The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is pretty much me. I think anyone would be daft to be happy with the current situation.

I'm not wedded to him at all, there's a whole host of factors to consider. Given there is no actual danger (i.e. relgation) to our situation my plan would be to see out the season and start considering:

- What's his plans for the team (obviously), both in personnel and tactically, we have no need to start a team from scratch over the summer so it's a chance to build on a decent core of a squad

- Does he actually want or believe that he can re-invigorate/re-invent himself with us? Does he feel a new challenge might suit him better?

- How concerned are the board about attendances? How permanent do they feel the malaise is, what would it take for fans to rally round Mcinnes or is it too late? Or is it just not possible to do so i.e. would it take a genuine title challenge, which won't happen.

- Do the board trust his recruitment, if not would they withhold funds, if so then for me the relationship is already broken

- It's an old trope but what is the actual availability of managers out there, I would hate for us to sack him with zero idea of where to go next

The above is just a few of the factors to consider, it really shouldn't be a binary Mcinnes out vs in argument.

I do wish he was treated with a bit more respect by a lot of our support though, whatever the decision.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Good categories 

I'm a 3 with 2 tendencies. Failure to beat Hamilton could convert me. 

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Yip I agree that. I'm in the camp of giving him more time to sort it out but I can't continue to watch terrible football for the last 2 years.

I hate to see the support so split at moment. Got a feeling the change of management looks likely at the end of season unless results continues to be terrible.

I want him to succeed but think he's past saving. Can't understand why some are so angry with him though. It's not as if he's trying not to win the games. He ha developed a real affection for the club and it will be sad when he goes, regardless if it's on the back of success or not.

My main worry is we limp to third and are then having the same discussion next winter.

On 03/02/2020 at 16:12, Sheep62 said:

Tommie Hoban dropping hints that he could be coming home

"Ready to start training somewhere in next couple of weeks"

Personally provided it is on a pay per play basis would welcome him back

What do the rest of you think about the prospect ?

It's happening

Tommie's coming home.

If he hadn't had so many injuries he'd be nowhere near Aberdeen tbh, but if he can get fit and stay fit he would be a big asset for us.

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

Last night is all I ask. Effort, movement, determination, passing with purpose rather than 40 passes in our own half then hoof.

Keep that up and I would be happy as a pig in shit.

I agree with that - but some of lot of it comes down to how the opposition play.

Unlike our previous away game at St Mirren, Hamilton showed an element of ambition to be on the front foot last night, which gave us space to play and we were good enough to exploit the spaces - with McGinn playing more central off Main working a treat.

Sunday will probably see us reverting to St Mirren's home tactics - and we'll either be tonked again without laying a glove, or lose narrowly without laying a glove.

Next Wednesday is a much more important game, and team selection on Sunday should be prioritised with that in mind.

McGinn has to be given a run of games centrally now, either behind Sammy or Curtis. He showed exactly what we were missing, and we’ve got cover out wide with Kennedy, McLennan, Gallagher and Hedges.

The three at the back also allows us to get Ojo, McGeouch and Ferguson into the team, but I’d be tempted to revert to a 4-4-1-1 as Devlin and Considine looked a little uncertain positionally as to their roles. McGeouch to drop out the midfield as he’s been the weakest of the three last couple games IMO.

10 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

McGinn has to be given a run of games centrally now, either behind Sammy or Curtis. He showed exactly what we were missing, and we’ve got cover out wide with Kennedy, McLennan, Gallagher and Hedges.

The three at the back also allows us to get Ojo, McGeouch and Ferguson into the team, but I’d be tempted to revert to a 4-4-1-1 as Devlin and Considine looked a little uncertain positionally as to their roles. McGeouch to drop out the midfield as he’s been the weakest of the three last couple games IMO.

Boyd had said now could be the time to move McGinn to the centre as that's what happens to a lot of wingers as they get older.

You could argue he should have always been there. Ridiculous in his first season playing off the striker.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Purely on Tuesday's performance, he deserves to keep his place in the team. He put in a great shift.

Cosgrove on the other hand took 15 minutes to take off the 3 sleeping bags he had on and looked super pissed that his comfy wee slumber on the bench was being interupted.

I'd imagine that Sam will be back in the side for Sunday, but Main's work rate and yes, skill, on Tuesday should see him in the side as well. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Purely on Tuesday's performance, he deserves to keep his place in the team. He put in a great shift.

Cosgrove on the other hand took 15 minutes to take off the 3 sleeping bags he had on and looked super pissed that his comfy wee slumber on the bench was being interupted.

I'd imagine that Sam will be back in the side for Sunday, but Main's work rate and yes, skill, on Tuesday should see him in the side as well. 

He absolutely should be wanting to play.

But the tone of that interview is not going to impress McInnes.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

He absolutely should be wanting to play.

But the tone of that interview is not going to impress McInnes.

Don't see why not. 

He sounds hungry and confident. He thinks he's done enough to keep his place and I reckon he's entitled to say so. 

McInnes strikes me as the sort o manager that will tolerate this sort of spouting. I doubt he would tolerate an actual huff in the event that Main is dropped. 

He has looked incredibly pissed off when he has been hooked in earlier games. We could do with more of his attitude throughout the team. 

He does need to score more though. 

I’ve no idea why Mikey Devlin wasn’t in the team or a sub yesterday, but as I was turning the corner from Merkland Road east into Merkland Lane at about 11.15 yesterday, he was going in the opposite direction in full AFC tracksuit and speaking on his mobile. No idea if there is something to be read into it or not. He may have been injured, but it didn’t look like it.

I’ve no idea why Mikey Devlin wasn’t in the team or a sub yesterday, but as I was turning the corner from Merkland Road east into Merkland Lane at about 11.15 yesterday, he was going in the opposite direction in full AFC tracksuit and speaking on his mobile. No idea if there is something to be read into it or not. He may have been injured, but it didn’t look like it.

^^^ shit stirrer

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

^^^ shit stirrer

Certainly not. I just thought it was strange that he would be heading away from the stadium fairly near to kick off after not being in the players stripped for the game. I hope that I’m adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.