes ago, big al said:

As someone who watched Tony Watt spend all season pinging passes about, beating folk at will, but missing from 3 yards out, I'd suggest to you that having a striker who simply scores goals isnt a bad thing.

I would say that we operate on different transfer levels though, so you're maybe able to get someone who can do both.

37 minutes ago, big al said:

Cosgrove, based on what I saw of him, looks like a “big game”  player. He has a presence about him.

Worth mentioning that the criticism you have levelled at Cosgrove is exactly what was aimed at Kris Boyd by Deadco fans even through the prime of his career. I know Boyd isn’t a favourite with your support but putting the ball in the net is the hardest thing to do. If Cosgrove returns 15+ every season who cares what the rest of his game is like.

21 goals in 42 games is Rooney-esque. I wonder how many he would have scored with Hayes and McGinn firing over 60 crosses a game, like Rooney had for a couple of years ?

If he can knock in 18-20 goals again next season, we all may be looking at him differently. This a big year for Sam, can he prove that he can hack it ?

Yeah absolutely, I get what you’re saying. As RandomGuy says though, we definitely could get someone who can do both.

Maybe it’s a change we can make with our style though. As was always the case with Stockley, because he’s a big lad, he tempts the other players to lump it long. Keep it on the deck, and have him as a poacher rather than a target man, and he could be less disruptive to our overall attacking play.

I think a lot of that is to do with our lack of creativity in midfield as well though, and if we fix that, we could well stop the hopeless long balls that we relied on so much this year.

Weird statement.

Cosgrove is a weird one.

There is no doubt he is absolute ***** and I want rid.

But on the other hand you can’t argue with his record.

Has he got lucky ?

Do his goals mask a lack of them from others ?

Will having Cosgrove in the team and the eye bleeding “entertainment” that comes with it contribute to attendances going down ?

Cosgrove is certainly a weird one. 

I wasn't surprised that the likes of Magennis or Jayden Stockley have had reasonable success elsewhere, as they clearly had something about them even if it didn't work out here. Even players who were useless, like Rory Fallon, had qualities that made you see why they had had decent careers.

With Cosgrove though, I just don't see it. Obviously I wouldn't give him away, but everytime I watch him I see someone who is just bad at football. I cannot believe that he's scored so many goals, and I'll be very surprised if he replicates in next season.

6 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Cosgrove is a weird one.

There is no doubt he is absolute ***** and I want rid.

But on the other hand you can’t argue with his record.

Has he got lucky ?

Do his goals mask a lack of them from others ?

Will having Cosgrove in the team and the eye bleeding “entertainment” that comes with it contribute to attendances going down ?

Harsh

Agree with Bob, Random and the Killie weirdo. 

He's a poacher, not a target man. 

He's on the pitch to get goals so should be judged on that. 

He is also a massive pain in the arse for opponents. I think the Boyd comparison is a good one, although Sam is slimmer and more handsome. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's a very interesting discussion.

It's easy to forget that despite his size and physical presence, Cosgrove is still only 22 and has effectively just finished his first full season of first team football.  It's already impressive that he obviously has the trust of McInnes to lead the line, and 22 goals is an excellent return in anybody's money. Pretty much every SPL team would kill for a 22 goal striker.

I think most of the criticism he gets comes from his height and the mistaken idea that he's just a big lump there to knock on long balls. He isn't by any means.....he has a really good first touch and is mobile for a big man. He has a good turn of pace and can hit a decent shot with both feet. 

He's still learning the game, and we can't expect miracles. A bit of experienced help for him up front would be nice, as would another winger to help set up chances. I think if we could get 12-15 goals from him next season, that would be brilliant. 

Cosgrove is certainly a weird one. 

I wasn't surprised that the likes of Magennis or Jayden Stockley have had reasonable success elsewhere, as they clearly had something about them even if it didn't work out here. Even players who were useless, like Rory Fallon, had qualities that made you see why they had had decent careers.

With Cosgrove though, I just don't see it. Obviously I wouldn't give him away, but everytime I watch him I see someone who is just bad at football. I cannot believe that he's scored so many goals, and I'll be very surprised if he replicates in next season.

Agree compleatly. Would besuprised if he reaches 10. flabergasted if he reaches 15.

Cosgrove isn’t Pele but as well as scoring goals, he’s also quicker and his hold up play is better than Rooney. Some of his goals are very good, his second at Hamilton as an example. He’s a good age and can only get better.

If he was a 22 year old local loon who’d come through the youth then he’d get far more leeway than he does now, because it wouldn’t undermine the “McInnes’ recruitment is stinking” narrative which is around at the moment.

He does need help though.