Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Souttar and Ciftci finally offered extensions.

http://dufc.co/news/united-make-enhanced-ciftci-and-souttar-offers/

Dundee United have offered contract extensions to top scorer Nadir Ciftci and rising star John Souttar.

Both players have a year remaining on existing contracts and the Club is keen to secure their service for the longer term.

23-year old Ciftci has scored 31 goals in 81 appearances for United attracting the interest of the Turkish U21 international team having played at international youth level previously. 18-year old Souttar is a product of the highly successful Dundee United youth academy system and is a current Scotland U19 internationalist and has played 51 time for the Club.

A Club spokesperson said, “Both players have proved their worth to the team and the Club as a whole and merit the extension offer. We believe that Dundee United remains the best club for both players to develop and as such have made enhanced longer term offers to the players that reflect their value to Dundee United.”

Hopefully good offers. Would be massive to get both on board, Souttar especially.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully good offers. Would be massive to get both on board, Souttar especially.

Seems a rather unusual step to announce that offers have been made rather than waiting to announce that the contracts have been agreed. I hope I'm reading too much into this but I fear this is the club setting up the next announcement along the lines of "we made the players very attractive offers but ...".

Strange to see a club announce something like this officially but it will be a season ticket baiting statement to appeal to the fans.

I thought that too. Either that or the club trying to show they're doing all they can to keep them, in case they do decide to leave this summer? After the last year or so, I wouldn't have thought the United fans would appreciate losing two more players they have high hopes for.

Seems a rather unusual step to announce that offers have been made rather than waiting to announce that the contracts have been agreed. I hope I'm reading too much into this but I fear this is the club setting up the next announcement along the lines of "we made the players very attractive offers but ...".

This... Could just be trying to quell the fan revolt going on at the moment though?

Interview with Dillon up on Arabzone, 30 minutes.

Crackin interview with Justin Johnson from last week, seems crushingly shy. Jackie very enthusiastic about his chances.

Seems like the initial response online seems to have gone from "Why hasn't he spoken?!?! His silence means he is a lying, cheating scumbag!!!", to "He has spoken but it is is too late and I still don't trust him, he is a lying, cheating scumbag!!!"

Thompson can't win at the moment.

It is mind-blowing that two of our best players (and assets) haven't been offered a new contract until they have only 12 months left on their deals!

It is mind-blowing that two of our best players (and assets) haven't been offered a new contract until they have only 12 months left on their deals!

Surprised Paton hasn't been offered an extension too

If Hibs manage to Hibs up the play-offs, I'd like to see us go for Fontaine. He seems pretty solid, and would be decent next to Mad Jarik.

Assuming the baldy snake doesn't offer all our shite players massive contract extensions and pawn the family silver to move to Australia, etc.

Spot on given the recent events.

Does anyone else think that's a but of vote of confidence about it though?

yep

whilst some of our fans seem to think ST and mcnamara are some joined at the hip axis of evil i have no doubt the board would get rid if they thought it was the right thing to do.

Seems like the initial response online seems to have gone from "Why hasn't he spoken?!?! His silence means he is a lying, cheating scumbag!!!", to "He has spoken but it is is too late and I still don't trust him, he is a lying, cheating scumbag!!!"

Thompson can't win at the moment.

Aye, just like the team.

Thompson has every right to pursue other business interests, but is he not a paid employee? How much annual leave has he taken to go travelling to Australia for weeks at a time?!

Nothing untoward here. The partners in my firm regularly take twice as much annual leave as we mere salaried staff. That's one of the perks of owning the business.

Aye, just like the team.

Here's our last 13 games.

08-03-2015 15:30 Celtic Tannadice D 1 - 1 Scottish Cup

15-03-2015 15:00 Celtic Hampden Park L 0 - 2 League Cup

18-03-2015 19:45 Celtic Celtic Park L 0 - 4 Scottish Cup

21-03-2015 15:00 Celtic Celtic Park L 0 - 3 SPFL

04-04-2015 15:00 Ross County Tannadice L 1 - 2 SPFL

08-04-2015 19:45 Dundee Dens Park Stadium L 1 - 3 SPFL

11-04-2015 15:00 Hamilton Accies Tannadice W 1 - 0 SPFL

18-04-2015 15:00 Aberdeen Pittodrie L 0 - 1 SPFL

26-04-2015 12:30 Celtic Tannadice L 0 - 3 SPFL

02-05-2015 15:00 Aberdeen Tannadice W 1 - 0 SPFL

05-05-2015 19:45 Inverness CT Caledonian Stadium L 1 - 2 SPFL

09-05-2015 15:00 St Johnstone McDiarmid Park D 1 - 1 SPFL

16-05-2015 15:00 Inverness CT Caledonian Stadium L 0 - 3 SPFL

• Four losses and a draw to Celtic - expected.
  • A tight loss to a Ross County on a hot streak - not unexpected.
  • Loss to Dundee at Dens - not unexpected given the recent run of Celtic games.
  • Tight win against Hamilton, near us in the league.
  • Tight loss away to Aberdeen, 2nd best team in the league - expected.
  • Tight win home against Aberdeen, 2nd best team in the league - unexpected.
  • Two losses in Inverness against the 3rd best side in the league - not unexpected.
  • Draw against St Johnstone, decent result considering Wright's ability to often outmanouver Jackie.

It's important to look at the relative quality of the opposition. With the additional context of losing GMS and Armstrong and the epic fallout that's continued to surround the club this day, it's not particularly surprising that there's been a general downturn in form and performances. We've also had to deal with fitting new players into the team (McGowan, Dixon, Muirhead, Onree), losing Dow, Bilate, Paton and Morris to on-off injuries, and the regular gifts from Rado.

Context. Perspective. As PMS said yesterday, one of the big challenges McNamara faces is learning from his recent experience and managing to sort out the organisation of the team (especially that backline) regardless of the personnel available, or swallowing his pride and bringing in an assistant coach who can.

Further amateur statistical analysis to come in the following days...

Archived