On 14/12/2018 at 21:30, Snafu said:

Don't know much about etiquette in pubs but have bought a drink on a couple of occasions for accidents where the accidentee has lost most of his pint.

Seen a view 'interesting' habits though. Sitting in the former watering hole and fight club known as the Moray Bar on Academy Street Inverness a good 20 years ago my best friend and I observed an old boy sitting by himself getting up of his chair or rather heard him get up of his chair to pay a visit to the cludgie where upon he made a loud noise in his throat making sure most of the bar heard him and then snorted the contents of his nose before leaning over and spitting a huge lump of yellow gunk in his pint. We couldn't believe what we just saw, neither did most of the clientele also watching. But once he had vanished into the depths of one of the worst toilets in the highlands two lads heading out the door spat in his pint before disappearing into the night. The old fellow rejoined his pint after a few minutes and had a good look at it to see if anyone had taken a sly sip then suddenly looked confused as to what was floating on the top of his his amber nectar. Certainly he knew the exact amount of gob he had landed on the pint and after about 20 seconds of staring at it he looked around suspiciously to see who had been messing with his pint, of course no one looked him in the eye. My friend and I decided then that it was time to drink up and leave as we had the idea that the harmonious atmosphere was about to take a turn and we didn't want to be involved.

Inverness, city of culture 2020.

Ah the Moray Bar.  What a place.  Now some cocktail joint called Bar One for those who know Inverness.

Edit - 86.jpg

Godspeed old boy.

Edited by TheScarf

Working in Dublin has ruined me. Back home I'm genuinely quite polite and courteous and will happily point the barstaff in the direction of someone who was genuinely there before me.

Dublin? f**k that. Most bars are full of screaming Americans that take an absolute age to order their obligatory pints of Guinness and even longer to painstakingly count out the change for it. Survival of the fittest as far as I'm concerned. Pushing past the Wetherspoons/post office style queues at the bar is a regular occurrence.

Ah the Moray Bar.  What a place.  Now some cocktail joint called Bar One for those who know Inverness.
Edit - 86.jpg&key=1e92d08c3c470fe983133d6f7ecf995e74c5e3506de658ce353d62b6d67bd910
Godspeed old boy.
Pretty sure all of the bad practices mentioned in this thread (no rounds, last minute cocktails, finger-snappers) are now allowed to exist peacefully thanks to places like Bar One. Hate it.

• 2 months later...

A question about round etiquette. Four guys in a pub, each one buys his round in turn, no problem, so it's back to the first guy again. However he doesn't want any more to drink so tells the other three to just carry on amongst themselves as he's leaving. He gets slagged off and told that it's his round again. Is he being a c**t for leaving when it's his round (even though he bought one at the start so everybody is equal) or are the rest of them for insisting he buys before he goes?

Just now, GordonD said:

A question about round etiquette. Four guys in a pub, each one buys his round in turn, no problem, so it's back to the first guy again. However he doesn't want any more to drink so tells the other three to just carry on amongst themselves as he's leaving. He gets slagged off and told that it's his round again. Is he being a c**t for leaving when it's his round (even though he bought one at the start so everybody is equal) or are the rest of them for insisting he buys before he goes?

Rest of them are c***s.

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Rest of them are c***s.

That's what I thought. It happened to me - I was the guy who was leaving and I just couldn't see where they were coming from in insisting I got another round in before I went. Thought I was missing some obscure unwritten rule but I still didn't buy another round.

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Almost always just say you're leaving and f**k off with a clear conscience.  You bought your round.

If there's a business/work/formal element to it then buy 4 drams and get a receipt to put on expenses.

11 minutes ago, GordonD said:

That's what I thought. It happened to me - I was the guy who was leaving and I just couldn't see where they were coming from in insisting I got another round in before I went. Thought I was missing some obscure unwritten rule but I still didn't buy another round.

