Sportsound Watch

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The puritan dinosaurs on sportsound always do a great hatchet job on every manager that doesn't speak the same language as they do.
The so-called expert opinion plants the seed of doubt to every listener before the manager takes charge of his first game.

I'd say it's more the biased opinion against anyone who "husny played eh game". There is a collective heads gone at the thought of someone without a career in professional football knowing more about it than them. Yet these same twats will talk up the likes of Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho without even the slightest sense of hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

All his “clear everybody out” nonsense, is just that, nonsense. No matter who they have on Sportsound, there are going to be folk on here that will be offended or just not happy. The fact that they all know each other, or to put it the P&B way “cliquey”, is what makes the shows, usually, interesting. And just to clear things up, you will never find find another anchor, and play with that as you will, as good as Richard Gordon.

Who's offended here?

I think what folk want is pundits who can be impartial and, more importantly, actually know and indeed care about the teams and games they cover. That's certainly what I would like. Often Willie Miller seems miserable to be at games and hasn't the slightest clue about many of the teams he has to watch (although Pat Bonner is probably the leading offender on not having a clue about the players and teams he's paid to watch and comment on).

I don't find the fact that they played golf together the other day interesting, and I don't think it adds anything to the show at all. 

Why can't there be another anchor as good as Richard Gordon? He'll be replaced one day anyway.

Some episodes of Sportsound are a very good listen - mainly ones with English, Stewart and Kenny McIntyre. Anything made up exclusively with Ferguson, Currie, Miller or Preston is unlistenable. You would be better listen to the utter cretins in your local boozer than that bunch.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I think the point is quite clear.

We're using the thread about Sportsound to talk about one of the presenters on Sportsound and things that he said on Sportsound that Sportsound themselves found to have created enough of a backlash that they felt the need to revisit the issue 48 hours later.

I doubt you'd have replied at all if people were slagging off Derek Ferguson. But you seem to have employed Old Firm fan levels of obfuscation simply because the current object of widespread derision once played for the football team you support.

That's kind of sad.

Lewis Ferguson's da? Doubt it!

It doesn't bother me who Willie played for. I think it is a trivial matter and made the point. It was a stupid thing to say but has no bearing in the grand scheme of things.

I find it sad that days later you are still upset about the comments made by somebody you've described as a cretin, a p***k and not bright.

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I'd say it's more the biased opinion against anyone who "husny played eh game". There is a collective heads gone at the thought of someone without a career in professional football knowing more about it than them. Yet these same twats will talk up the likes of Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho without even the slightest sense of hypocrisy.

For me it's not just a parochial mindset it's the xenophobic outlook and the constant natural negativity they spout week in week out. 

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Lewis Ferguson's da? Doubt it!

It doesn't bother me who Willie played for. I think it is a trivial matter and made the point. It was a stupid thing to say but has no bearing in the grand scheme of things.

I find it sad that days later you are still upset about the comments made by somebody you've described as a cretin, a p***k and not bright.

You're still banging on about this 'trivial point'.

I'm posting about the topic of the thread.

You keep replying that the point being made related to the topic of the thread (which nobody made you open) is 'trivial', yet I'm the one who is upset?

Them numbers don't add up to me.

Simple fact is you are disagreeing with a clear-cut point (and bizarrely continuing to engage with a topic you continually declare to be 'trivial') purely because of who the cretin in question used to play for. Like I said, that's pretty sad.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

You're still banging on about this 'trivial point'.

I'm posting about the topic of the thread.

You keep replying that the point being made related to the topic of the thread (which nobody made you open) is 'trivial', yet I'm the one who is upset?

Them numbers don't add up to me.

Simple fact is you are disagreeing with a clear-cut point (and bizarrely continuing to engage with a topic you continually declare to be 'trivial') purely because of who the cretin in question used to play for. Like I said, that's pretty sad.

For the last time, it's nothing to do with who he played for. In my time supporting Aberdeen Willie Miller has given me almost nothing but negative moments. He's an ex player who I respect for what he did for the club but in the main comes across like an arsehole.

Just like Joe Harper and Gordon Strachan.

Has no bearing on how I feel about this topic.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

For the last time, it's nothing to do with who he played for. In my time supporting Aberdeen Willie Miller has given me almost nothing but negative moments. He's an ex player who I respect for what he did for the club but in the main comes across like an arsehole.

Just like Joe Harper and Gordon Strachan.

Has no bearing on how I feel about this topic.

Sure. Of course.

That just happens to be another post on this trivial matter that just happens to be about a legend of the club you support.

It's natural that you would continue to chip in on this trivial matter. No connection at all.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Sure. Of course.

That just happens to be another post on this trivial matter that just happens to be about a legend of the club you support.

It's natural that you would continue to chip in on this trivial matter. No connection at all.

Now you get it. Well done.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Who's offended here?

I think what folk want is pundits who can be impartial and, more importantly, actually know and indeed care about the teams and games they cover. That's certainly what I would like. Often Willie Miller seems miserable to be at games and hasn't the slightest clue about many of the teams he has to watch (although Pat Bonner is probably the leading offender on not having a clue about the players and teams he's paid to watch and comment on).

I don't find the fact that they played golf together the other day interesting, and I don't think it adds anything to the show at all. 

Why can't there be another anchor as good as Richard Gordon? He'll be replaced one day anyway.

My post wasn’t really directed at you specifically, just a build up of reading posts that frustrate the hell out of me, by people looking to be offended/annoyed at the slightest thing. The way I look at Richard Gordon on Sportsound is the much the same as Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and Manchester United, he has to be replaced at some time, but no one will be as good as him.

His ineptitude as a manager offers great insight into why he's so terrible as a pundit.

Willie was a decent manager - his 92/93 team in particular were a free scoring machine, who unluckily hit peak former rangers and were treble runners-up.

However, even I admit his radio stuff can be a mixed bag at best - and his seethe at McPhee stating Hearts should be a Europa League team was bizarre, as the assumption was he meant challenging for the Europa qualifying slots along with Aberdeen/Hibs, rather than being the new Sevilla.....

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Why do you all listen to a show you hate so much? 

I haven't heard Sportsound in years mainly because I don't like inane shite. I don't feel like I miss out. 

Also, Willie Miller is a bona fide deity and worth 20 of any of you mortals. 

Why are you in the thread, then?

“So Austin, if you were to become Hearts manager what would your plans be?”

”Mid table in the Scottish Premiership is the aim”

”Only that?! Why?”

“It will keep a bunch of senile old thick c***s that work for the BBC off my back”.