Best Player Ever

Ludo*1

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand the recent denigration of Pele as a footballer. Fair enough he's an absolute twat of a man but he was, and to some still is, the best player on the planet. Pele played in 4 World cups and won 3. He was kicked out of two of them 62 and 66. After he retired it took Brazil 24 years to win their fourth. Zagalo who played alongside Pele in their victory in 1958,and managed him in 1970, is in no doubt that Pele is head and shoulders above Maradona. Archie MacPherson believes Maradona is the better player because Argentina couldn't have won the World Cup without him, but Brazil could have without Pele. Weird that a player should be marked down for playing in a better team. There is probably an element of truth in what Archie says, Argentina with Maradona were a one man team, whereas Pele's Brazil was full of stars. Pele though was the biggest star.

There wasn't a doubt in anyones mind who the greatest player ever was until Maradona came along.

To knock Pele's acheivements by saying he was playing in a pub league, as some on here have said, is ridiculous. That same league provided the World Cup winners three times between 1958 and 1970.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually questioning the obsession some people have with this. Does it fucking matter? People seem to really get offended by the suggestion that anyone other than their own favourite is the best. I certainly don't know who the best is. I don't particularly care who the best is. It does amuse me to see idiots parade about on the verge of a breakdown because people suggest one guy or the other is the best. And then you get those who blindly defend their favourites as well and make daft as f**k comparisons that make no difference whatsoever to anything.

If someone thinks Messi and Ronaldo are the best? Well done. Brilliant. Maradona? Pele? Fucking Janne Lindberg? Good on you.

I'm actually questioning the obsession some people have with this. Does it fucking matter? People seem to really get offended by the suggestion that anyone other than their own

favourite is the best. I certainly don't know who the best is. I don't particularly care who the best is. It does amuse me to see idiots parade about on the verge of a breakdown because people suggest one guy or the other is the best. And

then you get those who blindly defend their favourites as well and make daft as f**k comparisons that make no difference whatsoever to anything.

If someone thinks Messi and Ronaldo are the best? Well done. Brilliant. Maradona? Pele? Fucking Janne Lindberg? Good on you.

Longer version of my post above IMO. Completely agree obviously, who really cares.

Maradona > Pele > Messi.

Messi still has plenty of career time to change this order. Unconvinced that he has the mentality to put the debate beyond question, though.

Voted for Zidane as i've not seen a player glide across the pitch so effortlessly as he did. Scored some wonder goals aswell.

I'm with you here, favourite is still Zidane. Like viewing art, poetry and classical music in football form. Absolutely mesmerizing.

Maradona > Pele > Messi.

Messi still has plenty of career time to change this order. Unconvinced that he has the mentality to put the debate beyond question, though.

I'm with you here, favourite is still Zidane. Like viewing art, poetry and classical music in football form. Absolutely mesmerizing.

Calm down eh. Fucking poetry? He was kicking a fucking ball. Jesus.

I don't understand the recent denigration of Pele as a footballer. Fair enough he's an absolute twat of a man but he was, and to some still is, the best player on the planet. Pele played in 4 World cups and won 3. He was kicked out of two of them 62 and 66. After he retired it took Brazil 24 years to win their fourth. Zagalo who played alongside Pele in their victory in 1958,and managed him in 1970, is in no doubt that Pele is head and shoulders above Maradona. Archie MacPherson believes Maradona is the better player because Argentina couldn't have won the World Cup without him, but Brazil could have without Pele. Weird that a player should be marked down for playing in a better team. There is probably an element of truth in what Archie says, Argentina with Maradona were a one man team, whereas Pele's Brazil was full of stars. Pele though was the biggest star.

There wasn't a doubt in anyones mind who the greatest player ever was until Maradona came along.

To knock Pele's acheivements by saying he was playing in a pub league, as some on here have said, is ridiculous. That same league provided the World Cup winners three times between 1958 and 1970.

Not quite true. Plenty of folk would still argue that Di Stefano is the best player to have played the game.

Right. That fucking Mogwai movie which just focused on him running about for two hours was one of the most hipstery things a hipster has ever hipsterised.

Not quite true. Plenty of folk would still argue that Di Stefano is the best player to have played the game.

Those people would also decry the game for going soft, and denigrate modern players for pretty much everything which is new, or different.

Glimpsing. Caressing. Petting.

I suppose you're right about the 'fucking ball' thing.

I am not so sure about that. When I was growing up in the 1960's I don't recollect a lot of talk about Di Stefano, as part of the Real Madrid team yes but not as an individual. To my memory the name generally bandied about at that time was Puskas. Regardless, any arguments would have been around Pele's early days, after 1970 I don't think it was ever in doubt. Every brilliant young player who came along was generally compared to Pele.

Until Maradona came along, and soon we'll be talking about the next Messi.

I never understand why some people are so desperate for everybody to agree with them on who is the best ever. Does anyone really care who was the best ever? I have my own opinions on it but really don't care about other views whereas others are completely adamant that they're right and it's like a mission to convince everyone.

Pretty much this. I voted Maradona but I accept others will disagree. Of the modern game I actually think C Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi but again I don't expect folk to agree, it's all about opinions.

Archived