Sportsound Watch

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Listened to the aftermath of the Celtic-City game. First things first, Celtic played brilliant and proved most people wrong. Stunning performance.

However, someone mentioned (maybe Bonner?) that it was a great result because City will have 10 times the amount of budget that Celtic operate on, so I thought to myself hold on here, ICT just drew 2-2 with Celtic only a few weeks ago and the same media have been going on about the £20,000,000(at least) of European money that Celtic will earn from being in that Champions League not to mention their 40k+ season ticket holders, sponsorship deals ect so Celtic operate on a budget probably 20 times bigger than ICT and they didn't cream themselves a couple of weeks ago over that result.

It was a great result for Celtic first and foremost and a wee get it up ye to English football but it was only a draw and City never really looked like losing. 

I'm guessing my point is why do the guys not cream over results like that by Aberdeen and ICT but only slate the OF after dropping points but when Celtic do it to Man City they are acting like its the biggest shock in European football history.

A million times this. It's probably a similar ration in the budget difference between Celtic and the teams they play in Europe and Celtic and the clubs they play here, but it's barely mentioned when it's a league game.

The reaction after they got thumped by Barca was a joke. In one paper the player ratings were all 5s and 6s for Celtic - how often do you see that when someone is thumped at Parkhead?

Not on sportsound - but on the BBC website, I love the banner they've created for the team of the month, assuming that it would always contain Rangers players. They pulled it after less than an hour  :)

5ls3ft.png

Edited by Swello

Rough figures were published in one of those "BBC investigates the state of the game" type things, but in Scotland most - maybe all? - clubs have ticket income as their largest single income stream... In many cases it's something like 40-50% of income and obviously other income - like catering sales, hospitality, sponsor board value and so on - is linked to crowds or directly depends on them. I might even be mis-remembering and its an even higher %. It's absolutely fundamental.

I can't recall them doing one for a while but when they publish a "league table of turnover" and a "league tables of salaries" in Scotland, you usually find that these correspond roughly to attendances as well, though not precisely. For example I recall that St Johnstone seemed to be particularly efficient, and Kilmarnock's was askew as it included the hotel operating.

Of course the point is that attendances, turnover and wages certainly don't correspond directly to performance. We're always told that Rangers and Celtic would rise to the very top of English football because of their crowds and fanbase - why have Newcastle been under-achieving for 20yrs, then, despite having a huge support and attendances similar to OF?

Yup. Newcastle, Villa and Leeds make a mockery of the big crowds = big success theory.

Epsecially Leeds. They'd be in the top four with Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal every season if a club's fan base was so important.

Sadly for them though, it isn't. They've been out of the top flight for over a decade now and haven't even been close to returning recently.

26 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Worth noting that Newcastle have bigger crowds than Liverpool, Man City, Spurs and Chelsea.

When was the last time they finished above either of those 4?

In terms of the "Big 6" of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool they haven't finished above Chelsea and Liverpool since 2011-12; Man City since 2006-07; Spurs since 2003-04; Arsenal since 1996-97; and Man Utd since 1976-77 :lol:...

Since EPL began in 1992-93 their average position - not considering 3 seasons in the second tier - has been 10th.

They have only qualified for CL thrice (last in 2003-04) - on one occasion exiting in qualifiers - plus reached 2 cup finals and 2 cup SFs (only one SF since 1999-00).

Yet average 49,000-52,000.

Yup. Newcastle, Villa and Leeds make a mockery of the big crowds = big success theory.

Epsecially Leeds. They'd be in the top four with Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal every season if a club's fan base was so important.

Sadly for them though, it isn't. They've been out of the top flight for over a decade now and haven't even been close to returning recently.

Leeds currently have the 7th highest average attendance in the championship

In terms of the "Big 6" of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool they haven't finished above Chelsea and Liverpool since 2011-12; Man City since 2006-07; Spurs since 2003-04; Arsenal since 1996-97; and Man Utd since 1976-77 :lol:...

Since EPL began in 1992-93 their average position - not considering 3 seasons in the second tier - has been 10th.

They have only qualified for CL thrice (last in 2003-04) - on one occasion exiting in qualifiers - plus reached 2 cup finals and 2 cup SFs (only one SF since 1999-00).

Yet average 49,000-52,000.

Two appearances in the group stage puts them 6th

Joint Sixth with Spurs as of this season

Probably the way they 3 clubs have been run... Tbh

Surprised no Hibee hasn't picked up on Lennon saying we and us over and over, Bonner said it too lol

Half listening tonight to the wireless and Radio Scotland as I was mucking about with the bairns.
I definitely picked up that McAvennie and Amy Macdonald were on. Both good value. Someone called Tom on? Boyd, Forsyth, Cruise, O' Connor f**k knows. Couldn't pick the voice out.
But it kinda went like this.
"So is the English Championship a better standard of football than Scottish Football"
Tom whoever, "oh yes, aye apart from Rangers and Celtic"
Why did nobody pull him up on that crap.
I've 2 issues with that. Firstly Celtic, and i ain't a fan, IMO would probably win that league now. Secondly Rangers would be nowhere near it and are 5th up here and probably deserve to be so?????

4 minutes ago, jim999 said:

Half listening tonight to the wireless and Radio Scotland as I was mucking about with the bairns.
I definitely picked up that McAvennie and Amy Macdonald were on. Both good value. Someone called Tom on? Boyd, Forsyth, Cruise, O' Connor f**k knows. Couldn't pick the voice out.
But it kinda went like this.
"So is the English Championship a better standard of football than Scottish Football"
Tom whoever, "oh yes, aye apart from Rangers and Celtic"
Why did nobody pull him up on that crap.
I've 2 issues with that. Firstly Celtic, and i ain't a fan, IMO would probably win that league now. Secondly Rangers would be nowhere near it and are 5th up here and probably deserve to be so?????

'Thommo', maybe? Steven Thompson was on tonight.

Didn't sound like him. Did cross my mind

It was him. The show was ok tonight. No idea why Amy MacDonald was on, but she was pretty good.

Thomson is a decent enough pundit. I generally like Speirs, and Frank MacAvennie was okay tonight.

Amy McDonald was decent, and particularly forthright on the "why do we talk ourselves down" stuff.

However, there was a bit of an irony failure in the way she illustrated it... Her main examples were that crowds here are increasingly terrible - the inevitable "dwindling" was thrown in - and that they manage to do things so much bigger/better/richer in England (which she also cited as an example of success despite the fact their national team come up as short as ours compared to expectations). Both are actually great examples of wrongly talking ourselves down or making unfair comparisons that reflect badly!

Chats about having realistic expectations, but ambition and confidence being the aim to win the group, also confused.

No respect for her.

Made out to be a football expert because she was engaged to Lovell and now Foster.

Her whining about AFC fans giving poor Ricky a hard time was pathetic.

Funny that in an era where BBC Scotland are dropping their pants to the Sevco hordes, even got ex player birds on now...

No respect for her.

Made out to be a football expert because she was engaged to Lovell and now Foster.

Her whining about AFC fans giving poor Ricky a hard time was pathetic.

Funny that in an era where BBC Scotland are dropping their pants to the Sevco hordes, even got ex player birds on now...

Didn't some footballer ex throw her through a hairdressers window? Doubt if it was Lovell's style but shocking anyway.

Richard Foster has all the hallmarks of a Saints legend btw.