They are the c***s. You are even

However, people who insist on getting their drink back are utter fucking scruffs too. Sometimes you leave the pub a pint or two up, sometimes down. it all evens itself out over the season

49 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

However, people who insist on getting their drink back are utter fucking scruffs too. Sometimes you leave the pub a pint or two up, sometimes down. it all evens itself out over the season

Is the correct way.

You are leaving in a state of perfect balance. Each person has bought and consumed 4 drinks.

A person who would be a c**t in that scenario would be the guy at #3 who accepts the next two knowing that he would leave after them and not get his round in.

It does even out over the season but there are steps of decency you can take. In the above scenario, if I wanted one more for example and I wasnt on round 1, I would insist on buying round 1 because I wouldnt be staying for the rest. It would leave me temporarily in the red for pints, but it would be remembered and appreciated.

Fucking hell I really want to go to the pub now

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You are leaving in a state of perfect balance. Each person has bought and consumed 4 drinks.

A person who would be a c**t in that scenario would be the guy at #3 who accepts the next two knowing that he would leave after them and not get his round in.

It does even out over the season but there are steps of decency you can take. In the above scenario, if I wanted one more for example and I wasnt on round 1, I would insist on buying round 1 because I wouldnt be staying for the rest. It would leave me temporarily in the red for pints, but it would be remembered and appreciated.

Fucking hell I really want to go to the pub now

Decent post except for the "#3". Or just the"#", actually. 

Just now, Bold Rover said:

Decent post except for the "#3". Or just the"#", actually. 

Couldnt fucked typing number. #, before twitter stole it, meant number. 

You have just made me type number multiple times despite me initially being hesitant to do so. Time I will never get back. 

Hope you are happy. 

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

Yep you've all bought a round so the guy not wanting to continue in it is fair game.  The normal time to leave a round is when its back to the start/first person who bought.

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

This.

If your bothered if your up or down on rounds then you probably drinking with people you are not friendly enough with to be doing rounds anyway.

Wait, do folk actually start a night out with 'Right Davie, you need to buy the first 2 rounds cos you left before getting your last one in 6 weeks ago'.

Actually, if Davie has a habit of doing it, then fair play on insisting he gets the first couple in.

Everybody has said exactly what I thought - that I could leave with a clear conscience as everybody was on level terms. It seemed so obvious that that was the answer but the other three (well, two of them) seemed so insistent that as I said I thought it was some obscure rule I wasn't aware of.

I would add that this wasn't a recent happening, nor has it been playing on my mind for years, but I have just discovered this topic and after reading the first page or so it reminded me.

With regard to ending the night a pint up/down, there was a guy who used to go to Meadowbank games - no names, but he was interested in buses so OFTW anyway - who bought somebody a pint just before closing time. During the week he bumped into the guy in the street and mentioned the outstanding pint. "I'm not going to the pub just now," said the other guy. "I'll get you one back on Saturday!" The response? "Could you just give me the money now?"

rounds are fine as long as everyones trustworthy but im sure we've all been out in a group and theres some types there who are basically on the scrounge with no intention whatsoever of getting their drink in.i don't tally up totals but ive no intention of being made a c**t of either

I used to work with a guy (a total arsepiece btw)... we used to go for drinks after work - say about 6 of us. He was drinking vodka and cokes while the rest of us were on pints, so invariably he'd be finished long before us. After about 3 rounds he was obviously a bit fed up at waiting 10 minutes to get his next drink so he'd offer to get the drinks in. But instead of just getting the round in, he would ask each of the people who'd already bought him a drink what they were having, and steadfastly ignore anyone who was yet to get their round in. 

This put everyone out of sync round-wise ... and of course, the guys who had yet to get their round in - not being wankers - would buy a round for everyone - and vodka+cokeguy would happily jump on board. At which point he'd leave. So on the surface, everyone had bought one round of drinks - but the sneaky fucker had managed to save a few quid by only buying 2/3rds of a round. Not the worst behaviour on the Jimmy Savile scale - but it still rankles me to this day.