Sportsound Watch

As one of the old fashioned types who likes to avoid the English results, I don't tend to listen to Sportsound on a Saturday now as they keep giving you the English scores during the game. I know many people want to know the scores and I'm a bit of an oddbod that way but it's still an example of BBC Scotland giving more of a damn about the game down south than up here. Especially when you have RG saying things like "we're just trying to get that score confirmed" yet being able to tell you the scorer and how many goals he's scored as soon as it goes in. 

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I get the feeling the guys on championship games are often told to keep quiet unless it's a goal, he was pretty quiet on OAM, which i quite like listening to, I think there are too many guys who have been on OAM for ages that McMAnus doesn't feel confident to join in the 'banter'.  MCManus must be a decent enough journalist his blog recently has proved to have some interesting insights to the Scottish game.

http://www.tammcmanus.com/single-post/2016/09/23/A-Trialist His blogs are superb reading to be fair. I agree he can't get a word in edge ways at times but when he does he's worth listening to IMO 

His first one about B teams was a load of shite, gave up after that, boys a numpty.

The trialist one is self-serving nonsense with glib one liners and no insight whatsoever. He also trolls Twitter constantly. I can see why he's on Sportsound - he's Michael Stewart lite.

Just love listening to muppets like Derek Ferguson, Chic, Billy Dodds and Allan Preston kissing each other's arses all day and being afraid to say anything that could upset a mate of theirs in the game....

The standard of sports "journalism" in Scotland is a shambles.

They were discussing the Aberdeen statement about the semifinal kickoff time there, and referred to a UEFA rule that you can't have live televised games between 2 and 5 on a Saturday. 

The intellectual giant that is Chic Young jumps in stating "hang on, doesn't the EPL have a 4pm game on a Sunday?"

Quickly ridiculed by Richard Gordon.

I always listen to Sportsound on the car radio on the way back from Firhill - it's good to hear a neutral view on the game and to catch up on the scores and match reports for the other teams. 

Today, I got back to the car just after 5 o'clock...there was about 15 minutes of chat and interviews about the game at Parkhead including Pat Bonnar's blether then most of the rest of the programme to 5.30 was devoted to a pointless series of archive material & interviews with former Rangers players on the hostility towards Aberdeen, dwelling on the Simpson/Durrant incident - no mention of Willie Johnston's assault on John McMaster which as far as I can recall was the source of the antagonism. Willie Miller commented that he was disappointed in the content. 

Why does the BBC's flagship football programme pander so much to a Club that bans one of their reporters who committed the serious offence of mentioning their sectarian singing ?

Other than a quick run through of the scores, there was no acknowlegment that other games had actually taken place..

I didn't hear this but alternative maryhill mentioned that Stewart Gilmour claimed on Sportsound that the ICT v Dundee crowd at Hampden in 2003 was 7,000.

The crowd that day was something like 15,000 (so he was pretty close) but of course no one corrected him on this.

This is what frustrates me about Sportsound - most of it is complete rubbish, made up fluff or just total lies which are never corrected for fear of upsetting on of their commentator or other football pals. A joke of a programme.

13 minutes ago, RiG said:

I didn't hear this but alternative maryhill mentioned that Stewart Gilmour claimed on Sportsound that the ICT v Dundee crowd at Hampden in 2003 was 7,000.

The crowd that day was something like 15,000 (so he was pretty close) but of course no one corrected him on this.

This is what frustrates me about Sportsound - most of it is complete rubbish, made up fluff or just total lies which are never corrected for fear of upsetting on of their commentator or other football pals. A joke of a programme.

Nobody would have corrected him because nobody in the studio would have known any better.

That's the bit that annoys me most.

45 minutes ago, RiG said:

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nobody would have corrected him because nobody in the studio would have known any better.

That's the bit that annoys me most.

It was actually on Off the Ball rather than Sportsound, but yeah, not only did no-one correct him, Stuart Cosgrove went on to say that it should have been played at Macdiarmid, when of course, if they'd had any idea of the real attendance, they would have known that the crowd couldn't possibly have fitted into Macdiarmid. I know it seems a really petty thing to get irritated by, but it did annoy me that a guest is able to come on and talk complete shite, implicitly talking down ICT and Dundee in the process, and the show's presenter takes it and runs with it to try to make some completely spurious point. 

2 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

I always listen to Sportsound on the car radio on the way back from Firhill - it's good to hear a neutral view on the game and to catch up on the scores and match reports for the other teams. 

Today, I got back to the car just after 5 o'clock...there was about 15 minutes of chat and interviews about the game at Parkhead including Pat Bonnar's blether then most of the rest of the programme to 5.30 was devoted to a pointless series of archive material & interviews with former Rangers players on the hostility towards Aberdeen, dwelling on the Simpson/Durrant incident - no mention of Willie Johnston's assault on John McMaster which as far as I can recall was the source of the antagonism. Willie Miller commented that he was disappointed in the content. 

Why does the BBC's flagship football programme pander so much to a Club that bans one of their reporters who committed the serious offence of mentioning their sectarian singing ?

Other than a quick run through of the scores, there was no acknowlegment that other games had actually taken place..

No one is banned by Rangers, the bbc imposed their own ban.

As for pandering to Rangers :lol:

2 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

It was actually on Off the Ball rather than Sportsound, but yeah, not only did no-one correct him, Stuart Cosgrove went on to say that it should have been played at Macdiarmid, when of course, if they'd had any idea of the real attendance, they would have known that the crowd couldn't possibly have fitted into Macdiarmid. I know it seems a really petty thing to get irritated by, but it did annoy me that a guest is able to come on and talk complete shite, implicitly talking down ICT and Dundee in the process, and the show's presenter takes it and runs with it to try to make some completely spurious point. 

That actually makes more sense.

Stuart and Tam are spectacularly ignorant.  They constantly get things wrong when they attempt any kind of recall and they certainly aren't equipped to correct anyone else's nonsense. 

I've said before on here that maybe the "ill informed" boast buys them some licence.  Surely it can only take them so far though.  I think it's getting worse.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

No one is banned by Rangers, the bbc imposed their own ban.

As for pandering to Rangers :lol:

Didn't Rangers ban a particular reporter, prompting the BBC to not send an alternative?

Genuine inquiry here.  That was myunderstanding.  Am I mistaken?

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Didn't Rangers ban a particular reporter, prompting the BBC to not send an alternative?

Genuine inquiry here.  That was myunderstanding.  Am I mistaken?

Removed press privileges, he can still go to ibrox if he wishes too.

18 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

And someone who has attended games of football in this country should at least get the name of the ground mentioned right too then?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What, in that he can buy a ticket.  He was banned in a professional capacity.  

Your remark about nobody being banned was essentially dishonest then.

Being banned would mean he couldn't enter the stadium.

Like Jum Spence was at Dundee ( the beeb sent someone else)

Like Keevins and klaxon at them.

I'm sure there are other examples out there