Gay Cakes - Should They Be Allowed?

Surely they're just refusing to produce the product on discriminatory grounds with regards to the people who the product is eventually for? I think Enrico seems to be totally focussed solely on the people collecting / paying for it and overlooking that.

As I tried to get to earlier, you really can't have a society where nobody will make you a Yes! cake for a voter's rally if all the local bakers are solid Better Together supporters. That's equally down to the baker's 'beliefs'. It also doesn't matter whether there's one or a hundred bakers in the town - they're all registered services for the public and should work to the same standards as they do when it comes to food standards etc.

Want to get picky about which perfectly legal cakes you make? Stick to baking as a hobby or for your kid's birthday imo.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if they refuse to make cakes with Bobby Sands or King Billy on them.

That would also be against their beliefs presumably as the bible says you are not allowed to create idols and worship them. Other sins would be letting women speak in church, shaving, having a tattoo and many other things.

I was raised with christianty but lost faith in it years ago. It must be wonderful for people to pick one part out the bible to attempt to validate their point of view instead of concentrating on the most important person. I feel the quote below applies in certain cases.

"Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians - you are not like him."

Mahatma Gandhi

Equal rights for gay cakes! Couldn't they have ordered the cake from a gay bakers? If there's a sky fairy bakers, there must be a gay bakers. Surely this is just spoiling for a fight - gay prides v sky fairy believers.

Wonder if they refuse to make cakes with Bobby Sands...

Think you would be on safe ground refusing to make a cake that arguably glorifies terrorism. Beyond that not sure that would be how Republicans would choose to commemorate one of their hunger strikers. Can remember being told back in 1981 that the UDA sent him a birthday cake, but suspect it may be an urban legend.

Equal rights for gay cakes! Couldn't they have ordered the cake from a gay bakers? If there's a sky fairy bakers, there must be a gay bakers. Surely this is just spoiling for a fight - gay prides v sky fairy believers.

Fairy cake bakers ?

I've been refused entry to a pub because I was wearing jeans so obviously businesses can apply arbitrary rules to what they will accept and not accept. At what point does discrimination legislation trump this? Taking it to extremes, if I turned up to that same pub in a dress (I'm male) and was refused entry because of what I'm wearing presumably I would have recourse to the law but not if I was wearing jeans.

Serious point dressed up in silly clothes.

I've been refused entry to a pub because I was wearing jeans so obviously businesses can apply arbitrary rules to what they will accept and not accept. At what point does discrimination legislation trump this? Taking it to extremes, if I turned up to that same pub in a dress (I'm male) and was refused entry because of what I'm wearing presumably I would have recourse to the law but not if I was wearing jeans.

Serious point dressed up in silly clothes.

If you were being refused entry because of sexual discrimination you would have recourse to the law.

I can't see why people find the point so hard to understand. Whether people agree with it or not is one issue, whether or not it's a legal matter is a separate issue. I'm sure there will be occasions when the courts will be asked to interoperate and enforce the legislation, but the legislation is clear and the reason for the legislation has been a matter of public debate for many years.

If you were being refused entry because of sexual discrimination you would have recourse to the law.

I can't see why people find the point so hard to understand. Whether people agree with it or not is one issue, whether or not it's a legal matter is a separate issue. I'm sure there will be occasions when the courts will be asked to interoperate and enforce the legislation, but the legislation is clear and the reason for the legislation has been a matter of public debate for many years.

Must all be 'thick as shit', that's probably it.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or spoiling for an argument.

You seem dead set on a fight about this but I'm not the enemy.

Must all be 'thick as shit', that's probably it.

Mmmm...

It's interesting and a big can of worms. I think that's the point Enrico and others were trying to explore earlier.

Although, the business owner in question does sound like a homophobic halfwit.

At what point can you legitimately refuse a transaction without fear of legal action being taken against you or your business? The answer would obviously be, that you've based your refusal purely on non-discriminative reasons.

I've heard of several Pride events turned down for sponsorship deals from local/large companies/organisations, on what looks like guardedly protecting their brand name from being associated with these events. Obviously they won't freely admit to all the reasons behind their decisions. One can only assume business marketing exec's are fully aware of this minefield and are armed to the teeth with every tedious disclaimer known to man should the situation require.

Archived