• Created
  • Last Reply

Coefficient points for 14/15 so far:

Spain 9.500

England 9.00

Germany 8.714

Italy 9.166

Just gonna leave that there.

As far as I'm aware if things continue the way they have done so far this season Italy will probably take back the 4th CL spot in 2/3 years.

Serie A is doing really well at the minute because of the success of Italian teams in the Europa League.

I wonder just how furious that would make HB.

As far as I'm aware if things continue the way they have done so far this season Italy will probably take back the 4th CL spot in 2/3 years.

Serie A is doing really well at the minute because of the success of Italian teams in the Europa League.

I wonder just how furious that would make HB.

:blink:

The Europa League :lol:

Italy is doing absolutely disasterously in the top European competition. Another terrible Champions League effort, with 3 entrants and one barely scraping into the last 16. In what way will Italy regain a 4th CL spot?

Scabbing a few Europa League points has at least given them a little breathing space over Portugal, so I suppose that is success of sorts. Compared to the big 3 leagues though, they are a total irrelevance.

Their only chance of getting a 4th CL place is if UEFA change the rules.

It does actually highlight a problem. A bit like Scotland have found when trying to qualify for a major tournament.

Italy are in such a bad place, that it's really difficult to see how things can get better for them. Once you drop from the top tier, to the lower ranks, it's going to need something exceptional to change that downward trend.

Every season now, the third Italian club is going to have to qualify, with a very good chance of drawing a better side, as has happened in 2 of the last 3 seasons, with Braga disposing of Udinese and Bilbao brushing aside Napoli.

So the odds are on only 2 entrants, neither of which is going to be a top seed, so are in a dogfight for 2nd. Even if they do scrape through an entrant to the knockout stages, they will just be taken apart by a top side.

It would take extraordinary levels of investment in Italian football to even make it semi-competitive in the Champions League. And that's not likely to be forthcoming.

It does actually highlight a problem. A bit like Scotland have found when trying to qualify for a major tournament.

Italy are in such a bad place, that it's really difficult to see how things can get better for them. Once you drop from the top tier, to the lower ranks, it's going to need something exceptional to change that downward trend.

Every season now, the third Italian club is going to have to qualify, with a very good chance of drawing a better side, as has happened in 2 of the last 3 seasons, with Braga disposing of Udinese and Bilbao brushing aside Napoli.

So the odds are on only 2 entrants, neither of which is going to be a top seed, so are in a dogfight for 2nd. Even if they do scrape through an entrant to the knockout stages, they will just be taken apart by a top side.

It would take extraordinary levels of investment in Italian football to even make it semi-competitive in the Champions League. And that's not likely to be forthcoming.

They'll have a top seed from next season onwards, because the seeding system is changing to have the holders plus the champions of the top 7 leagues in Pot 1.

The only tie that looks like it could go either way is Juve vs Dortmund. I reckon Chelsea, Barca, Atletico, Real Madrid, Bayern, Arsenal and Porto should be going through. Doesnt always happen like that right enough!

Not sure why, but I'm a bit meh about the draw. There isn't really one of those "big" games that jumps out for me.

My picks below. They all seem pretty foregone - City/Barcelona could be a difficult one, but if Barcelona turn up in any shape or form, they're very likely to go through unless City are absolutely on it. Chelsea will very professionally get through. Both Madrid sides to win comfortably. Dortmund/Juve...went for Dortmund, but that's another that could go either way. Munich obviously to go through, as well as Arsenal - at least you'd hope they would. They've finally got a draw where they don't face a huge side, so if they don't get through it, they have no excuses. I went for Basel in the final game because it'd be nice to see them do it, but Porto are favourites.

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea

Manchester City v Barcelona

Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid

Juventus v Borussia Dortmund

Schalke v Real Madrid

Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich

Arsenal v Monaco

Basel v Porto

They'll have a top seed from next season onwards, because the seeding system is changing to have the holders plus the champions of the top 7 leagues in Pot 1.

I think that's fair enough to be honest. I think the champions should be prioritised.

Arsenal got a good bit of luck here. Probably the draw they were hoping for. Arsenal have paid badly in the past for failing to get top spot. I may be corrected on this but I'm sure the one year they actually did get top spot, they were drawn against Barcelona anyway and lost again.

Some really good ties in there but I think I'll go for:

Schalke v Real Madrid

Arsenal v Monaco

Basel v Porto

Pretty meh draw to be honest.

Same as LA Ger for me...

Schalke v Real Madrid

Arsenal v Monaco

Basel v Porto

This is why seeding makes the competition boring. The group stage generally gets rid of the pot 3 and 4 teams. This round generally gets rid of the pot 2 teams. The pot 1 teams rarely face each other before the quarter final and it's the same old sides at the same stages each year.

Archived