Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Well thought out but it does fail to take account of United obtaining 1 point out of 4 winnable games prior to playing Celtic.

I agree with the sentiment though. Things look bad for United but they will likely bounce back, maybe just not to the extent of meeting expectations in recent seasons. I think the "next Motherwell" talk is a bit premature.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thought out but it does fail to take account of United obtaining 1 point out of 4 winnable games prior to playing Celtic.

I agree with the sentiment though. Things look bad for United but they will likely bounce back, maybe just not to the extent of meeting expectations in recent seasons. I think the "next Motherwell" talk is a bit premature.

Indeed it does, an immediate post-GMS/Stretch collapse is somewhat forgivable so left out. The point was more looking at the form during and since the Celtic games once Jackie had a bit of time to adjust and bed in the new players.

Agreed on your 2nd sentence. I'm still really excited to see us develop tbh, especially if we can get Souttar and Ciftci signed up, Johnson, Coote, Smith and Fraser eased into the team, Connolly, Telfer and Muirhead given extended runs, Bilate if he ever achieves full fitness, and whoever else is signed during the close season.

The annual fans Derby was on last night at Dens with us coming out victors on pens after a 2-2 draw. Absolute scenes as the winning pen went in. There is pics on the Arabtrust facebook and twitter pages

Ps just hearing we are getting to parade the trophy at half time on Sunday :)

The annual fans Derby was on last night at Dens with us coming out victors on pens after a 2-2 draw. Absolute scenes as the winning pen went in. There is pics on the Arabtrust facebook and twitter pages

Ps just hearing we are getting to parade the trophy at half time on Sunday :)

In an ideal world, I'll be off the fags and fit for this next season, in a realistic world, I wont :lol:

Well done mate, cracking birthday present!

In an ideal world, I'll be off the fags and fit for this next season, in a realistic world, I wont :lol:

Well done mate, cracking birthday present!

Yep mate, the rendition of Happy Birthday by my teammates before picking up our trophy topped off a terrific birthday :)

Yep mate, the rendition of Happy Birthday by my teammates before picking up our trophy topped off a terrific birthday :)

Shit I forgot to wish you happy birthday yesterday mate!

Belated congratulations and best wishes ;)

Here's our last 13 games.

08-03-2015 15:30 Celtic Tannadice D 1 - 1 Scottish Cup

15-03-2015 15:00 Celtic Hampden Park L 0 - 2 League Cup

18-03-2015 19:45 Celtic Celtic Park L 0 - 4 Scottish Cup

21-03-2015 15:00 Celtic Celtic Park L 0 - 3 SPFL

04-04-2015 15:00 Ross County Tannadice L 1 - 2 SPFL

08-04-2015 19:45 Dundee Dens Park Stadium L 1 - 3 SPFL

11-04-2015 15:00 Hamilton Accies Tannadice W 1 - 0 SPFL

18-04-2015 15:00 Aberdeen Pittodrie L 0 - 1 SPFL

26-04-2015 12:30 Celtic Tannadice L 0 - 3 SPFL

02-05-2015 15:00 Aberdeen Tannadice W 1 - 0 SPFL

05-05-2015 19:45 Inverness CT Caledonian Stadium L 1 - 2 SPFL

09-05-2015 15:00 St Johnstone McDiarmid Park D 1 - 1 SPFL

16-05-2015 15:00 Inverness CT Caledonian Stadium L 0 - 3 SPFL

• Four losses and a draw to Celtic - expected.
  • A tight loss to a Ross County on a hot streak - not unexpected.
  • Loss to Dundee at Dens - not unexpected given the recent run of Celtic games.
  • Tight win against Hamilton, near us in the league.
  • Tight loss away to Aberdeen, 2nd best team in the league - expected.
  • Tight win home against Aberdeen, 2nd best team in the league - unexpected.
  • Two losses in Inverness against the 3rd best side in the league - not unexpected.
  • Draw against St Johnstone, decent result considering Wright's ability to often outmanouver Jackie.
It's important to look at the relative quality of the opposition. With the additional context of losing GMS and Armstrong and the epic fallout that's continued to surround the club this day, it's not particularly surprising that there's been a general downturn in form and performances. We've also had to deal with fitting new players into the team (McGowan, Dixon, Muirhead, Onree), losing Dow, Bilate, Paton and Morris to on-off injuries, and the regular gifts from Rado.

Context. Perspective. As PMS said yesterday, one of the big challenges McNamara faces is learning from his recent experience and managing to sort out the organisation of the team (especially that backline) regardless of the personnel available, or swallowing his pride and bringing in an assistant coach who can.

Further amateur statistical analysis to come in the following days...

So losing games to teams around you is fine. And losing games to teams worse than you is fine if they are on a good streak or if you have played a good team previously. Failing to beat worse teams with a better manager is also fine.

So losing games to teams around you is fine. And losing games to teams worse than you is fine if they are on a good streak or if you have played a good team previously. Failing to beat worse teams with a better manager is also fine.

Disappointing perhaps, but the answers are Yes, Yes and Yes.

The same as beating teams around you is fine, winning games to teams better than you if we're on a good streak or their on a complete downer after being ripped a new bumhole by a good team in four previous games is fine, beating a better team with a worse manager is also fine.

It's not fine but surely there's a qualitative difference between getting repeatedly bummed by Celtic and getting repeatedly bummed by St Mirren or Motherwell. At least our bummings have come against big strapping lads ... err

I wish I could share banana's optimistic perspective, but the fact remains that not only have the results been disappointing but over the course of the 17 or so games the performances have been mostly dreadful. Most reasonable fans will be patient if they can see a flicker of encouragement in a bad run but there's not been much to get excited about over the last few months (some decent displays lately from Robbie Muirhead a possible exception).

The performances have often been pish, no arguments there.

Anyway, some good news - Souttar Jnr named in the development league team of the season. Not bad for an 11-year old giant in a team finishing 10th.

Never thought i'd see the day when us arabs turned into a mix between Hartlepool United and Old Firm fans with our behaviour, attitude, feelings of self importance and entitlement, we are a regional club that survives on player sales and until someone deep pocketed comes along its just the way things are just smile and back the team could be worse we could be dees ;)

Relax just the small matter of the derby to get out the way then a summer to reflect and see what the club does to build bridges with the support and we go again hoping for a decent season and maybe a decent cup run or 2.

Goagsy Deuchars rules himself out of the Tannadice boardroom.

Deuchars backing of United runs to six figures but having seen the flak Thompson has taken from some quarters has no wish to increase his involvement from fan to owner.

“I wish the fans would give him some more credit for the things he’s done in the past.

“The criticism he’s taken is one thing that probably cements my thinking about not getting more involved.”

Who'd be a chairman, eh?

That last sentence in his quote is very telling. Fans can ruin things very easily, and the hysterics coming from a section of our support would put off people like Deuchars.

It really does astonish me the mob mentality from some of our fans against Thompson right now. People with very short memories, incredibly high expectations and (as mentioned by a couple of people here) a sense of entitlement.

That last sentence in his quote is very telling. Fans can ruin things very easily, and the hysterics coming from a section of our support would put off people like Deuchars.

It really does astonish me the mob mentality from some of our fans against Thompson right now. People with very short memories, incredibly high expectations and (as mentioned by a couple of people here) a sense of entitlement.

Archived