Neil Lennon gone / Next Celtic manager

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a shame this.

The danger is that Celtic might now employ someone because he can manage football teams, rather than because he's an Irish Catholic. Then they might stop comically going out of Cups, which would be a great pity.

On the upside, it'll be funny to see the poisonous little turd struggle, then sink without trace, when he tries to manage some club that doesn't enjoy obscene advantages over its peers.

Bit of a shame this.The danger is that Celtic might now employ someone because he can manage football teams, rather than because he's an Irish Catholic. Then they might stop comically going out of Cups, which would be a great pity. On the upside, it'll be funny to see the poisonous little turd struggle, then sink without trace, when he tries to manage some club that doesn't enjoy obscene advantages over its peers.
I generally hate posts that just say 'This' but, eh this
he will probably fail in england come back and manage hibs for 2 dreadfull years before getting a collumn in the sun/record
...and this.

Bit of a shame this.

The danger is that Celtic might now employ someone because he can manage football teams, rather than because he's an Irish Catholic. Then they might stop comically going out of Cups, which would be a great pity.

On the upside, it'll be funny to see the poisonous little turd struggle, then sink without trace, when he tries to manage some club that doesn't enjoy obscene advantages over its peers.

you seem to have missed the point of how cup tournaments go. Play badly for one game and its done, over. In 27 years at Man U Ferguson won just 5 FA Cups. Presumably Man U in those 27 years were also comical?

Usual ranting pish about someone at the end of the day is no more than a football manager for f**k sake and you never knew.

Bit of a shame this.

The danger is that Celtic might now employ someone because he can manage football teams, rather than because he's an Irish Catholic.

After 1 manager from the Irish Republic, 2 from NI, and 17 non Irish managers, it's obvious we always go down that road.

After 1 manager from the Irish Republic, 2 from NI, and 17 non Irish managers, it's obvious we always go down that road.

I never suggested that this was a well trodden road for the club, but I've little doubt that his background helped land him the job, and even less that it bought him an easy ride from the fans, despite his mediocre record and atrocious behaviour.

you seem to have missed the point of how cup tournaments go. Play badly for one game and its done, over. In 27 years at Man U Ferguson won just 5 FA Cups. Presumably Man U in those 27 years were also comical?

Usual ranting pish about someone at the end of the day is no more than a football manager for f**k sake and you never knew.

Really? Is that how Cups work? I'd no idea - thanks so much.

Celtic' s record in Cups since Rangers' downfall has indeed been dreadful and hilarious in equal measure. The parallel you attempt to draw with Man United displays nothing else quite so much, as your vaulting ignorance.

The difference with Man Utd though is that they fielded weakened teams as they didn't give a monkeys about the cups and they kept their best players for league games where they had real competition. With Lennon's budget compared to the rest of the league he should have skooshed the cups.

Celtic can also say they didn't/don't care about the cups but even a slightly weakened Celtic team should pish all over the likes of MorTen.

Edited for spelling MorTen wrong.

Disappointed MT.

I genuinely thought you were above this sort of thing.

I'm not above such things at all. Do you honestly believe Lennon's background played no part in his landing a job so huge, as an untried rookie?

I'd thought you were above such delusion.

I don't remember Man United's budget over those 27 years being larger than that of every other team in the English top flight, bar one, combined. Every single year. That's leaving out that even at their best United were never in a situation of having actually been crowned league champions before a ball had been kicked, thus freeing the manager up to worry about the supposedly less prestigious knockout events.

I never suggested that this was a well trodden road for the club, but I've little doubt that his background helped land him the job, and even less that it bought him an easy ride from the fans, despite his mediocre record and atrocious behaviour.

You seem to forget he was also a coach at the club before becoming Celtic manager

You know how dependent we are on European football, you really think the club would take a gamble on someone just because he's Irish? Especially considering we have to rebuilt the squad after the disaster non Irishman Tony Mowbray left behind.

It's never amazes me how much common sense people lose when discussing Lennon. Most will say almost anything to either play down his achievement. The sheer fact they they somehow cling on to hope that because the man doesn't win a treble every year is somehow seen as a failure and makes him a bad manager without looking at the overall bigger picture from where we had been to where he took us.

The fact that he was not only an Irish Catholic but a persecuted Northern Irish Catholic gave Lennon the highest bigot manager Top Trumps score in the history of football.

Commiserations to the replacement if he has the brass neck to be non 'Celtic-minded', like the vastly superior Gordon Strachan.

You seem to forget he was also a coach at the club before becoming Celtic manager

You know how dependent we are on European football, you really think the club would take a gamble on someone just because he's Irish? Especially considering we have to rebuilt the squad after the disaster non Irishman Tony Mowbray left behind.

It's never amazes me how much common sense people lose when discussing Lennon. Most will say almost anything to either play down his achievement. The sheer fact they they somehow cling on to hope that because the man doesn't win a treble every year is somehow seen as a failure and makes him a bad manager without looking at the overall bigger picture from where we had been to where he took us.

Losing at home to the worst Morton side in a generation makes him, unquestionably, a failure.

Archived