Sportsound Watch

It's word for word almost the same response I received when I emailed them about the time they devoted to The Rangers when they were in the lower leagues compared to other teams. Especially when they were in their earlier "situation" with them, which is now happening again. They clearly have a stock response that is topped and tailed, and they just make a meagre attempt at specifying a little about what the particular complaint is about.

It just smacks of "f**k off, we're doing what we want even though we're publicly funded and there's f**k all you can do about it".

That's pretty much it. If you don't like it, tough. GTF. We know best and we'll continue doing just what we like.

You forgot Pat Bonner and his encyclopaedic knowledge of teams outwith Celtic.

Edit: f*cking autocorrect - outwith is a word!!!!!

I've not even started on the endless supply of excruciatingly bad ex-player pundits they wheel in. Or the various dreadful ex-managers hooring themselves on the radio for any jobs going.

51 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Edit: f*cking autocorrect - outwith is a word!!!!!

It's a word that's not really used outside (outwith?) Scotland - which surprised me but explains why autocorrect doesn't like it...

On the rare occasion I'm not at a game and able to listen to Sportsound when games are on - I just find the Open all Mics thing a fucking shambles. On the rare occasion that an interesting discussion strikes up, Biscuits invariably goes "OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHGOALNOHITTHEBARNOOFFSIDE!!!!!!!" and then Chick Young says something completely random into the resultiung milisecond of silence. /Offswitch

48 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It's word for word almost the same response I received when I emailed them about the time they devoted to The Rangers when they were in the lower leagues compared to other teams. Especially when they were in their earlier "situation" with them, which is now happening again. They clearly have a stock response that is topped and tailed, and they just make a meagre attempt at specifying a little about what the particular complaint is about.

It just smacks of "f**k off, we're doing what we want even though we're publicly funded and there's f**k all you can do about it".

You complained about lower league s coverage four years ago.

You also complained when the championship coverage stopped with bt sports this season.

Are you ever fcuking happy?

You 

Premier League B teams and

'non-English' clubs will not be included in plans to reform the structure of English league football, according to the EFL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37440689

Anyone want to start a sweepie on how many hours will be devoted to this on Sportsound tonight?

Apparently the money Alloa get for tonight's game will keep them going for another couple of years.

This sort of stuff is unbelievable, really unbelievable.

Ok in Scottish terms Alloa are a smaller club but they are a business and are capable of business planning for the future.

You'd think by the way the speak that in every cup draw the Alloa board of directors are running about the boardroom with their hair on fire if they don't draw Celtic or Rangers.

Word to sport sound et al, clubs can manage their cash flow without the help of the blue or hooped pound, they are competent human beings.

7 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

If you don't like it, tough. GTF. We know best and we'll continue doing just what we like...but just keep coughing up the tv tax or we'll jail you.

And there you have it. The policy of the BBC as a whole summed up perfectly.

10 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Roaster pundit Ferguson is obvs popular and I'm swimming against the tide of public opinion. Chick Young is a national treasure, not a sad act who has stolen a wage for years and who should have been put out to pasture. Willie Miller is a quality pundit too, despite his lack of even the most basic research on any subject he voices an opinion on.

I agree on a lot of this particular the lack of research by most they need some fresh blood in on a Saturday. It's hit an miss for me although more guys along lines of Tam McManus (whos really good imo ) should be in freshen the show up. I don't mind Ferguson at least is enthusiastic some sound as if would rather be oot shopping with th burd!!

On 20/09/2016 at 15:22, williemillersmoustache said:

Favourite ferguson-isms from last night:

Coming up here he'd have knewen [known] what he was getting into :lol:

If I felt a touch, someone, touching me, I'd go down :thumbsdown

Aberdeen it's always a nasty one, goes back to the Durant thing. :bairn

The illiterate, cheating, failure getting any air time is an absolute scandal. 

unnamed (12).gif

McManus is excellent, and I too appreciate Ferguson's enthusiasm.
I met DF just before the play offs and he was very complimentary and knowledgeable about Falkirk and championship football in general.

From the few times I've heard McManus on the radio, he does seem quite good.

Ferguson may be enthusiastic but he doesn't come across well on the radio. Not for me anyway. What was he saying about the Championship? He does cover a lot of Championship games so you'd think most people who did that would be fairly knowledgable about it.

It was just before we played Hibs, so he was talking about us mostly (knowing I am a FFC fan), in particular how Housty had us playing, and pointing out one or two things we used well, for example Luke Leahy overlapping, and the fitness of the side that had seen us score so many late goals.

He also had a good handle on Hibs and Rovers, although I can't remember a great deal of detail.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

23 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was just before we played Hibs, so he was talking about us mostly (knowing I am a FFC fan), in particular how Housty had us playing, and pointing out one or two things we used well, for example Luke Leahy overlapping, and the fitness of the side that had seen us score so many late goals.

He also had a good handle on Hibs and Rovers, although I can't remember a great deal of detail.

To be fair, while he's not the most eloquent in the world, I do enjoy if he's the dude that's been sent to cover a Sons game for OAM.  He is enthusiastic, and seems to know more than the other pundits about the sides that are playing.  Any other guys sent to the Championship games, particularly lower end like we are usually at, come across as treating their day as if they've been sentenced to a week's detention, rather than to give a service to the programme's listeners.

Willie Miller broke ranks last night and said that Scottish football doesn't need Celtic and Sevco and that if they fucked off we'd be fine.

I was expecting him to start laughing and say he was just taking the piss, but he was serious. He did say he used to think we did need them (never specified why though) but that now the sponsorship money is so low, it wouldn't make a difference if they left (obviously he was inferring that they bring in sponsorship money that clubs rely on, but that of course is bollocks unless you're a fan of the juniors*).

If Miller isn't on the show tomorrow then it's likely he'll have been imprisoned at the Pacific Quay dungeon where he will undergo more brainwashing so that he never dares deviate from the script ever again. 

*Those who've read the 'Too many clubs?' thread in the Fan's View forum will now what I'm on about.

Have to say the 'discussion' on Martin canning's comments re: Ali Crawford/Greg Docherty etc was an embarrassment. I'm usually ok with Sportsound, and one of the few who actually enjoys Open All mics, but last night neither Willie Miller nor Jim McInally seemed able to either a) understand MC's comments (clearly talking about Scotland teams at all ages, not suggesting Accies players should go straight into the full Scotland squad) or b) provide any kind of comment on the form of Ali Crawford or Greg Docherty's form this season whatsoever. I'm not expecting every pundit to know everything about every player throughout the leagues, but surely a cursory glance at highlights of EVERY team and reading the match reports would give them enough of a clue.

Having said that, I did laugh at WM's chat with the car park attendant at Pittodrie.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Always thought Tam Mcmanus sounds utterly pathetic on his match report. I got back to the car last Saturday literally to hear him starting the report from Cappielow and it sounded like an 8 year old had put it together.

I get the feeling the guys on championship games are often told to keep quiet unless it's a goal, he was pretty quiet on OAM, which i quite like listening to, I think there are too many guys who have been on OAM for ages that McMAnus doesn't feel confident to join in the 'banter'.  MCManus must be a decent enough journalist his blog recently has proved to have some interesting insights to the Scottish game.

I like OAM as well simply so I can keep up to date with as many Scottish scores as possible and get a feeling for what's going on. Some of the patter is dross but you occasionally get a wee nugget of gold.

Sounds like Magic Hat got his BBC contract and stopped trying as hard... :whistle