The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

39 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Playing sub standard players regularly is worse for youth development than not giving them a chance imo. The youth policy that produced the Young brothers, Mackie, Phil McGuire etc was more productive than our current one in terms of first team regulars. It jusg meant we had a shite first team. 

I'd love a great youth development policy. 

I also like a good first team. 

Jimmy was all about the first team, but still found a place for the likes of maguire and paton. 

If he'd had any better players coming through, I'm sure he'd have used them

Jimmy, for all his faults (and there were many), managed to take a team that included Zander Diamond, Richard Foster, and Darren Mackie to the knockout rounds of the UEFA Cup....

Edit: And that year was one of the best I've had. Athens was a particular highlight. Syntagma Square underground was epic.

Edited by Illgresi

11 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Jimmy, for all his faults (and there were many), managed to take a team that included Zander Diamond, Richard Foster, and Darren Mackie to the knockout rounds of the UEFA Cup....

Edit: And that year was one of the best I've had. Athens was a particular highlight. Syntagma Square underground was epic.

In a much simpler route though. One qualifier, 4 group games and 3 out of 5 teams going through in the groups is way easier than anything in recent years.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

As delighted as I was for is to qualify, qualifying with one win and a draw was a joke. 

Yeah it was no surprise that format didn’t last long. Pretty lucky that we got two of the easier teams at home as well. Great results though they were.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 03/11/2019 at 14:13, Rodhull said:

In a much simpler route though. One qualifier, 4 group games and 3 out of 5 teams going through in the groups is way easier than anything in recent years.

That's true, but you can only beat (or get a point from) what's in front of you.

We knocked out a Dnipro side that had hammered Hibs the year before, played well in Madrid against a really strong Atletico side, and hammered Copenhagen who themselves had thrashed Celtic in the Champions League 12 months earlier. 

Then we drew with Bayern and could have beaten them if it wasn't for a dubious penalty. It all caught up with us in Munich, but given the players we had in these days it was a really remarkable European run. 

Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Jimmy's knack of fucking up big time in domestic cup games, he'd still be manager now (illness aside obviously). 

It would have spared us Mark fucking McGhee right enough. 

If Bryson could stay fit for a few games then I'd say we're probably through the worst of it and only Ojo being left still injured. He's due back for this weekend so we'll see how it goes. Can't see him recalling Virtanen unless things get worse again. Probably more chance of him trying to bring someone else in when the window comes.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

If Bryson could stay fit for a few games then I'd say we're probably through the worst of it and only Ojo being left still injured. He's due back for this weekend so we'll see how it goes. Can't see him recalling Virtanen unless things get worse again. Probably more chance of him trying to bring someone else in when the window comes.

Not totally right there bud. Scott Wright was getting a fair bit of game time before his injury and sure Gleeson would have played recently if not injured.

Ojo due back January I think.

8 minutes ago, big al said:

Not totally right there bud. Scott Wright was getting a fair bit of game time before his injury and sure Gleeson would have played recently if not injured.

Ojo due back January I think.

Wright’s never really played as a centre mid though. On the wing or very occasionally behind the striker but even that was used very sparingly. His injury wouldn’t affect Virtanen’s chances of getting a game at all. I also have doubts over Gleeson getting a game even if there were another 5 midfielders injured.

13 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Alright lads, what is Aberdeen’s injury situation at centre mid in terms of length?Miko Virtanen has been brilliant for us and is highly rated up at Pittodrie, was just wondering if there’s any chance you might nick him back in January. Cheers

I'm absolutely certain he won't be recalled. He was used more as a right back up here a lot of the time too.

Glad to hear he is doing well.

On 04/11/2019 at 19:28, Bob Mahelp said:

That's true, but you can only beat (or get a point from) what's in front of you.

We knocked out a Dnipro side that had hammered Hibs the year before, played well in Madrid against a really strong Atletico side, and hammered Copenhagen who themselves had thrashed Celtic in the Champions League 12 months earlier. 

Then we drew with Bayern and could have beaten them if it wasn't for a dubious penalty. It all caught up with us in Munich, but given the players we had in these days it was a really remarkable European run. 

Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Jimmy's knack of fucking up big time in domestic cup games, he'd still be manager now (illness aside obviously). 

It would have spared us Mark fucking McGhee right enough. 

Not a chance Bob. It was slowly unravelling. His record in the final few months of his last season was terrible and we were losing more first team players without having the funds to replace them. 

He'd be daft to take that job, IMO. Clubs an utter fucking mess and they'd be demanding he gets them up within the next season and a half.