Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy for Dillon. Playing wise he is near the end, we all know that but he he does a hell of a lot for the club and is a versatile and long standing squad member. Call me sentimental but I don't mind someone who has given so much over so long signing a new deal and continuing his time at the club. Every squad needs players who have a connection with the club and who has a connection with the area. His family are settled here and he deserves this deal. Well done Dillo!

I look forward to reading all the comments from people who are saying "Good on Dillon, he's a lovely bloke" when he's in the first team next season, messing up week in and week out.

Just remember that by re-signing him, that's one less signing for next season who might possibly improve our squad.

I would imagine he has taken a hefty pay cut with the promise of a testimonial to be offered 2 years. I also seriously doubt he was in the top 5 earners before that.

I think that a combination of being the club captain and a guy whose starting wage was given out during the Craig Levein era (and would have incrementally risen from there) would mean he'd certainly be one of the top earners.

Im led to believe he restructured his contract in 2012 for the extension up to this May. He is on less now than he was when we won the cup.

I would have thought Rankin, Paton, Erskine, Dixon and Mcgowan all get more. Possibly Gardyne too.

Anyway its all guessing. I wouldn't mind keeping him on for one more year. 2 seems excessive.

I look forward to reading all the comments from people who are saying "Good on Dillon, he's a lovely bloke" when he's in the first team next season, messing up week in and week out.

Just remember that by re-signing him, that's one less signing for next season who might possibly improve our squad.

He won't be a regular if all the defenders are fit, so he won't be "messing up week in, week out".

Also if signing Dillon on a contract stops us from signing another Anier then I am all for it!

Dillon seems to be another easy target for people yet he is a solid, versatile Premiership defender when he is playing well. He has had a few poor games this season but so have the majority of the squad. Dillon on his day can still easily do a job in this league.

Newcastle Jets in admin and their chairman saying Dundee Utd are poised to buy them for $5 million

(Roughly a Robertson and GMS/Armstrong)

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-20/nathan-tinkler-puts-newcastle-jets-into-voluntary-administration/6482718

Mind that's really only £2.5 million ;)

Boys at 5s last night said they were hearing both Jackie Mac and Thomson will be gone close season

Although just rumours they've heard from people 'in the know'

Mind that's really only £2.5 million

Which is probably more than went back into the football club from those transfers... f**k it I think we can safely add Gaulds transfer in there as well on that basis :P

Newcastle Jets in admin and their chairman saying Dundee Utd are poised to buy them for $5 million

(Roughly a Robertson and GMS/Armstrong)

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-20/nathan-tinkler-puts-newcastle-jets-into-voluntary-administration/6482718

Shoddy reporting - Sir Thommo may well be poised to buy them, or it might just be the reporter dredging up old news.

If true, wonder if Cathy Thommo would take over of if new ownership is being prepped.

Shoddy reporting - Sir Thommo may well be poised to buy them, or it might just be the reporter dredging up old news.

If true, wonder if Cathy Thommo would take over of if new ownership is being prepped.

It may well be shoddy reporting but it states the chairman directly said Dundee Utd.

Like you I think it's more ET than the club that will be buying them. Couple this with the mooted takeover of recent weeks and it's all starting to add up.

He won't be a regular if all the defenders are fit, so he won't be "messing up week in, week out".

Also if signing Dillon on a contract stops us from signing another Anier then I am all for it!

Dillon seems to be another easy target for people yet he is a solid, versatile Premiership defender when he is playing well. He has had a few poor games this season but so have the majority of the squad. Dillon on his day can still easily do a job in this league.

The point is that he will be playing regularly if there are injuries/suspensions. That money could have gone on someone else/

And if your defence is that by keeping him on it's better than spending money on other people who might not be good then that's just daft.

The point is that he will be playing regularly if there are injuries/suspensions. That money could have gone on someone else/

Someone not as good?

Someone not as versatile?

Someone more expensive?

Someone without Sean's affinity for the club?

Kirk Broadfoot?

And if your defence is that by keeping him on it's better than spending money on other people who might not be good then that's just daft.

It's clearly not daft. Managers, you would assume, will always try to get the best player available for the money available. McNamara has chosen to spend some of that money keeping Dillon. Do you propose that he should instead have spent it on his second choice player? Now that's daft. Daftie.

Someone not as good?

Someone not as versatile?

Someone more expensive?

Someone without Sean's affinity for the club?

Kirk Broadfoot?

It's clearly not daft. Managers, you would assume, will always try to get the best player available for the money available. McNamara has chosen to spend some of that money keeping Dillon. Do you propose that he should instead have spent it on his second choice player? Now that's daft. Daftie.

His affinity for the club should have nothing to do with it.

There are people who are genuinely talking on social media about how Sean Dillon deserves a contract because he's a nice guy and/or because long service should be rewarded.

What you're suggesting there is that Sean Dillon is the best player McNamara could have found for the cash he's spending, and you must know that's likely not to be true.

There's all this talk about how versatile he is, but that's not true either. The only position he's really capable of playing is right back. Yes, he has played at centre back and left back, but when he does people have ready made excuses for how badly he did by saying he's not comfortable there.

We must all agree that the defence needs new blood in it, and yet the only one we can feasibly get rid of without paying people off is the guy who is deemed not good enough to start in it unless there's an emergency. And yet we keep him.

It's bad management from a bad manager.

By the way, if you do want a lazy suggestion for a player we could used instead of Dillon next season on less money who is just as effective and probably moreso, I could be facetious and say Keith Watson. And I wouldn't be wrong.

But he's not good enough either.

You would be wrong. Keith's knees are totally shot and would be a waste of a wage.

We'll get other new players in the summer but I think you're taking an overly simplistic view if you think the defence will be fixed by just signing players. The whole team and the defence in particular need to work on their organisation. That's the job of the manager and the coaching staff and is the real test this summer.

Archived