Dundee United 2014/15 Season

If GMS's performances for the rest of the season are anything like he's played in the last three games then I can't see him getting abuse from anyone.

Can you see him performing like the last three games for the rest of the season now his future is all sorted? I'm sad to say that I can't. I think he'll perform like he has so far in January for a couple more matches and then he'll fade away again. He's going to get absolutely no slack from United fans at Tannadice. The second his performances start to slide then he's inevitably going to be showered with abuse.

Disappointed that he's going away to Celtic but if they were the best offer he had then who am I to begrudge him for taking it. It's all very easy to say turn it down and play out of your skin for the next 4 and a bit months then see what's available but it's not my career at stake and he still might not have ended up getting a better offer than Celtic's in the summer.

I'd probably be more bitter towards him had I not just changed my avatar on here to a photo of him after the derby and as I can't really be fucked to change it at the moment, I'd look a bit more foolish than normal if launched into a long resentful rant about a supposed betrayal by GMS now.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt the dimwits will think less of him but that's just the nature of dimwits.

I know you don't need supporting evidence, but when the club linked their statement on fb, this was one of the replies

Get rid of him now, he doesn't deserve to wear the United strip anymore.

This chap studied at the University of Life too.

Zaluska got a bit of flack when he signed for Celtic I think? I'm not a booer and as long as he maintains some kind of level of performance you just accept it and move on. We do need to make sure that if he isn't playing well that we have the replacements to come in and do a job instead (Anier signing is something that helps with that)

We got him for Free so cant complain about losing him for free its just the fact that its another club in Scotland that some folk will be upset about, knowing previous players making the same move he probably will come back to haunt United as he'll play out of his skin against us :(.

I wish him ARABEST and hope he doesnt stay there too long and earns a move to england at somepoint ;)

Disappointed that GMS has signed for that shower but as long as he continues to make an effort whilst at Utd he shall have my support. As has been mentioned the biggest worry is that he decides he cant be arsed trying and the support turns on him as while some players may try to prove a point I am not sure that GMS has the mental strength to take abuse from his own support and I think he would disappear into his shell.

I'll support him until he goes, that is, if he performs - if his form coincidentally dips again, well, we'll see.

One thing I was interested in, in the club statement:

The Club made several attempts to persuade the player to extend his contract, including an offer that would have made him one of the highest earners at Tannadice.

One of? Who would be getting a wage right now higher than what could be offered to hold onto a saleable asset in GMS?

Ciftci must be one of them, and I'd imagine Rankin's latest contract would have had him on a decent wedge.

If Rankin is on a bigger wedge than could be afforded to GMS I'd greet.

Not that I am blaming the club - he was never gonna stay, but intrigued by who is on the big bucks.

Armstrong must have jumped up to the higher end of the wage bill after signing that extension last year as well surely?

Dillon must be one of the highest earners given he was signed during Levein's time here and has since signed a couple of new contracts.

If Rankin is on a bigger wedge than could be afforded to GMS I'd greet.

Not that I am blaming the club - he was never gonna stay, but intrigued by who is on the big bucks.

Paton was rewarded with a brand new contract at the start of the season...

If I was JMac I'd be cutting his game time drastically, he's moved on and so should we, Connolly and Telfer should be used more often now, keep MacKay-Stevens for big games if he looks uninterested there's a place on the u20's bench for him. Gary has done well by the club to be fair, ST has tried his utmost to get a big fee for him and its never panned out, can't hold that against Gary.

So bets on how long before hes back or at Aberdeen? I'll give him 18 months.

Can we criticse GMS' blatant diving now....?

Not yet (February), not yet (March).......

If I was JMac I'd be cutting his game time drastically, he's moved on and so should we, Connolly and Telfer should be used more often now, keep MacKay-Stevens for big games if he looks uninterested there's a place on the u20's bench for him. Gary has done well by the club to be fair, ST has tried his utmost to get a big fee for him and its never panned out, can't hold that against Gary.

I think it would be totally wrong to drop him now. He's been outstanding in the last three games and must be given the chance to prove himself in this post pre-contract situation.

He'll sign for Celtic, see out his two-year contract and return to Dundee United a broken player after spending what would have been his prime years on the bench, making short cameos in their League Cup defeats to St. Mirren and Brora Rangers.

Why do people always assume that any Scottish player signing for celtic will automatically become a failure?

Fans have continually said we should reject any money as he's worth more to us in our team for the remainder. Now fans are saying we should bench him?!

If he plays well, he plays. At the end of the day, when he is on form, he is unstoppable in this league. he isn't denying Telfer a place in the team, and Connolly will still get plenty of chances.

I doubt he will succeed at Celtic, and will probably end up somewhere like Barnsley in a year or two.

Why do people always assume that any Scottish player signing for celtic will automatically become a failure?

History?

And it's not any player. But GMS has struggled to nail down a regular starting spot at United (which his talent demands), and Kris Commons and Leigh Grithiths can't get in the Celtic team.

Not yet (February), not yet (March).......

I think it would be totally wrong to drop him now. He's been outstanding in the last three games and must be given the chance to prove himself in this post pre-contract situation.

We'll just agree to disagree, it's not out of spite I'd drop him btw, just think we should now look forward. If however he plays, and plays well every week until the end of his contract I wouldn't have an issue, but I'm just going on what evidence I've had this season and I don't believe its a coincidence that he his attitude and performances have picked up since the window opened.

I suspect the allusion was rather that Celtic have a tendency to stockpile players which can have the effect of completely de-railing a player's career. Not every Scottish player who goes to Celtic will fail but many won't be given a decent crack of the whip and will go backwards as a result. That applies to non-Scottish players too, I imagine.

Archived