Sportsound Watch

So no actual impact that you can point to at all then?

Ha ha.

Well done. You win the internet argument.

Do these meetings take place or not? Those arguing for a better deal for our game are trying to sell our game and get the best deal. Do you admit that this happens?

I think they're doing a bad job but that doesn't mean to say that stuff like this is irrelevant. I don't think it is. Look at how sky advertise their big games, their rivalries. That stuff matters in these negotiations.

Very simple question.
Do you accept that there is a negative financial consequence of our major teams being out the top flight?

Not for my club, which is all that matters. The period of Rangers' death through to Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United all being farted out of the league has coincided with Partick Thistle's most successful period in about a generation - we're bigger, better and richer than we have been in 20 years.

It's no surprise that the only people concerned about things like how 'exciting' games are/ the success of 'our clubs' in Europe/ the appeal of Scottish football to some non-existent market as some TV 'product', are fans of ambitionless bumpkin seaside clubs with not a hope in hell of ever actually participating in, and contributing to, said 'product'.

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sportsound pundits were having a big pop at Rodgers the other night ffs because of what he'd said about Craig Gordon. This isn't some anti Caley thing. Listen to the show and the podcast all the time and it hasn't even crossed my mind once.

Sportsound having a "big pop at Rodgers"

Aye right. :lol:

Not for my club, which is all that matters. The period of Rangers' death through to Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United all being farted out of the league has coincided with Partick Thistle's most successful period in about a generation - we're bigger, better and richer than we have been in 20 years.

It's no surprise that the only people concerned about things like how 'exciting' games are/ the success of 'our clubs' in Europe/ the appeal of Scottish football to some non-existent market as some TV 'product', are fans of ambitionless bumpkin seaside clubs with not a hope in hell of ever actually participating in, and contributing to, said 'product'.

Yes, because my view has an impact on the running of ayr.

I'm glad thistle, and others, are doing well. But the bigger issue remains.

37 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yes, because my view has an impact on the running of ayr.

I'm glad thistle, and others, are doing well. But the bigger issue remains.

What bigger issue? Hibs and Dundee United were relegated because they weren't good enough to stay up and if they don't come back up it's because they aren't good enough to do that either. That's not an issue to be resolved for Scottish football as a whole, it's an issue for Hibs and Dundee United.

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 20:57, Larbert_Par said:

He was fuming over your game on Saturday. I imagined him shaking with anger as he described how awful he felt it was.
Why can't folk like that not realise, like the rest of us, that the "natural order" is decided on the pitch?

Does that apply to 2003?

Feel it was more stands related then

What bigger issue? Hibs and Dundee United were relegated because they weren't good enough to stay up and if they don't come back up it's because they aren't good enough to do that either. That's not an issue to be resolved for Scottish football as a whole, it's an issue for Hibs and Dundee United.

Yeah that's obvious. Both those teams are where they are on merit. No-one is suggesting that anything be done to change that (if they are they're just flat out wrong, it's one of the basic principles of sport).

My point is a simple one. When deals are being done (behind closed doors) involving TV rights and sponsorships - the overall product of Scottish football is slightly weakened when the biggest clubs and rivals are not in the top league.

This is not a point about football. It's a point about money, and financing. And unfortunately that stuff matters quite a lot.

Personally, I'm delighted to see united and hibs in our league. It's certainly shuffled things a bit, made it more interesting, and I'm sure reinvigorated those individual clubs (certainly in hibs case anyway).

But the point about the overall product of our game stands.

TV companies don't give a f**k about the Edinburgh derby or Dundee derby, which is why the TV deal dropped despite them being in the top flight.

TV companies don't give a f**k about the Edinburgh derby or Dundee derby, which is why the TV deal dropped despite them being in the top flight.

Of course it dropped. Rangers were a huge loss from their pov.

Like I say, I don't think the other big clubs are as important, but I think they contribute to the package as a whole. Edinburgh and Dundee derbies are almost always on the telly. I think they matter a bit.

Of course it dropped. Rangers were a huge loss from their pov.

Like I say, I don't think the other big clubs are as important, but I think they contribute to the package as a whole. Edinburgh and Dundee derbies are almost always on the telly. I think they matter a bit.

St Johnstone v Aberdeen is a televised game every season, league would be worse off without it IMO

St Johnstone v Aberdeen is a televised game every season, league would be worse off without it IMO

That's the one I look out for at the start of the season.

Is there a list of viewing figures for the live Scottish Premiership games? I'm assuming Sevco v Celtic has the highest viewing figures. Is there a list of highest to lowest viewing figures?

So tonight's programme is a hitch-pitch of commentary and Open All Mics, focusing on the games involving Celtic and Sevco. 

They don't even try to hide it now. They can't not do commentary on the cheeks, but at the same time they can't be seen as showing bias towards one or the other. 

Oh, and there might be another game somewhere tonight. 

So tonight's programme is a hitch-pitch of commentary and Open All Mics, focusing on the games involving Celtic and Sevco. 
They don't even try to hide it now. They can't not do commentary on the cheeks, but at the same time they can't be seen as showing bias towards one or the other. 
Oh, and there might be another game somewhere tonight. 

Aye but it's just the pishy wee teams so no-one's bothered [emoji13]

Anyone hear that shitfest last night?

Everyone talking over each other, Chick Young shouting the countdown on the transfer window closing when someone else is trying to talk about the deals that might still have been on. Derek Ferguson attempting to change the subject of conversation with 2 minutes to midnight. 

It was a rambling mess.

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Ha ha.

Well done. You win the internet argument.

Do these meetings take place or not? Those arguing for a better deal for our game are trying to sell our game and get the best deal. Do you admit that this happens?

I think they're doing a bad job but that doesn't mean to say that stuff like this is irrelevant. I don't think it is. Look at how sky advertise their big games, their rivalries. That stuff matters in these negotiations.

Of course they'll cite such things in selling TV deals, but as we've seen, even when the biggest fixture is removed for four years, it doesn't make a huge difference, so the absence of Hibs or Dundee United will barely register.  

As already pointed out though, your purely financial terms here are extremely narrow.  But even within those, the impact here will be close to negligible.

The desire to view finances purely as regards ill divided gross income, is a bit daft in truth.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

So live commentary of both rangers and Celtic simultaneously, but the other game might only get a mention if there's a goal? Pish.

What were you expecting? We were always getting ignored tonight.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

So live commentary of both rangers and Celtic simultaneously, but the other game might only get a mention if there's a goal? Pish.

How are they doing two at the same time?