It's normal in the States to tip up to around 20%.

Believe me I know. Mrs. Pogen is a Yankee. It causes us no end of bother in restaurants. :rolleyes:

tbh the service in the states it a cut above the drippy aresholes wating/serving here.

Went to a place in London a few weeks back that included a 17% tip in the bill, no option to decline.

Found that annoying. Would probably have left a tip anyway (though 10% because I'm Aberdonian), but having the option taken away from me I found frustrating.

From my experience of working in a kitchen for a couple of years, 3-5 nights a week (usually when it was mobbed), Romeo is posting shite.

I'll tip in restaurants and occasionally when I get my hair cut (similarly to Fudge, it's the only place that does a decent job of giving me a good hair cut) but the "quality" of my tip depends on the quality of service/food. Buying someone a pint because they've poured me a pint isn't worthwhile, I wouldn't buy the staff in McDonald's a milkshake because they served me a Big Mac.

It is a bit strange isn't it - what if the barman doesn't drink or like beer? How would it work with other exchanges where tipping is common? Rather than give cash should I offer my taxi driver a lift home? Maybe I could offer to dress up in a Nazi uniform and choke the Filipino rent boy, er, my mate hired last weekend.

It's not a case of should, you don't have to tip anyone.

Some people tip for good service others are just miserable c***s.

I wouldn't tip a taxi driver, as i wouldn't a train driver, providing good service is the minimum you should expect. If they don't something to help me that was above and beyond then yeah I wouldn't have a problem slipping the taxi driver a few extra quid

tbh the service in the states it a cut above the drippy aresholes wating/serving here.

Dunno, I've always found what passes for good service in the States feels a bit creepy and obsequious to people brought up on this side of the pond, with the waiter interrupting the meal every couple of minutes.

Coming over once, maybe twice during the meal to ask if everything's okay is good service, but intruding every few bites-worth gets old pretty quickly. If the employers paid them a proper living wage and didn't leave them chasing tips it'd probably be better for all concerned.

They can be chancers as far as tipping goes as well - once handed over $50 in a boozer for two beers worth about $7 - no change forthcoming. When I chinned the guy he claimed he thought I was leaving a $43 tip - needless to say I got the change and he got f**k all for his cheek - some of them rely on people being too embarrassed to ask.

Dunno, I've always found what passes for good service in the States feels a bit creepy and obsequious to people brought up on this side of the pond, with the waiter interrupting the meal every couple of minutes.

Coming over once, maybe twice during the meal to ask if everything's okay is good service, but intruding every few bites-worth gets old pretty quickly. If the employers paid them a proper living wage and didn't leave them chasing tips it'd probably be better for all concerned.

They can be chancers as far as tipping goes as well - once handed over $50 in a boozer for two beers worth about $7 - no change forthcoming. When I chinned the guy he claimed he thought I was leaving a $43 tip - needless to say I got the change and he got f**k all for his cheek - some of them rely on people being too embarrassed to ask.

<_<

A mate once said "I don't need a pint so just get me 10 fags". I honestly didn't know whether that was acceptable or not. I was offering to spend money on him for drink so why not for his fags (that was in the days when the prices were equivalent) but it just wasn't in the spirit of things. I honestly can't remember if I got them but the shock of the request has stuck with me.

Was he justified in asking for them? Surely not?

Tipping is fairly common practice tbf. I wouldn't say you're a c**t for not doing it but I certainly wouldn't say that you're idiotic for tipping someone, even if they are just simply doing their job.

I even get tips (money tips, for all you cheeky b*****ds) at the bookies, would you all say that's ridiculous?

Edited by smpar

A mate once said "I don't need a pint so just get me 10 fags". I honestly didn't know whether that was acceptable or not. I was offering to spend money on him for drink so why not for his fags (that was in the days when the prices were equivalent) but it just wasn't in the spirit of things. I honestly can't remember if I got them but the shock of the request has stuck with me.

In all honesty you should have bought him a pint and rammed it in his throat. Cheeky c**t.

No way :lol:

He was being fly as f**k, he could have said I don't need a pint, but get me a power card :lol: