The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think there is quite a lot of doubt about it. He hasn't been a regular goalscorer anywhere in his career to date. 

Think majority can see he’s  got that bit quality .. aye he never showed it much as he would like . .. but he’s mentioned his fitness levels not being right till late in season.  i’ve seen enough to say he will score goals up here . . once again i’ve no doubt about that 😉

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Hahaha I should have kept my trap shut and then claimed it was Wilson all along!

Is the takeover at Hibs the potential reason why we may miss out on McGeough?

apparently he’ wants fight for his place at sunderland .. regards mcgeough .  i am happy this hasn’t happened .. .never been that impressed with him.. ryan jack aye that c**t far better player and it’s that role we have missed ..so hopefully we got alternative lined up . 

That’s where I’d see him being at his best. He’s got the pace to burst forward and support a striker, he’s got the technique to work against a tight defence, and he’s got no defensive discipline at all so he’ll not need to work back like if he played on the wing. It’s a gamble, but one worth taking IMO.

2 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

That’s where I’d see him being at his best. He’s got the pace to burst forward and support a striker, he’s got the technique to work against a tight defence, and he’s got no defensive discipline at all so he’ll not need to work back like if he played on the wing. It’s a gamble, but one worth taking IMO.

He could absolutely do that role, if he could learn some link up play around the box instead of shooting on sight every single time he'd be brilliant.

He could absolutely do that role, if he could learn some link up play around the box instead of shooting on sight every single time he'd be brilliant.

And that’s surely something McInnes can teach. The fact it would be a permanent deal may change his mentality a bit. He’s no longer looking to impress Solskjaer back at Man U, he’s playing for the Dons. Hopefully McInnes can improve him in that sense.

Having said that, can we think of a player McInnes has improved?

4 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

And that’s surely something McInnes can teach. The fact it would be a permanent deal may change his mentality a bit. He’s no longer looking to impress Solskjaer back at Man U, he’s playing for the Dons. Hopefully McInnes can improve him in that sense.

I would say mcinnes has improved plenty of players. McLean, Ferguson and Shinnie are 3 fairly major ones to begin with IMO

Cosgrove's best form last season came with May running around like a blue-arsed fly, but most of us accept that May isn't good enough. Wilson is a better footballer than May, but I didn't see much last season to suggest that he is the best fit as a partner for Cosgrove. Maybe he could play as more of a #10 in stretched games where he has more space to carry the ball, but I'm not so convinced against packed defences. 

I'm not completely opposed to him signing, though. I do agree with what others are saying about there being ability there. I'm just not entirely sure if or where he fits in at this juncture, similar to the concerns I had when Stewart re-signed. But I suppose that's not for me to decide.

Edited by DrewDon

10 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Quite a subjective question.

Pawlett, Hayes etc all contributed a lot more in the Mcinnes era than previously. Mckenna, Ferguson, Mclean, Christie and more have all grown as footballers under Mcinnes. Whether you attribute that to him directly is normally in the eye of the beholder.

5 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

I would say mcinnes has improved plenty of players. McLean, Ferguson and Shinnie are 3 fairly major ones to begin with IMO

add in mcginn hayes logan jack all improved  and became better players under mcinnies . so aye he’s improved heap players . and considine who went fae a bomb scare to solid spl defender . so he every chance he can improve wilson even more like  he’s done with cosgrove .  

27 minutes ago, d31 said:

Cosgrove/Wilson as a two didnt work. Maybe we can try Main/Wilson on the 6th, 11th or 18th

When did they play as a front 2? Dont recall in latter part of season when Wilson saying he was getting fitter.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Cosgrove's best form last season came with May running around like a blue-arsed fly, but most of us accept that May isn't good enough. Wilson is a better footballer than May, but I didn't see much last season to suggest that he is the best fit as a partner for Cosgrove. Maybe he could play as more of a #10 in stretched games where he has more space to carry the ball, but I'm not so convinced against packed defences. 

I'm not completely opposed to him signing, though. I do agree with what others are saying about there being ability there. I'm just not entirely sure if or where he fits in at this juncture, similar to the concerns I had when Stewart re-signed. But I suppose that's not for me to decide.

Different from stewart, who has no pace and needs movement around him to show his vision.

against packed defence it’s vital to have some pace as that creates the space, the fact you can run in behind at speed means defenders have to think differently how they defend and position.