The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

McInnes is not the main target of my 'raging' and I've been raging for a decade or more (with a brief respite between 2014 - 2017) and really I should have been raging for even longer but it takes time to see what's actually happening consistently, rather than a blip

You hold some strong views about the direction the club is taking/has taken. Fair enough, I’m sure there’s a lot of validity to it.

But stop dismissing those who remain supportive of the club as some sort of blind sheep (wahey) who can’t see reality.

47 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Dinna spik shite ye bubblin' mess

A Happy Clapper is the fan who toes the 'party line' without question, who says idiotic nonsense like "remember Mark McGhee" as if finishing 2nd in 2016 justifies McInnes keeping his job ad infinitum, who supports the move to Kingsford without asking why it has come to this, who buys into the revisionism of Wiggy's tenure...

Thanks for clarifying this and putting me in my place. Cheers min.

I am currently still in favour of McInnes staying. Possibly the nature of the work I do but I tend to view things in longer terms rather than trying to be reactionary to last few weeks. I guess it depends how you view football. If i was asked whether I think our league positions would be any better without McInnes I would likely say no. Do i agree its fair for fans to want more entertainment even if it means we possibly don't finish as regularly where we have been, yes. I think thats the balancing act you have to do. I agree the entertainment is dire and its all uninspiring. McInnes has been extremely efficient in his time in charge outwith the last couple of months which is a very small sample of his entire tenure. You only have to look at hearts to see how spending money on wages in our league doesnt equal success. Could you imagine our fanbase if we were in that position. 

I think our fans want something which is very hard to find, great results, entertaining football, not just coming 3rd/4th, beating the old firm to cups. That really is a very difficult thing to achieve. Thats not to say that sacking McInnes and taking a stab at that say 5 percent chance isn't worth doing but only if your willing to accept we could more easily regress than do that. 

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

I am currently still in favour of McInnes staying. Possibly the nature of the work I do but I tend to view things in longer terms rather than trying to be reactionary to last few weeks. I guess it depends how you view football. If i was asked whether I think our league positions would be any better without McInnes I would likely say no. Do i agree its fair for fans to want more entertainment even if it means we possibly don't finish as regularly where we have been, yes. I think thats the balancing act you have to do. I agree the entertainment is dire and its all uninspiring. McInnes has been extremely efficient in his time in charge outwith the last couple of months which is a very small sample of his entire tenure. You only have to look at hearts to see how spending money on wages in our league doesnt equal success. Could you imagine our fanbase if we were in that position. 

I think our fans want something which is very hard to find, great results, entertaining football, not just coming 3rd/4th, beating the old firm to cups. That really is a very difficult thing to achieve. Thats not to say that sacking McInnes and taking a stab at that say 5 percent chance isn't worth doing but only if your willing to accept we could more easily regress than do that. 

We have by far the third biggest budget in the league. We've spent £1m in fees if the informed guys on the radio are correct. It shouldn't be hard to create chances against the likes of St Mirren etc considering their budget.

We finished behind Kilmarnock last season. No idea why it only seems to be the past few months where he should be under scrutiny.

Fans are staying away in their droves. There was another initiative to improve crowds on Wednesday. £1 tickets for students. There was a good uptake. They were then subjected to something that could barely be described as football.

If we are that scared we can't do any better than Derek McInnes then we'd be as well pack in.

We have by far the third biggest budget in the league. We've spent £1m in fees if the informed guys on the radio are correct. It shouldn't be hard to create chances against the likes of St Mirren etc considering their budget.
We finished behind Kilmarnock last season. No idea why it only seems to be the past few months where he should be under scrutiny.
Fans are staying away in their droves. There was another initiative to improve crowds on Wednesday. £1 tickets for students. There was a good uptake. They were then subjected to something that could barely be described as football.
If we are that scared we can't do any better than Derek McInnes then we'd be as well pack in.

In terms of league finishes it would be very difficult to do better tbf. Punching your weight isn’t particularly exciting but it shouldn’t be underrated.

I concede the football on show we could clearly do better. But that was kind of his point. It can become more exciting but it could very well coincide with a drop in league performance.

My fear with derek is that he feels himself that it’s going stale and he’s running out of ideas but sticks around due to his significant contract. That would end very badly.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In terms of league finishes it would be very difficult to do better tbf. Punching your weight isn’t particularly exciting but it shouldn’t be underrated.

I concede the football on show we could clearly do better. But that was kind of his point. It can become more exciting but it could very well coincide with a drop in league performance.

My fear with derek is that he feels himself that it’s going stale and he’s running out of ideas but sticks around due to his significant contract. That would end very badly.

We're not punching our weight though. Punching our weight would be clear in third. He revitalised the club and was loyal when bigger clubs came calling. He was rewarded with a great new contract, allegedly the biggest budget any Aberdeen manager has had this millennium and a brand new training ground.

Good football and good results aren't mutually exclusive. At the moment and for a fair chunk of this season we've had neither. I know most hate it (and I don't agree with using it in isolation)but the xG showed a run like this was coming. As soon as Cosgrove stopped scoring we were going to struggle. In recent weeks two managers of bottom half teams have nonchalantly spoken about how easy it is to nullify this Aberdeen team. We've used the same tactics for years. It was eventually going to happen.

I think it's fairly obvious he's going to stick around due to the contract offered. That's not his fault though.

We're not punching our weight though. Punching our weight would be clear in third. He revitalised the club and was loyal when bigger clubs came calling. He was rewarded with a great new contract, allegedly the biggest budget any Aberdeen manager has had this millennium and a brand new training ground.
Good football and good results aren't mutually exclusive. At the moment and for a fair chunk of this season we've had neither. I know most hate it (and I don't agree with using it in isolation)but the xG showed a run like this was coming. As soon as Cosgrove stopped scoring we were going to struggle. In recent weeks two managers of bottom half teams have nonchalantly spoken about how easy it is to nullify this Aberdeen team. We've used the same tactics for years. It was eventually going to happen.
I think it's fairly obvious he's going to stick around due to the contract offered. That's not his fault though.

