Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

State of “biscuits” at a hearts goal vs Motherwell.😂

I can’t wait until Hearts sell Shankland and Preston shuts the f**k up. Even name checked Willie Miller for some reason. Boy’s an utter w**k.

That Celtic fan they had on was an absolute throbber.

Going on about Scottish clubs should copy the Sociedad model. 

Celtic have a brilliant youth system, they just don't use it!

Aberdeen fan may have been worse but I had to nip in to the shop just as he started a verbal assault on Tom English.

It was quite good to hear English taking Kenny to task for being a giddy wee lassie about Neil Warnock. His "so what?" response to SKY SPORTS ATTENDING THE PRESS CONFERENCE was good.

Tom English is far from perfect, but I think he subtly brought some good points up yesterday about the direction of the show. He expressed confusion and borderline dismay at McIntyre's excitement at someone coming on to "have a pop". Quite right to express contempt for this as part of BBC Scotland's main Scottish football output. It was utterly risible in tone, and fair play to him and Michael Stewart for trying to bring the conversation with the Aberdeen fan round to football, rather than the sensationist shite that whole segment was.

And he's right about the Warnock fuss. I think Warnock's a good coach and I don't think Aberdeen hiring him is a terrible idea if it's just till the summer. While it wouldn't be my choice for my club, I can see a rationale there. But the fawning is daft. He's not Guardiola, he's not doing us all some massive favour by being here, and his wee quips generally aren't as funny as the media make out. The BBC Scotland interviewer at Pittodrie yesterday had a noticeably different tone with the two coaches. They're all dying for Warnock's approval when they talk to him, and I think it's right that someone points out how stupid they're all being.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Tom English is far from perfect, but I think he subtly brought some good points up yesterday about the direction of the show. He expressed confusion and borderline dismay at McIntyre's excitement at someone coming on to "have a pop". Quite right to express contempt for this as part of BBC Scotland's main Scottish football output.

You could tell from English’s reaction that he can’t stand Macintyre.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

You could tell from English’s reaction that he can’t stand Macintyre.

Got heavy vibes of that, aye.

And, to be fair, his point about Kenny's excitement over someone "having a pop" is entirely correct.

The show shouldn't be about that stuff. It's a sad reflection of where Sportsound is now that that call was even allowed to happen. And McIntyre's excitement about it is symptomatic of just how bad the whole operation is just now. I was in the car at that point and spent the whole time wondering if I could imagine Richard Gordon conducting that coversation in the same way. I cannot.

From a professional point of view, he (Kenny) must be awful to work with if you're trying to do the job properly.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I'm no particular fan of Willie Miller, but I don't see the crime here.

Hoilett was played for Blackburn, QPR, Cardiff, and Reading, as well as MLS and with small clubs in Germany. There will be literally hundreds of players of that profile that none of us on here will be able to say more than "Don't know much about him but he's a ___ international". Don't really see the issue.

Does anyone one here genuinely "know much" abut him?

Surely the main point surrounding Sky Sports attending Warnock’s press conferences should be “They’re the main broadcast partners, why weren’t they there before?” rather than “Isn’t it wonderful that they finally took pity on our game?”

58 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm no particular fan of Willie Miller, but I don't see the crime here.

Hoilett was played for Blackburn, QPR, Cardiff, and Reading, as well as MLS and with small clubs in Germany. There will be literally hundreds of players of that profile that none of us on here will be able to say more than "Don't know much about him but he's a ___ international". Don't really see the issue.

Does anyone one here genuinely "know much" abut him?

He's played in the Premier League, the Championship and the World Cup. If you haven't come across him at some point then you don't watch enough football to get paid for your opinions on it

5 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's played in the Premier League, the Championship and the World Cup. If you haven't come across him at some point then you don't watch enough football to get paid for your opinions on it

Nah, that's nonsense.

Willie Miller covers Aberdeen matches for Sportsound. This lad has played for low-profile teams in all the competitions you mention. It's perfectly acceptable to not know detailed info on the guy.

Willie Miller is paid to give his opinions on the performance of the Aberdeen team and to update listeners on their matches. That's it.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It was quite good to hear English taking Kenny to task for being a giddy wee lassie about Neil Warnock. His "so what?" response to SKY SPORTS ATTENDING THE PRESS CONFERENCE was good.

Tom English is far from perfect, but I think he subtly brought some good points up yesterday about the direction of the show. He expressed confusion and borderline dismay at McIntyre's excitement at someone coming on to "have a pop". Quite right to express contempt for this as part of BBC Scotland's main Scottish football output. It was utterly risible in tone, and fair play to him and Michael Stewart for trying to bring the conversation with the Aberdeen fan round to football, rather than the sensationist shite that whole segment was.

And he's right about the Warnock fuss. I think Warnock's a good coach and I don't think Aberdeen hiring him is a terrible idea if it's just till the summer. While it wouldn't be my choice for my club, I can see a rationale there. But the fawning is daft. He's not Guardiola, he's not doing us all some massive favour by being here, and his wee quips generally aren't as funny as the media make out. The BBC Scotland interviewer at Pittodrie yesterday had a noticeably different tone with the two coaches. They're all dying for Warnock's approval when they talk to him, and I think it's right that someone points out how stupid they're all being.

He made a totally benign comment in his interview after Motherwell where he basically said you saw the team play how he wanted but only after we went 3-0 down. They returned to macintyre who claimed it was some sort of belting comment. I was genuinely confused and it’s pathetic. 

It’s actually quite insulting to Aberdeen that he’s treated as some sort of novelty act. Let talksport run that angle and why not bbc actually tell us what he’s bringing from a football perspective. 

The coverage of Warnock has been laughable. 

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Nah, that's nonsense.

Willie Miller covers Aberdeen matches for Sportsound. This lad has played for low-profile teams in all the competitions you mention. It's perfectly acceptable to not know detailed info on the guy.

Willie Miller is paid to give his opinions on the performance of the Aberdeen team and to update listeners on their matches. That's it.

Ok put it another way, I don't think the tax payer should be paying the wages of a professional Aberdeen fan that can't be arsed doing the slightest bit of research