No one is debating that he’s underperforming. Of course he is. But if 4th is the worst league placing over a 7 year period then that’s a big thing to sacrifice. And I doubt, In terms of league position, the next manager will better that.

There’s a lot to be said for enjoying going to the football though so I am not in the slightest dismissing the style of football argument. We have been consistently brutal.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No one is debating that he’s underperforming. Of course he is. But if 4th is the worst league placing over a 7 year period then that’s a big thing to sacrifice. And I doubt, In terms of league position, the next manager will better that.

There’s a lot to be said for enjoying going to the football though so I am not in the slightest dismissing the style of football argument. We have been consistently brutal.

You thought I was condescending you the other week but I genuinely wasn't. The opinion you hold is how I felt a short while ago. Came in to this season positive as I had previously spoken with a work colleague about how McInnes has a fourth place finish in the bank after finishing second ahead of two *** teams in consecutive seasons. I've seen enough now though.

I'm not quite the slavering mess others are but I was genuinely astounded folk applauded him and the team off yesterday.

Haven't posted for awhile but what I witnessed in the red shed yesterday was horrendous.

The Red Shed is a great idea to create an atmosphere but yesterday it was toxic. Someone a few rows behind me on Saturday was shouting for McInnes to go after 5 mins into the game and few joined in as well.

I have never seen a support so divided on the Manager, there was those chanting for him to go and then those fans booing those chanting. I think there is also an age difference too as those wanting him out as most of the younger folks while most of those that grew up with success are willing to give him time to get it right.

I do hope that red shed will be set-up next season as Dumbarton game showed a positive when fans got behind team. Sadly yesterday game showed the negative side but we shouldn't see this as a failure and try it out for next season.

I do hope the fan can unite during the games and support the team as what I witnessed yesterday was horrible to see a support so divided.

McInnes taking the tie to a replay so I can go to the game really is a considerate thing to do. Good tie in the next round too, had plenty of wonderful moments in that big away stand at Fir Park in the cup in the last few years. Fingers crossed we can learn how to play football before the replay.

44 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

In recent weeks two managers of bottom half teams have nonchalantly spoken about how easy it is to nullify this Aberdeen team.

Which two managers said that ?   I wouldn’t disagree with anyone who did say that, but I’d be surprised if anyone actually put it as bluntly as that. Partly out of an unwritten code of conduct and respect amongst managers. But also because they would usually praise their own team (and , in effect, by implication , themselves) for their good performance rather than the opponents being poor.

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

Haven't posted for awhile but what I witnessed in the red shed yesterday was horrendous.

The Red Shed is a great idea to create an atmosphere but yesterday it was toxic. Someone a few rows behind me on Saturday was shouting for McInnes to go after 5 mins into the game and few joined in as well.

I have never seen a support so divided on the Manager, there was those chanting for him to go and then those fans booing those chanting. I think there is also an age difference too as those wanting him out as most of the younger folks while most of those that grew up with success are willing to give him time to get it right.

I do hope that red shed will be set-up next season as Dumbarton game showed a positive when fans got behind team but sadly yesterday game showed the negative side but we shouldn't see this as a failure and try it out for next season.

I do hope the fan can unite during the games and support the team as what I witnessed yesterday was horrible to see a support so divided.

I have a season ticket in the Merkland as I take a couple of young children with me. If we renew I'd be delighted for them to make the red shed a permanent thing. Hopefully they'd then.use the RDL as the family stand with some things for the kids in the concourse pre match.

It's unfortunate that the support is so split but that's where we are at.

I want him to turn it around but I just don't think he's up to it.

17 minutes ago, A96 said:

Which two managers said that ?   I wouldn’t disagree with anyone who did say that, but I’d be surprised if anyone actually put it as bluntly as that. Partly out of an unwritten code of conduct and respect amongst managers. But also because they would usually praise their own team (and , in effect, by implication , themselves) for their good performance rather than the opponents being poor.

Yeah that's what I've meant by nonchalant. Tommy Wright and Goodwin. Neither were critical of us, just praising their team. Wright listed the things you have to do to have a chance against Aberdeen and said he was proud of how well his players had managed it.

Grim listening for an Aberdeen fan.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah that's what I've meant by nonchalant. Tommy Wright and Goodwin. Neither were critical of us, just praising their team. Wright listed the things you have to do to have a chance against Aberdeen and said he was proud of how well his players had managed it.

Grim listening for an Aberdeen fan.

So if neither of them spoke about  how easy it is to nullify this Aberdeen team, why did you feel the need to make that bit up ?

8 minutes ago, A96 said:

So if neither of them spoke about  how easy it is to nullify this Aberdeen team, why did you feel the need to make that bit up ?

I've not made anything up. It's been mentioned several times on here since Wednesdays game. Force long balls from the defenders, double up on Cosgrove and condense the middle of the park so our wingers can't cut in hardly sounds like he's spent a week deliberating over tactics. Does it?

It's essentially what all the teams bar Rangers have done to us since the turn of the year.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've not made anything up. It's been mentioned several times on here since Wednesdays game. Force long balls from the defenders, double up on Cosgrove and condense the middle of the park so our wingers can't cut in hardly sounds like he's spent a week deliberating over tactics. Does it?

It's essentially what all the teams bar Rangers have done to us since the turn of the year.

Are you a translator for Sky Sports by any chance ?